William Halley & Sons

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

William Halley & Sons

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The company was founded by William Halley, a flax manufacturer who became part owner of Wallace Craigie Works spinning mill, which was built in 1836. The shortage of cotton during the American Civil War resulted in a huge boom in the jute industry and by 1865 Wallace Craigie Works had doubled in size. William Halley's sons became partners in the firm at this time, and the firm became William Halley & Sons. In 1874 William Halley died, his elder son retired, and George Halley became sole proprietor. George Halley, a former Provost of Broughty Ferry died aged 66 in 1904. His sons, Alexander Campbell Halley and James Henderson Halley took over the running of the firm at this time. A. C. Halley left the business on his retirement in 1921 and died in 1944. James Henderson Halley continued in partenership with his son James R. L. Halley. Wallace Craigie Works was used by the firm until c 2004, and was demolished in 2018. From c 2004 the firm had operated from smaller premises Wester Gourdie, and the company later became JWT (Scotland) Ltd.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places