Dundee Royal Infirmary
- 1793-1998 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
c 22 linear metres
Name of creator
Dundee Royal Infirmary had its origins in the Voluntary Dispensary founded in the city by public subscription in 1782. This proved so beneficial to the community that in 1793 Dr. Small proposed that an Infirmary for indoor patients should be founded. His proposal was realised in 1798, when the first 56-bed Dundee Infirmary was erected at King Street. Only the central portion was built at the time, the wings being erected in 1825-27. The Infirmary was granted a Royal Charter by George III in 1819, establishing it into a Body Corporate and Politic, called the "Dundee Royal Infirmary and Asylum". In 1820 the Asylum was formally established as a separate entity in premises in Albert Street, Dundee. By the mid nineteenth century the King Street premises were no longer adequate and in 1852 building started on a new site in Barrack Road, near Dudhope Castle. Designed by Messrs. Coe & Godwin of London, it was completed and opened in February 1855, when patients were transferred from King Street. Originally constructed to accommodate 220 patients, later additions were made and the hospital began to diversify its services with new children's, ear and eye, ear nose and throat wards and an out patient clinic. The infirmary was granted further Royal Charters in 1877 and 1898 - the former on the occasion of the opening of a convalescent home at Barnhill and the latter providing for the addition of a maternity hospital. In July 1948 the running of the Infirmary was transferred to the National Health Service in accordance with the 1947 National Health Service (Scotland) Act. The hospital closed in 1998.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Charters, Bye-laws and Regulations 1878-1899, Reports 1826-1946, Minutes 1793- 1974, Financial Records 1894 -1975, Patients' Records 1842-1970, Staff Records 1865-1991, Dundee Convalescent Home 1872-1948, Legal Documents 1848-1969, Administration Records 1931-1991, Leisure and Recreation 1933-1963, Records of Other Hospitals (East Poor House Hospital) 1909-1946, Publications c 1946-1985, Microfilms and Microfiche c 1840-1999, Photographs c 1920-1923, Plans 1925-1949.
System of arrangement
Records are arranged chronologically within series. 14.5 linear metres have been catalogued and approximately 6-10 linear metres of material are awaiting arrangement.
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The records are on paper, microfilm and microfiche.
Descriptive list. Subject source lists and databases are also available. There are handlists for the uncatalogued material.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Gibson, Henry J C, Dundee Royal Infirmary 1798 to 1948 (1948);
THB 1; MS 1
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Dates of creation revision deletion