Hardie and Smith Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Hardie and Smith Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The original firm of Hardie and Smith was founded between 1870 and 1874 by John Mills Hardie and James Ross Smith at Baltic Linen Works (previously owned by Mitchell & Graham), between Hawkhill and Annfield Road, Dundee. In 1917 the firm became a subsidiary of A & S Henry & Co Ltd, and was incorporated as Hardie and Smith Ltd. Major reconstruction of Baltic Works took place in 1933 and 1955-1956. In 1972 Hardie and Smith Ltd, was acquired by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd, just before A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was acquired by the same company. Hardie and Smith Ltd ceased trading in 1983 when A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd and its subsidiaries went into receivership. Work carried out by the company included the spinning of hessian and sacking yarns, carpet yarns, weaving and finishing of hessian, sacking, tarpaulin and bagging fabrics and eventually the weaving of polypropylene cloth.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places