Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The formation of a sanatorium for the free treatment of the effects of Tuberculosis was first proposed in 1899. The Earl of Airlie donated a site at Auchterhouse in the Sidlaw Hills outside Dundee. The Sanatorium was opened by his wife in September 1902, receiving its first patients in March of the following year. It operated as a charitable concern until 1910, when management of the Sanatorium was transferred to the Dundee Royal Infirmary. The Sanitorium was latterly used as a convalescent home and also catered for respite care patients. Sidlaw Hospital was closed from 4 November 1980 and its patients transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Dundee.