Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1836 the need for medical provision "for the relief of the poor" in Arbroath was so great that a dispensary was set up by public subscription and run by the local medical practitioners. A typhus epidemic in 1842 resulted in the first in-patient service, a small fever ward for the isolation of typhus sufferers, and from 1843 subscriptions were being raised to develop this into an infirmary. With the aid of donations from subscribers and from Lord Panmure the new Infirmary opened in 1845 to provide both out-patient and in-patient care. By 1913 this building was becoming overcrowded and in 1916 the Infirmary moved to a new building on Rosemount Road. This was extended further in 1961 with the addition of the Queen Mother maternity wing. In 1948 the hospital was absorbed into the Eastern Region Hospital Board under the terms of the National Health (Scotland) Act of 1947. In 2020 it is managed by NHS Tayside.