George Frederick Boyle, (1825-1890), was a life long associate and supporter of Alexander Penrose Forbes. He succeeded his half brother as 6th Earl of Glasgow in 1869. He founded and endowed the College and Collegiate Church of the Holy Spirit on the island of Cumbrae in 1849. [See also MS 54 in the University Library's main manuscript collection].
He writes quoting antiquarian friend on sculpture stone in Rossie churchyard, who advocates boiled linseed oil (and paint) to preserve (?) it. He laments the lack of documentary evidence on the history of Rossie.