St Salvador’s Church, Hilltown, Dundee

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

St Salvador’s Church, Hilltown, Dundee

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

St Salvador’s church was founded with a school in the Hilltown area of Dundee in 1856 by Bishop Alexander Penrose Forbes and the Reverend James Nicolson, later Dean of Brechin. Its mission was to the many mill workers who lived in the tenements in the area. G F Bodley was commissioned to design the halls and church, and worship started in the upper part of the building to the south designed as the school. The nave of the church followed in 1868 and the chancel in 1874. The whole building was consecrated on Holy Cross day in that year. The church continues the original ministry to the city’s poor, running one of the busiest food banks in the city after Mass on Sundays. (Source: http://s204617846.websitehome.co.uk/)

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places