Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Maryfield Hospital had its origins as the East Poorhouse Hospital, which was opened in 1893 by Dundee Parish Council for the treatment of the sick poor. The Hospital was built alongside the East Poorhouse, situated on five acres of land near Stobswell, on the west side of Mains Loan, south of Clepington Road, Dundee. The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1845 provided the framework upon which the welfare services could be built and the Parochial Board of Dundee adopted a resolution in 1852 to provide a Poorhouse for the Parish, which was to accommodate paupers, including the physically and mentally ill. It opened in 1856 and was renamed the East Poorhouse after the amalgamation of the Parochial Boards of Dundee and Liff and Benvie in 1879. The Liff and Benvie Parish Poorhouse, latterly known as the West Poorhouse, was erected on the north side of Blackness Road and opened in 1864. Following the abolition of the parish councils under the Local Government (Scotland) Act in 1929 its running was taken over by the town council. In the 1930s it began to concentrate its efforts in the field of maternity and childcare. In 1948 it became part of the new National Health Service. Maryfield Hospital expanded and eventually occupied all of the old poorhouse site, and was Dundee's second main hospital after the Royal Infirmary. Maryfield Hospital also had psychiatric wards, which were amalgamated in 1959 with the District Asylum (Westgreen) and the Royal Asylum (Gowrie House) to form the Dundee Royal Mental Hospital. Maryfield Hospital closed down to patients in stages between 1974 and 1976 and its services were taken over by the new Ninewells Hospital (opened in 1974). Some of the buildings were subsequently used by Tayside Health Board for administrative purposes.