Baxter Park Trustees

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Baxter Park Trustees

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

Baxter Park was donated to the community by Sir David Baxter of Kilmaron (1793-1872) and his sisters Eleanor and Mary Anne (1800-1884). The layout of the park's 37 acres was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and included grassy areas, terraced walks and shrubberies which offered 'a most agreeable summer promenade affording beautiful recreation and pure air to all classes.' In the pavilion at the centre of the park, a marble statue of Sir David was erected, paid for by public subscription. On 9 September 1863 Baxter Park was opened by John Russsell, 1st Earl Russell (a former and future Prime Minister) in front of a crowd of over 70,000 people. Originally estimated to have cost £50,000, Baxter Park was placed under the charge of Trustees. In 1908, because the Trust Investments were no longer enough to maintain the park, the Trustees handed over responsibility to the Town Council.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places