Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home developed from a dispensary for women and children set up in the 1890s for the treatment of women by female doctors. In May 1897 a small hospital, the Dundee Hospital for Women, was set up in Seafield Road to provide surgical care at a low cost. It later moved to Elliott Road. When the National Health Service Act came into effect in 1948 the Women's Hospital and Nursing Home unsuccessfully petitioned the Secretary of State for permission to keep operating the hospital as a private charitable concern and not as part of the National Health Service. The hospital closed circa 1975.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places