College and Collegiate Church of The Holy Spirit

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

College and Collegiate Church of The Holy Spirit

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1848 the Honourable George Frederick Boyle (later 6th Earl of Glasgow) set up a choir school attached to the Church of St. Andrews, Millport. In 1849 Boyle founded and endowed the Episcopal College and Collegiate Church of the Holy Spirit, Cumbrae which was completed in 1851 to plans by William Butterfield. The College was consolidated in the 1860s and affiliated to the University of Durham as Cumbrae Theological College. In 1879 the Collegiate Church was elevated to the status of Cathedral of Argyll and the Isles. It closed in 1888, and between 1919 and 1927 the buildings housed the Community of St Andrew of Scotland.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places