Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Alexander Hannay, portioner, had property in Helensburgh and owned the Prince of Wales Theatre, later known as the Grand Theatre in Cowcaddens, Glasgow. He was father to James Ballantyne Hannay, chemist and innovator. The Prince of Wales Music Hall opened in 1867 and was one of Glasgow's oldest music halls. Following a fire in 1869, a new theatre was built on the site and in 1881 it was refurbished and called the Grand Theatre. It had a capacity of 2,030 and film shows began regularly from 1915. The Grand was taken over in 1909 by Moss Empires Ltd, but was again destroyed by fire in 1989. The New Grand Picture House was then built in its place.