Lewis C Grant & Co Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Lewis C Grant & Co Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The origin of the firm can be traced to the Stratheden Foundry, Cupar, in which Robert Douglas bought shares in the early 1830s. By the 1850s some general foundry work was being carried out in Kirkcaldy and by the 1870s, the partnership of Douglas and (Lewis) Grant was specialising in the manufacture of steam engines. In the early twentieth century the firm diversified into the production of rice-milling machinery for export and in 1912 established branches in Rangoon, Saigon and Tanjore to develop this market. Douglas & Grant was incorporated as a limited company in the same year. In 1926 the original firm went into voluntary liquidation and was re-organised as Lewis C Grant. This company was incorporated in 1951.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places