Low & Bonar Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Low & Bonar Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1903 John C. Low and George Bonar entered into a partnership agreement to carry on the business of merchanting jute goods in both home and foreign markets. In 1909, East Port Calender works, a cloth-finishing and bag sewing and printing establishment was acquired. In 1912 the original partnership became incorporated as a Private Limited Company, Low & Bonar Ltd and the share capital of William Fergusson & Sons Ltd was purchased to give the company an interest in jute weaving. In 1924 the company acquired control of Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd. The Eagle Jute Mills were built in 1930 on the site of the Dens Foundry and engineering works formerly operated by Baxter Brothers. In 1951 with the acquisition of a controlling interest in Bonar Long & Co Ltd, the company diversified into the field of electrical engineering and in 1953 the group's jute spinning activities were further expanded by the acquisition of Henry Boase & Co.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places