Collection THB 23 - Sunnyside Royal Hospital

Register of Lunatics in Asylum
Original Digital objects and photographs not accessible

Identity area

Reference code

THB 23

Title

Sunnyside Royal Hospital

Date(s)

  • 1781-1995 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

30.75 linear metres

Context area

Name of creator

(1781-2011)

Administrative history

The Montrose Lunatic Asylum, Infirmary and Dispensary was founded in 1781 by Mrs. Susan Carnegie of Charleton for the treatment of private and pauper patients, and was the first mental hospital in Scotland. It was built on the Montrose Links on a site bounded by Barrack Road, Ferry Road and Garrison Road and was granted a Royal Charter in 1810.
A new improved Asylum with better facilities was completed in 1858, situated on lands of Sunnyside farm, in the village of Hillside, on the outskirts of Montrose. Carnegie House was built for private patients in 1899. In 1913 the Royal Charter was amended, after which it was renamed the Royal Asylum of Montrose and that part of the Institution which consisted of the Infirmary and Dispensary was disjoined and received its own Royal Charter.
However, overcrowding was a problem with patient numbers reaching 670 by 1900, precipitating the need for further accommodation. As a result, Howden Villa was completed in 1901 and Northesk Villa was completed in 1904. Westmount Cottages were built in 1905 to house the extra staff required to care of the additional patients. The lease of Sunnyside Farm expired in 1911 and over 52 acres were purchased for the sum of £4500. Angus House was built in 1939 to accommodate elderly patients suffering from dementia.
With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948, the Asylum was renamed the Royal Mental Hospital of Montrose and came under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Regional Hospital Board. It was again renamed in 1962, when it became Sunnyside Royal Hospital. When Sunnyside celebrated its bicentenary in 1981, the number of patients was approximately 400. The hospital closed in 2011. Many of its patients and functions were transferred to the newly opened Susan Carnegie Centre at Stracathro Hospital, Angus.

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Bye-laws, Charters and Regulations, 1811-1913; Minutes, 1797-1971; Reports, 1835-1961; Patient Records, 1813-1990; Patient Clinical Records, 1818-1962; Staff Records, 1861-1957; Visitors Books, 1891-1991; Deeds Registers, 1856-1915; Legal Documents, 1856-1945; Financial Records, 1808-1983; Administrative Records, 1911-1991; Property Records, 1885-1969; Sunnyside Bi-Centenary Celebration Records, 1976-1981; Leisure and Recreation Records, 1870-1990; Sunnyside Bowling Club Records, 1973-1995; The Sunnyside Chronicle, 1887-1973; Newspaper Cuttings, c1858-1929; Publications, 1808-1988; Photographs, c1887-1990; Audio Cassettes, 1982; Plans, 1856-1950.

Accruals

Not expected

System of arrangement

Usually chronological within series.

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.

Conditions governing reproduction

Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

The bulk of the records are on paper. Also included are photographs, audio cassettes and plans.

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Previous

SR

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

THB 23

Rules and/or conventions used

Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997

Status

Catalogued

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Digital objects and photographs (Master) rights area

Digital objects and photographs (Reference) rights area

Digital objects and photographs (Thumbnail) rights area

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places