St Ternan's Episcopal Church, Muchalls

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St Ternan's Episcopal Church, Muchalls

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


The Episcopalians of Fetteresso parish were driven from the parish church in 1705 but established a meeting house at Muchalls Castle chapel a few years later. A second meeting house was established at Portlethen in 1738 but both were destroyed in 1746. The chapel was rebuilt above the castle in 1748, and again in 1770 and 1795. The present church was built in 1830 largely using funds collected by the local people, and dedicated to St Ternan in 1864. It is currently the northernmost church in the diocese.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places