Blairgowrie and Rattray Districts Cottage Hospital
- 1942-1983 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
0.18 linear metres
Name of creator
The idea of a hospital at Blairgowrie had been initiated by Mrs Clerk-Rattray in 1882, and on whose death bequeathed £25 for 'such an institution should it ever be founded'. Several attempts were made to get subscriptions going over the following years but they all failed. Then Mrs Macpherson of Newton Castle, Blairgowrie gifted the site and that was followed by subscriptions ranging from donations of £1000 downwards. The architect, Lake Falconer of L & J Falconer, architects, Blairgowrie, gave his services free, while furnishings and landscaping was also donated. Blairgowrie and Rattray Districts Cottage Hospital was opened on 30 May 1901, housing two large wards with room for three female and three male beds, plus more if needed. By 2020, it was part of NHS Tayside, known as Blairgowrie Community Hospital, housing a 17 bedded GP Uniit and a Minor Injury and Illness Unit
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Financial Records, 1942-1949; Patient Records, 1953-1963; Maps and Plans 1978-1983.
System of arrangement
Usually chronological within series.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The records are on paper.
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
The information for administrative/biographical history came from a report of its opening published in the Blairgowrie Advertiser, June 1, 1901, p.6, from Perth and Kinross Council Archives.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Dates of creation revision deletion