Showing 2 results

Names
Medicine

Ninewells Hospital and Medical School

  • Corporate body
  • 1973-
The foundation stone for Ninewells was laid by Lord Hughes of Hawkhill on 9th September 1965. The hospital was officially opened by the Queen Mother on 23rd October 1974. The buildings at Ninewells, from the Dundee College of Nursing to the Maternity Department stand on a sloping parkland site with views across the River Tay. Ward units were planned on the 'race-track' principle, each unit having 48 beds in two wards of 24 beds. Ninewells was built to accommodate 800 beds and a staff of around 4,000.
The medical school was ranked 1st in the UK in 2009. The hospital has nursing and research links with the University of Dundee and is managed by NHS Tayside. The associated Medical School is a centre for research and the combined complex is the largest in the U.K.

John Robinson Imrie

  • Person
  • 1914-2000
John Robinson Imrie was born in Wormit on Tay , attending secondary school at Harris Academy. He resided at Hawkhill Place while he studied medicine at University College Dundee, which his brother had also attended and qualified from.
Graduating in 1937, he worked as a Senior House Officer at Harrogate Hospital, moving on to work as a ships surgeon. Returning from this post, he worked at Torbay Hospital before joining the Royal Army Medial Corps. In this post he served in India and the Middle East, reaching the rank of Major.
After the war, Imrie joined with Dr. Venn-Dunn in General Practice in Torquay, now the medical centre at St. Marys. He was also clinical assistant in the Geriatric department at Paignton Hospital, and Newton Abbot Hospital. He was involved in founding Lily Derry Day Hospital at Torbay, and was medical officer to both the Post Office and the Territorial Army.