- 1853-1999 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2.65 linear metres.
Name of creator
Baldovan Institution was founded in 1852, mainly through the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy and from voluntary contributions and fees. It was established on the north bank of the Dighty as an orphanage, hospital and place of education and training for 'imbecile' children, accommodating 30 children. As such it was the first hospital of its kind in Scotland and the second in Britain. The Orphanage opened on 30th November 1854 and the Asylum opened on 6th January 1855. In 1856 it's name was changed to Baldovan Asylum and it expanded it's operations after it received it's licence under the Lunacy Act of 1858, which legalised it's function as a home for children. It was found that contact with 'imbeciles' had a detrimental effect upon the orphans and so in 1867 the Orphanage moved to other premises and the Baldovan Asylum concentrated its efforts on the care and education of mentally handicapped children. By 1879 the number of children accommodated at the Asylum had increased to 70 and the site where the Administrative block now stands was acquired. By 1904 the Main Building wards were built and occupied by 160 children. The Mental Deficiency (Scotland) Act was passed in 1913, providing state supervision of mental defectives, which led to an increased demand for accommodation at Institutions like Baldovan. Between 1904 and 1932 further developments included another ward, staff residency, school facilities, a large Recreation Hall as well as occupational therapy and training in domestic, farm and garden work. In 1925 the Baldovan Institution Confirmation Act sanctioned the trustees to form an Incorporation with the counties of Aberdeen, Forfar (Angus), Kincardine and Perth to undertake the management of the hospital with provision for children of all four counties. In 1948 the running of the Hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. Subsequent developments included a change of name in 1959 to Strathmartine Hospital and major building works in 1963-1965, which saw the demolition of the original premises and the creation of new and improved facilities, including three new single storey wards and a swimming pool. Two new 25 bed wards were opened in 1980.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Charters, Bye-Laws and Regulations 1911-1944; Reports 1855-1985; Minutes 1853-1987; Patients' Records 1854-1991; Chromatographic Unit Records 1962-1985; Financial Records 1929-1993; Staff Records 1915-1983; Visitors' Books 1916-1966; Legal Records 1863-1924; Administration Records 1901-1976; Property Records 1901-1964; Associations and Clubs 1965-1985; Todhill Farm Training Home 1945-1958; Newspaper Cuttings 1929-1971; Publications and Histories c 1894-1999; Mental Health & Education Acts and Regulations 1913-1960; Photographs c1923-1973; Audio Cassettes 1985; Plans 1897-1967.
System of arrangement
Records are arranged chronologically within series.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The records are on paper and include photographs.
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available.
Generated finding aid
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Dates of creation revision deletion
Digital objects and photographs metadata
June 3, 2021 4:17 PM