Shiell and Small

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Shiell and Small

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


John Shiell and David Small founded Shiell and Small solicitors in 1832. John Sheill (1806-1875) was from Smithfield, while David Small (d 1885) was the son of a Dundee Town Clerk. They began trading in New Inn Entry, and moved to 10 Reform Street in the early 1840's, and shortly afterwards moved to larger premises in Bank Street in the 1860s. John Shiell's son, James Guthrie Shiell (1874-1927) joined the firm in the early 1900s, and other partners included John Small, W.F. Small, and Herbert Kinnaird Ogilvy. In 1891 W. Thomson Currie, who had been admitted as a co-partner, assumed control and continued the practice under the same name. Shiell and Small acted as Treasurers to the University College Dundee and the Technical Institute, served as Clerks for the Baxter Park Trust and were factors for the Dalhousie, Rossie Priory and Baldovan estates. They were well known for representing both major businesses and landed families in the Dundee area. Shiell and Small ceased trading in 1990, when it was acquired by Miller Sneddon solicitors of Perth and Newburgh, which later merged with Hendry and Fenton solicitors of Dundee, to form Miller Hendry solicitors of Dundee, Perth and Newbrugh.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places