The papers consist mainly of agendas and minutes of meetings of the Board of Studies in Education throughout the period and deal with matters such as the Robbins Report, changes to the structure of the Diploma in Education and the Degree in Education, and proposals for and the final implementation of a new Ordinance on the Dip.Ed. and the M.Ed. Many of the papers feature correspondence between the Department of Education with the Department of Psychology, as well as between the Education Department in Queen's College, Dundee and other Scottish universities and colleges.
Letter, 22 September 1966 from A.N. Mitchell, Secretary and Registrar of St. Andrews to Professor Adams regarding foreseen difficulties of the new Ordinance for the B.Ed. when Queen's College, Dundee changes status to University of Dundee in 1967. Reports of several of the joint meetings between University College, Dundee and the College of Education, Dundee. Correspondence from the Institute of Choreology enclosing documents on the work of the Institute, January 1966. Includes an excerpt from the Times Educational Supplement, August 1965, 'On with the Dance' written by R. Benesh, Director of the Institute of Choreology; a cutting from New Scientist, October 1965, 'An Alphabet of Movement'; Progress Report from the Institute of Choreology, November 1965. Details of a Conference of Education held at the Burn, Edzell, involving Departments from St. Andrews, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen Universities, January 1966. With Appendix 'The Study of Education at the University of Stirling' attached.
Includes a copy of the Deed of Trust by Sir John Leng, 1901, detailing the financial structure of the Trust and establishing the criteria for winners of the Gold medal [for an essay] and the Silver Medal [for solo singers of Scottish melodies] and a printed booklet Sir John Leng Trust Scheme 1967 under the Education (Scotland) Act 1962.
Documents include: Letter, 28 May 1968, from Principal Stimpson of Dundee College of Education to J.W.L. Adams regarding the establishment of the E.P.A. with attached list of Steering Committee members. Notices for and reports of the Steering Committee's meetings, 1968-1971. Copies of the E.P.A. Newsletter, 1969-1970. Details of the E.P.A.'s financial position, c.1971, and a financial estimate for the end of the project, March 1971.
A collection of hand-written sermons written singly or in groups of up to seven in one volume. Dates, locations and sometimes the religious occasions on which the sermons were delivered are usually noted on the front page. However, It has not been possible toiestablish the authorship of all the sermons in this collection; the names of Bishop Alexander, Bishop Petrie, Bishop Gerhard and John Leith of Huntly appear on some of the sermons. On others there is the occasional reference to authors from whose work part or whole sermons have been borrowed or abridged; these original authors include Joseph Mede, [George] Stanhope, [Daniel] Waterland, [Rodger] Altham and others. From what appear to be references to dates and places where the sermons were delivered it is possible to assume that a large number of the sermons were written or used by Alexander Jamieson at Luthermuir and Glasgow 1770-1823 and William Murray at Muchalls, Kearn and Duffus 1810-1830. It is also possible that some of the sermons, apparently preached at Teggerton, Balzordie and Brechin, are the work of James Sommerville (or Sommervail).
Sermons of Thomas Holland. The sermons were apparently written into the notebooks 1933-1941 while Holland was at Laurencekirk and most appear to be transcripts or altered versions of sermons delivered at Grangemouth, Falkirk and Dundee, 1913-1920. Others were delivered in 1943 and some have additional notes dated 1940. The number of hymns used in the service are also occasionally given.
Corporate records 1831-; Legal records 1842-1861; Internal administration 1840-1885; Accounting and financial records 1835-1874; Operational records 1824-1885; Marketing / PR records 1833-1936; Staff and employment records c 1870-1872; Ephemera c 1890-1910.
Minutes 1893-1932; letter books 1869-1923; ledgers 1841-2002; cash books and journals 1872-1921; wages records 1860-1921; order and sales book 1861-1914; stock books 1906-1921; shareholding records 1892-1933; miscellaneous volumes 1841-1918; miscellaneous papers 1832-c 1962; balance sheets 1841-1932; photographs c 1791-1989; maps and plans 1865-1913.
Cox Brothers Ltd, Jute Spinners and Manufactures, Dundee
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway (Dundee Station) Act 1851, despatch book 1891-1893 and Inventory of 1903; draft precognitions and other legal papers relating to the Kirkcaldy and District Railways Bill 1891.
Dundee and Arbroath Railway; Kirkcaldy District Railways
Papers, correspondence and accounts relating to drainage of land on the Morphie estate 1854-1884, with states of rents payable by the tenants of Morphie and Stone of Morphie 1876-1883; reports and specifications, offers and other correspondence relating to construction of Morphie Hill Road,1873-1878; inventory of leases and policies of insurance belonging to Baron Grahame 1877; valuations and copies of surveyors' reports re. Morphie Dam Dyke, 1879-1881, and to buildings at Stone of Morphie and Mill of Morphie, 1882; statements of offers for lands and property, draft leases and other legal correspondence relating to Morphie estate 1880-1889; accounts of the trustees of Baron Grahame with Thomas Thornton Son & Co, Dundee 1881-1885; accounts and receipts of James Barclay Grahame as curator bonis to Baron Francis Barclay Grahame 1890-1891.
Inventories and valuations of furniture etc., in Thornton Castle, Laurencekirk belonging to Mrs Thornton and Miss Scott and 13 plans of buildings belonging to the Thornton Estate surveyed by Northern Assurance Co Ltd. Thornton Castle, near Laurencekirk in the parish of Marykirk, Kincardineshire is known to date back to at least 1531. It was an ancient seat of the Strachan family. The property was acquired by Alexander Crombie, an advocate and land agent, in 1804, was considerably refurbished in the following years, and was later owned by Sir Thomas Thornton.
Title deeds of Feddinch and Cairnsbank in the regality and barony of St. Andrews, Cairns and other lands in the barony of Strathmiglo, Fife and lands in Dundee 1518-1784; chartularies of Ferryden, in the parish of Craig, [Angus] 1795-1837; legal papers relating to various properties in Dundee 1874-1877. These papers were kept on behalf of their clients by Thomas Thornton, Son & Co in the course of their practice as solicitors.