WG Grant & Co Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

WG Grant & Co Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Panmure Works were constructed in 1857 by James Smieton of the Dundee linen firm of James Smieton & Son, although the industry had already been represented in and around Barry Links prior to that date. Into the new factory went 400 power looms of the most modern type, and with 600 employees the firm soon produced from its Carnoustie branch some six million yards of finished fabric annually. In 1923 the firm changed hands to become the firm Hynd, Smieton & Hynd, and in 1932 was taken over by WG Grant & Co Ltd, Dundee Linen Works, in whose hands it remained until it went into liquidation in 1972.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places