Hannay biographica: correspondence, notes and miscellaneous papers relating to research work into diamonds and other minerals carried out by James Ballantyne Hannay, Sir Robert Robertson, KBE, FRS, and others; research into the life and work of James Ballantyne Hannay, mainly by Robert HS Robertson, Dr Einar P Flint and James Revie; publications of James Ballantyne Hannay; papers and correspondence relating to the Hannay divorce and to Mrs Caroline Johnston or Hannay's Trust; papers and correspondence relating to James Ballantyne Hannay's business and legal affairs; papers and correspondence relating to Alexander Hannay's Trust and to property owned by Alexander Hannay including the Prince of Wales Theatre rebuilt as the Grand Theatre Cowcaddens, Glasgow; miscellaneous papers and newspaper articles; photographs and plans 1663 and 1842-1987.
The records consist largely of domestic papers of two middle-class medical families from Dundee, the Kinnears and the Piries, who also had wide social, educational and other interests, covering the period 1885 to 1935: cashbooks 1890-1921; papers of John Kinnear 1955-1956; papers of Catherine Kinnear 1920s-1933; miscellaneous volumes, including YWCA minutes 1889-1920; David Robert Robertson Illustrations of Scottish Flora 1912-13; Mary Brooksbank Poems and Songs 1935-1955; Thomas Young Poems and Songs 1845. There are also some photographic slides.
Tacks, vouchers, marriage contracts and correspondence of the Browns of Nether Balloch Farm, Alyth 1761 1843; Nether Balloch Sawmill cash book 1846 1849; Memorandum on farming life in the Carse of Gowrie and Abernethy by Thomas Ross 1883; photographs c.1906; Ross family genealogy correspondence and notes 1888-1889.
Biographical works. c.1891;Miscellaneous notes and accounts. 1837-1990; Patents. 1846-1859; Cash books (James Carmichael). 1874-1924; Photographs. C 1830-1890;Correspondence from Alexander Monfries to Peter Carmichael. 1881-1890; Correspondence between D. Bruce Peebles, and Peter Carmichael 1882-1890; Correspondence from Thomas Marsden. 1845 - 1847; Correspondence addressed to Peter Carmichael and Baxter Brothers, Dundee. Letters are principally from James Carmichael, brother of Peter, writing from Ailly-sur-Somme, France, 1845-1847; Correspondence from Messrs Sheil and Small, solicitors. 1882 - 1883; Correspondence from William Japp. 1890; Miscellaneous correspondence, mainly to Peter Carmichael from family, friends, business associates and others. c 1844-1889; Correspondence relating to the Trust Disposition and Settlement by Sir David Baxter of Kilmaron, Bart. 1869-1879; Miscellaneous bundle, pertains to estate and family matters. 1870-1918; Correspondence relating to a trust fund settled on Captain Ludovic M. Carmichael. 1876-1877; Financial material relating to income received by Peter Carmichael from a variety of sources. 1879 - 1885; Miscellaneous items and correspondence dating mainly from the first half of the twentieth century. Relates to the origins, history and genealogy of the Carmichael family and to Arthurstone House. 1903 - 1960; Arthurstone, Loburn, New Zealand. 2019; Plans. 1837-1909
Recordings covering lives from the 1930's onwards, paperwork, biographies and some photographs of participants. Themes covered by the Project so far include the jute and textile industry (Dundee and India), the arts, academia, comics, journalism, publishing, disabilities, medicine, politics, armed services, retail, photography, sport and leisure, music and fashion. Themes also include childhood, family, education and work.
James Wilson (1756-1830) originally apprenticed to A. Murray, cooper of Beith, between 1771 and 1774 was a cooper in Pollokshaws and later (possibly) a farmer in Lochwinnoch, near Paisley. In 1782 he married Margaret Blackburn, daughter of John Blackburn and Margaret Clark. They had ten children, the sixth of whom, James Wilson (1794-1863), carried on the trade of cooper and in 1816 also entered into partnership with his elder brother John (1783-1834) as a soap and candlemaker, continuing to pursue both trades in Pollokshaws. In 1825 he married Helen Primrose, the eldest of sixteen children of William Primrose and Christian Brown. James and Helen Wilson had ten children, two of whom - William Primrose Wilson (1836-1926) and James Wilson (1848-1919) - formed the company of Wilson Brothers to manufacture wool in Alva, Clackmannanshire. Both William and James Wilson became members of the Bakers' Incorporation of Glasgow in 1893 and Burgesses of the City of Glasgow in the same year. In 1878 James married Margaret Steven, the second of seven children of Alexander Steven and Agnes Ann McNeil. They moved down to London in 1893 where James Wilson looked after the London end of the business and built it into a more successful concern. His older brother was responsible for the company's affairs in Alva. The family moved back to Alva in 1908. James and Margaret Wilson had four children: Alexander Steven Wilson (1882-1976), Helen Primrose Wilson (1885-1958), James Blackburn Wilson (1888-1961) and Agnes Ann McNeil [Nancy] (1894-1944). Alexander Steven trained as an electrical engineer at Finsbury Technical College and then worked with the German firm of Siemens Schukert Werke in Nürnberg and with Siemens Brothers and Co Dynamo Works in London. The letters he received from his family during this period give a fascinating glimpse of life in early Edwardian London. In 1907 he was asked to help his father with the family's woollen manufacturing business in Alva, and he became a partner in 1908. James Blackburn became a partner in 1922, along with their cousin A H W Forrest. The family connection with Wilson Brothers was continued through Alexander Steven's son Peter Sidney Steven Wilson (1925-1992). Helen Primrose was a nurse during the Great War of 1914-1918, while James Blackburn Wilson served with the French Red Cross, in the Verdun Sector, between February 1916 and April 1917, and later the British Army, between May 1917 and February 1919, serving in both Britain and France. In 1922 he married Mary Taylor Watt, the youngest of seven children of John Watt and Agnes Taylor Dickie, and a sister of Professor Hugh Watt, sometime Moderator of the Church of Scotland. James Watt Wilson, who gave the collection to the University, is the youngest of three children of James Blackburn and Margaret Wilson, and was born in 1930.