G. L. Wilson Department Store

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

G. L. Wilson Department Store

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Gavin Laurie Wilson was born in Strathaven, South Lanarkshire, in 1852. He had a 'popular warehouse' in Cupar, Fife before opening what became G.L. Wilson's Department Store in 1894. The store, originally principally a drapery, was located on the corner of Murraygate and Commercial Street, Dundee, and was popularly known as 'The Corner'. Wilson died in 1932 but his son John continued to run the business until his death in 1962. Another son, involved to an extent in the store, was Sir Garnet Wilson (1885-1973) a local Liberal politician who was Lord Provost of Dundee from 1940 to 1946 and who was knighted for his services to the city. A third son, Gavin, died in action as a result of wounds sustained during the First World War. The store closed c 1972 but the building still stands.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places