Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
A bookselling, printing, and stationery business was set up in High Street by Thomas Donaldson in 1791, the first such shop in Dundee. Donaldson died in 1827, and in 1830 Frederick Shaw, a former apprentice, purchased the business from Thomas Donaldson's widow. In 1850 William Kidd was taken on as an apprentice, and in 1858 the shop moved to Reform Street. Kidd continued to work there until 1871, when he set up his own shop in Union Street. On his retirement in 1875, Frederick Shaw sold his business, to Kidd, who closed both shops, opening a new one in Nethergate. When, in 1883, Whitehall Street was built, William Kidd erected 'Palace Buildings' there, in which, in 1885, he opened a large new shop with warehouses and workshop.