Dundee Eye Institution

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Dundee Eye Institution

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Dundee Eye Institution was established in 1836 by Dr Cocks, a practitioner in the city, to provide a free service to those who could not afford ophthalmic treatment. It operated in premises at 84 Murraygate from 1844 to 1892, when it moved to a larger building at 86 Nethergate so that the Institution could expand its work. At first hospital operations were carried out at the Royal Infirmaries in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but in 1892 the Dundee Royal Infirmary established an ophthalmic department which included two four bed wards for Eye Institution patients. After this the Eye Institution confined itself to out-patient work, though it continued to develop links with the Medical School of St Andrews University, which was then situated in Dundee. The Institution closed circa 1975.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places