Maps and plan, mainly of Dundee, Angus, Perthshire; subjects include property, railways, water supplies, harbours, River Tay, roads, estates, Ordnance Survey c.1771-1940. These plans were kept on behalf of their clients by Thomas Thornton, Son & Co in the course of their practice as solicitors.
Papers, correspondence and accounts relating to drainage of land on the Morphie estate 1854-1884, with states of rents payable by the tenants of Morphie and Stone of Morphie 1876-1883; reports and specifications, offers and other correspondence relating to construction of Morphie Hill Road,1873-1878; inventory of leases and policies of insurance belonging to Baron Grahame 1877; valuations and copies of surveyors' reports re. Morphie Dam Dyke, 1879-1881, and to buildings at Stone of Morphie and Mill of Morphie, 1882; statements of offers for lands and property, draft leases and other legal correspondence relating to Morphie estate 1880-1889; accounts of the trustees of Baron Grahame with Thomas Thornton Son & Co, Dundee 1881-1885; accounts and receipts of James Barclay Grahame as curator bonis to Baron Francis Barclay Grahame 1890-1891.
Inventories and valuations of furniture etc., in Thornton Castle, Laurencekirk belonging to Mrs Thornton and Miss Scott and 13 plans of buildings belonging to the Thornton Estate surveyed by Northern Assurance Co Ltd. Thornton Castle, near Laurencekirk in the parish of Marykirk, Kincardineshire is known to date back to at least 1531. It was an ancient seat of the Strachan family. The property was acquired by Alexander Crombie, an advocate and land agent, in 1804, was considerably refurbished in the following years, and was later owned by Sir Thomas Thornton.