Baxter Brothers & Co Ltd

Identity area

Type of entity

Authorized form of name

Baxter Brothers & Co Ltd

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

History

In 1818 William Baxter leased a flax spinning mill at Glamis and in 1822, in partnership with his eldest son Edward, built his first mill on the Dens Burn in Dundee. In 1825, when Edward left the company, two younger sons were assumed as partners and the firm's name was changed from William Baxter and Son to Baxter Brothers and Co. In 1853, a new partnership agreement was drawn up which included Peter Carmichael, an engineer and manager of Upper Dens Mill. In 1856 William Ogilvie Dalgleish, who married a granddaughter of William Baxter, was admitted as a partner and new partnership agreements were also drawn up in 1873 and in 1879. The firm was incorporated as a private limited company in 1892 when a majority holding was acquired in Boase and Co Ltd, bleachers Claverhouse. In 1921 Boase and Co. Ltd, became a wholly owned subsidiary and in 1929 Baxter's acquired Richard Hayward & Sons (1929) Ltd. In the meantime Baxter Brothers and Co Ltd, had become part of the Low & Bonar group established in 1924. The firm continued to trade as a manufacturing unit within the Low and Bonar group until 1978.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places