Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The estate of Cardean was formerly called Cardean and Baikie. In 1785 Cardean, which was in the possession of the Earl of Strathmore, was purchased by Patrick Murray, from Berwickshire. Patrick Murray died in 1842 and his daughters succeeded to the estate. In 1878 Cardean was sold to James Cox, jute manufacturer, Dundee and 20 years later the family purchased the estate of Drumkilbo form Lord Wharncliffe In 1882 the family removed to Lochee to Lyndhurst, which Edward Cox had built alongside Clement Park, the home of his parents. They continued to live there until 1890, when they made their home at Cardean. Following the death of Edward Cox, both estates passed to his trustees. On the death of his widow, Cardean Estate fell to Dr J Ernest Cox, of Methven Castle, and subsequently to his trustees; while Drumkilbo Estate, on the death of Mrs Edward Cox, became the property of Mr John EC Cox. In 1951 the adjoining estates of Cardean and Drumkilbo, near Meigle, were sold. Lord Elphinstone, brother-in-law of the Queen, purchased the mansion-houses of Cardean and Drumkilbo, the policies, three farms on Cardean and two on Drumkilbo on behalf of himself and his son, the Master of Elphinstone. The area of Cardean Estate covered approximately 1179 acres and included Braidestone Mill, Blackhill and Baitland. Drumkilbo included the farms of Arnbog and Langlogie.