- 1893-1991 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
10 linear metres
Name of creator
Maryfield Hospital had its origins as the East Poorhouse Hospital, which was opened in 1893 by Dundee Parish Council for the treatment of the sick poor. The Hospital was built alongside the East Poorhouse, situated on five acres of land near Stobswell, on the west side of Mains Loan, south of Clepington Road, Dundee. The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1845 provided the framework upon which the welfare services could be built and the Parochial Board of Dundee adopted a resolution in 1852 to provide a Poorhouse for the Parish, which was to accommodate paupers, including the physically and mentally ill. It opened in 1856 and was renamed the East Poorhouse after the amalgamation of the Parochial Boards of Dundee and Liff and Benvie in 1879. The Liff and Benvie Parish Poorhouse, latterly known as the West Poorhouse, was erected on the north side of Blackness Road and opened in 1864. Following the abolition of the parish councils under the Local Government (Scotland) Act in 1929 its running was taken over by the town council. In the 1930s it began to concentrate its efforts in the field of maternity and childcare. In 1948 it became part of the new National Health Service. Maryfield Hospital expanded and eventually occupied all of the old poorhouse site, and was Dundee's second main hospital after the Royal Infirmary. Maryfield Hospital also had psychiatric wards, which were amalgamated in 1959 with the District Asylum (Westgreen) and the Royal Asylum (Gowrie House) to form the Dundee Royal Mental Hospital. Maryfield Hospital closed down to patients in stages between 1974 and 1976 and its services were taken over by the new Ninewells Hospital (opened in 1974). Some of the buildings were subsequently used by Tayside Health Board for administrative purposes.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Minutes 1948-1971; Staff Records 1893-1974; Patients' Records 1929-1974; Visitors Books 1948-1991; Administration Records 1964-1981; Financial Records 1964-1967; Legal Records 1963-1964; Newspaper Cuttings 1967; Microfilm Records 1935-1991; East Poor House Hospital Records 1903-1950; Photographs, 1953.
System of arrangement
Records are arranged chronologically within series.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The records are on paper and microfilm.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Dates of creation revision deletion