Records of the Diocese of Brechin
- 1426-2017 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
2 linear metres
Name of creator
The Diocese of Brechin largely covers the counties of Kincardine, Angus and Perth. It was formed in the 1680s, the first bishop being James Drummond between 1684 and 1695. Nearly all small towns within the diocese had an Episcopal congregation, but after the 1745 Rising many rural congregations disappeared. By the time of the repeal of the Penal Laws in 1792 there were nine congregations remaining and over the nineteenth century the diocese began to expand, establishing new congregations in the Carse of Gowrie, Angus coastal burghs, and particularly in and around Dundee. The Diocese is headed by the Bishop of Brechin. Until 1982 the Diocesan Synod was the Bishop's consulting body, and the Diocesan Council was the agent within the Diocese of the Representative Church Council, which had responsibility for the finances of the Episcopal Church of Scotland. The Council consisted of the Bishops, licensed clergy, retired clergy and one lay representative from each congregation in each diocese, plus diocesan officials. It had its own Executive Committee which acted for the Council when it was not in session. The Executive Committee also appointed its own Business Committee. Since 1982 these bodies have been merged into one Diocesan Synod formed by the Bishop, clergy and all lay representatives of congregations.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Diocesan Synod minutes 1770-1981; synod papers 1876-1981; papers relating to the Provincial Synod 1913-1978; diocesan council minutes and committee minutes 1913-1981; council correspondence, papers and reports 1913-1978; council accounts 1894-1949; papers relating to the Representative Church Council 1960-1979; Scottish Churches Committees minutes and papers 1952-1995; statistical returns 1873-1877; diocesan correspondence 1968-1986; diocesan library report 1890; library accession registers 1856-1888; library borrowing registers 1821-1929; library book lists 1828-1937; library correspondence and financial records 1896-1917; photographs c1865-c1903; Episcopal Church in Scotland yearbooks 1973-1978; Education records 1909-1974; Grapevine: The Magazine of the Diocese of Brechin 2007-2015; Register of conformations 1837-1938; Miscellaneous documents 1426-1941.
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Open for consultation subject to preservation requirements. Access must also conform to the restrictions of the Data Protection Act (2018), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR, 2018) and any other relevant legislation or restrictions. Clinical information is closed for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction
Reproduction is available subject to preservation requirements. Charges may be made for this service, and copyright and other restrictions may apply; please check with the Duty Archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
The records are on paper and include photographs.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
This collection has been re-catalogued. The photographs were previously catalogued as Br MS 5. Records relating to churches have been separated into separate fonds.
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Description compiled in line with the following standards: International Council on Archives, ISAD(G) General International Standard Archival Description; International Council on Archives, ISAAR(CPF): International Standard Archival Authority Record for Corporate Bodies, Persons, and Families; National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997
Dates of creation revision deletion