Caledonian Railway

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Caledonian Railway

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

The Caledonian Railway was incorporated in 1845 and construction quickly began on a network to link Carlisle, Glasgow, and Edinburgh. This extensive line was opened in sections during the years 1847-1850 and it was the first to provide a service from London to Scotland without the need to change trains, reducing the journey time to 12 and a half hours. Its operations were also linked with the North British Railway north of the Tay with a line through Fife and a rail ferry running from Tayport to Dundee. After acquiring the Dundee and Newtyle Railway in 1865, the Scottish Central Railway in 1865, and the Dundee, Perth and Aberdeen Railway Junction Company in 1881, the company itself joined the London, Midland and Scottish Railway in 1923.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places