Showing 2403 resultsNames
Professor Christopher A. Whatley, Bonar Professor of History (1997-2004), Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2002-2006) and Vice Principal of the University of Dundee (2006-2014), is a leading expert on the Act of Union of 1707. To mark the 300th anniversary of the Act he produced a new volume on the subject 'The Scots and the Union ' (Edinburgh University Press 2006). Dr Derek Patrick was Professor Whatley's research assistant and contributed to the writing of the volume.
Annie Chalmers Walden, nee Nicoll, was born 12 August 1915 at 3 Balfour Street, Dundee. The youngest of four daughters, their parents ran a working men's cafe in Hunter Street. Annie attended Harris Academy, 1926-1932, then began her studies at Dundee University College. By 1935 Annie had gained a first class degree in Science, and a year later with honours in Zoology. She was also captain of the College's athletics team. Annie had studied under Professor Peacock, and continued working with him as researcher and tutor until 1937. Annie then worked as an assistant guide lecturer at the Perth Museum for two years, then at Leicester Museums as an education assistant There, she met Trevor Walden, (who would become the director of the Burrell collection in Glasgow) and they married in 1941. During WW2, Annie was posted the the British Library, while her husband served in the Navy. Her research involved investigating beaches for the D day landings. In 1945 Annie left London and took the post of Director of Halifax Museum. After the war and the births of her children, Annie worked as a demonstrator in the Zoolology Dept of Leicester University and also taught in local schools and colleges as well as working for Leicester University Press. In 1973, she trained as a teacher at Jordanhill College, Glasgow, after which she taught science in a number of schools, her final post being at Clydebank High School. Annie had two sons, Ian and Neil; Ian graduated from Dundee in 1966 having studied Engineering, and her niece, Sheila, lectured at Dundee in Chemistry. Annie has lived in Bowling, West Dunbartonshire since 1973 and was, for 26 years, the Chair of the Bowling and Milton Community Council.
Victor Skretkowicz was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the 26th August 1942. He graduated with a BA from McMaster University, Canada in 1964, an MA from University of New Brunswick, Canada in 1967, and a PhD from University of Southampton in 1974. In 1978 he joined the University of Dundee as Lecturer in English and in 1993 became Senior Lecturer. In 1989 Victor Skretkowicz become Dundee University's representative on the Joint Council for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, and in 1992 was elected convenor directing the Edinburgh-based research team creating volumes 9-12 of A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001- 2002). The Joint Council consisted of representatives from Scotland's oldest universities and was responsible for the financial and intellectual management of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. In 2001, a project began to create an electronic version of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. The Dictionary of Scots Language was to comprise electronic editions of the two historical dictionaries of the Scots Language: the twelve volumes of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, containing information on Scots words from the twelfth century to the end of the seventeenth century (older Scots), and the ten volume Scottish National Dictionary, containing Scots words from 1700 -1970s (modern Scots). The project was based at the University of Dundee and was directed by Dr Victor Skretkowicz. The project was completed in 2004. The Scottish National Dictionary was produced by the Scottish National Dictionary Association (SNDA), now the Scottish Language Dictionaries Limited. The SNDA received an award from the Heritage Lottery Fund to update the dictionary with a new supplement which was made available as part of the Scots Language Dictionary in 2005. The Scots Language Dictionaries Limited is Scotland's lexicographical body for the Scots language. The organisation was formed in 2002 and is responsible for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish tongue, the Scottish National Dictionary and the Dictionary of Scots Language. From 2001-2002 Victor Skretkowicz was member of the Standing Committee leading a proposal for the establishment of an Institute for the Languages of Scotland, overseeing the Feasibility Study, for which a grant was awarded by the Carnegie Trust. The proposed Institute for the Languages of Scotland would serve the Scottish Universities and the nation by co-ordinating and disseminating information on research into all languages of Scotland, past and present. Dr Victor Skretkowicz retired from the English Department in October 2007. He died on July 22, 2009.
John Berridge was born in Stevenage in July 1927. He was a lecturer, later senior lecturer, in the Politics Department (later the Department of Political Science and Social Politics), University of Dundee from 1964 until his retirement in 1995. He served on the University Court for a number of years He was also active in the AUT, being President of the Dundee Branch, and the Conservative Party. He served as an adviser to Edward Heath on the subject of devolution. He also served as a Justice of the Peace and was president of the Dundee Art Society. He died in June 2010.
Dr Ian Kenneth Francis BA PhD MA was educated at the Universities of Keele and Exeter. He joined the staff of the University of Dundee in 1980 as Faculty Secretary of the Faculty of Arts and Social Science. By the late 1980s his remit had been extended to include the Faculty of Environmental Studies. In 1990 he became Academic Secretary of the University in succession to William A. S. Lennox, a post he held until his own retirement at the end of 2011.
John Samuel Greene Blair OBE, TD, D. Litt, ChM, FRCS, FRCP was born in 1928, and was one of three children of George Blair (1886-1961). He was educated at Dundee High School, and was the Dux of the School in 1946. After leaving school he studied medicine at the University of St Andrews, and was later awarded a BA by the University London. During National Service, Dr Blair served in the Royal Army Medical Corps from 1952 until 1955. He subsequently had extensive service in the Territorial Army, and was appointed Honorary Colonel of 225 (Highland) Field Ambulance RAMC in 1982. He later served as Chairman of the British Medical Association's Armed Forces Committee. Dr Blair was Consultant Surgeon at Perth Royal Infirmary from 1965 until 1990, also serving as Honorary Senior Lecturer in Surgery at the University of Dundee. In 2004, he was appointed as an Honorary Senior Clinical Teacher, Division of Medicine & Therapeutics at the University of Dundee. He had previously been appointed as an Honorary Senior Lecture, and later Honorary Reader, in the School of Biological and Medical Sciences at the University of St. Andrews. He has served as Captain of the Royal Perth Golfing Society & County and City Club. He is also Vice-President Emeritus of the International Society for the History of Medicine and a member of the University of Dundee Medical History Museum committee. He is an expert on the history of medicine and has been chairman of both the British Society for the History of Medicine and the Scottish Society for the History of Medicine. He is the author of several books and articles on medical history. He has also served as President of the Perth branch of the Franco-Scottish Society of Scotland. Dr Blair married Ailsa Jean Bowes MBE in 1953 and the couple had two sons, and one daughter.
John Carvell was a medical student at the School of Medicine (Queen's College, Dundee, part of the University of St Andrews, latterly the University of Dundee) from 1964 to 1970. He was runner up in Young Scot '65, which a series of programmes broadcast live by Scottish Television and one of his interviewers was the renowned British comedienne Joyce Grenfell. He was the first president of the University of Dundee Sports Union and was also Captain of the University of Dundee Hares and Hounds (cross-country team) in 1968 and the Athletics Team in 1969. In 1968 he was part of the University's expedition to Scoresby Land in East Greenland, serving as the medical officer; he also sent back a number of reports that were published by the Courier and Advertiser. After graduation he was appointed as a demonstrator in the Department of Anatomy. He was Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon at Salisbury District Hospital from 1983 to 2001, thereafter being appointed Consultant Emeritus. He was awarded the Fellowship of the British Medical Association in 2009 in recognition of his services to medicine and to the Salisbury Division of the BMA. He is Chairman of the National Spinal Taskforce for England at the Department of Health, Chairman of The Salisbury Independent Hospitals Trust and Public Governor of Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust. In 2012 he endowed the The John Carvell Prizes in Musculoskeletal / Orthopaedic Studies at The University of Dundee School of Medicine.
Born in Cumbria, and with a background in sheep farming, Mary was a mature student at Dundee University, graduating in English and History. Her doctoral thesis 'Rural Society in Scotland from the Restoration to the Union' was completed in 2004. She led an oral history project at Abernyte which examined social change in the 20th century and where she was an active member of the community. Her publications were wide and varied, including 'Scottish crop yields in the second half of the seventeenth century: evidence from the Mains of Castle Lyon in the Carse of Gowrie' in Agricultural History Review (2007) and co-author of ' Battered but Unbowed: Dundee c1603-1727' in the publication 'Dundee 1600-1800'. Mary also worked as part of the University Archive's teaching team, specialising in 17th century Scots palaeography and where she was also responsible for cataloguing the Glamis Castle muniments on behalf of the Earl of Strathmore. She also taught the interdisciplinary M.Litt course, Women, Culture and Society. Through her background in early modern social and economic history she also contributed to the Maritime Environment module of the MRes in Environmental History run in conjunction with the University of Stirling.
A former member of staff at the University of Dundee.
The Philip Whitaker collection relates largely to his work in central Africa in the 1950s and early 1960s. Whitaker was born in Poole, Dorset in 1927, to a Lancashire family. His father was an industrial chemist and moved the family to Newport, Gwent during the Second World War. Whitaker went to Trinity College, Dublin, initially to read Physics, but graduated with a degree in history. Following this, he went on to study for a PhD at Manchester University, writing his thesis on the 'Manchester Liberals'. In the 1950s and into the 1960s, Whitaker spent time studying and lecturing at Makerere University, Uganda's largest university. His research largely concerned Nigerian elections but also examined (and in many cases visiting), the Congo, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanganyika (Tanzania) and other parts of sub-Saharan Africa. Whitaker's time in Uganda coincided with great political change as a result of growing nationalism and Britain's moves towards decolonisation. Nigeria became the autonomous Federation of Nigeria in 1954 and in October 1958, Britain agreed Nigeria would become an independent state on 1st October 1960. Tanganyika became independent in December 1961 and Uganda held its first elections in 1961, becoming independent in October 1962. In Uganda and Nigeria, early elections and politics were played out along tribal and ethnic lines leading to tension and unrest between the various peoples. It is in this context that Whitaker's work must be viewed. Whitaker left Uganda in 1962, and went with his family to Chicago on a six month lecture tour, also encompassing Minnesota and Canada. Following this, he spent time travelling between Africa and Britain, first returning to Uganda, followed by some time in Manchester then another stay in Uganda. Some time in Zanzibar followed, leaving just before the 1964 uprising in which African revolutionaries overthrew the Arab-minority led government, murdering up to 20,000 Asian civilians. He took up a post as a lecturer in Political Science at the University of Dundee in 1964, living in Letham, where he later becoming a local councillor. In the late 1970s and 1980s, he would spend winter lecturing in the USA and Canada, and also travelled to Thailand. He moved to Devon upon his partial retirement, before fully retiring in 1983. Whitaker died in 1988.
Stanley Jones spent his formative years studying geography and anthropology at University College of Wales, Aberystwyth, under Fleure, and then at University of California, Berkeley, under Sauer. He came to the then University College, Dundee, from the University of Bristol in 1946, and was effectively the founder of the Geography Department in Queen's College, Dundee. In 1968 he was appointed to the founding Chair of Geography at the University of Dundee, and during the early 1970s he became the first Dean of the Faculty of Environmental Studies. He retained his interest in cultural geography throughout his career, and, following his retirement in 1975, continued his research into the Dundee and Newtyle Railway.
Graham Lowe was born in Dundee in 1952. Both his parents were doctors; his father was a consultant physician at Dundee Royal Infirmary and his mother worked in the chest unit based in Constitution Road. Dr Lowe began studying medicine in 1970 at the University of Dundee and after graduating he worked in various branches of medicine including orthopaedics and pathology. In 1990 Dr Lowe became a consultant in dermatology at Ninewells Hospital where he worked until his retirement in 2010. In 2005 Dr Lowe was invited to assume the role of Honorary Curator of Tayside Medical History Museum. Dr Lowe has encouraged and received donations from staff working throughout Tayside and has organised many exhibitions.
John William Kimber (1875-1918) was born on the 21st of December 1875, in Portsmouth. Little information is known about his early life, apart from that one of his siblings was called Robert Percy Kimber, and their parents were from the London area. John W. Kimber served in the Royal Navy from 24th July 1891 to 31st December 1905. He began as a volunteer and left the Navy with the rank of Petty Officer of the 1st class. Kimber married Ada Jane McKone in Islington around 1903 and they moved to 5 Panmure Place in Broughty Ferry around 1906. The couple had three daughters - one of whom was called Edith - and one son named John (known as Jack) Kimber. Kimber had trained as an Instructor in Physical Training in Portsmouth in 1904, and achieved his Educational Institute of Scotland certificate in November 1906. He came to work at the University College Dundee for five years as Superintendent of the Fleming Gymnasium. He also worked for the Dundee School Board and the Voluntary Schools of the City. Kimber enlisted in the army for the First World War. He became a Lieutenant in the 4th/1st Battalion of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). In his training for the war he attended the Grenadier School of Instruction at Scone Camp, and also attended the Northern Command School of Instruction. John William Kimber died at Givenchy, on the 11th of May 1918, aged 42. He is buried in Etaples Military Cemetery in Pas-de-Calais, France.
Carol Pope was born on 9th April 1952. A former journalist, she was the University of Dundee's Press Officer, before moving to work in the Principal's Office as Director of Communications. She also served as the publishing manager of Dundee University Press. During her time at the University she was instrumental in founding what became the Dundee International Book Prize. While undergoing chemotherapy treatment as a cancer patient in 2015 she wrote a series of poems published as 'The Pile Light. Poems by Carol Pope', which were praised by Dame Hilary Mantel. Carol Pope died on 1st December 2015.
David Middleton was a senior lecturer of the Department of Mechanical Engineering. He worked in the department from 1968 until he retired in 2004, and was part of notable engineering projects such as the NCR development of the ATM Cash Machines during the 1990s, carried out in collaboration with the University of Dundee.
Alwyn Scarth was born 4 September 1936 at Morley Hall, Leeds, and was one of five children. He was educated at Battley Grammar School from 1947-55 and matriculated at St Catherine's College, Cambridge in 1955, where he read Geography. He specialised in Geomorphology, graduating BA in 1958 and MSc in 1962 . While there, he also won a scholarship to study in France at the University of Clermont-Ferrand between 1958-9, 1960-61. This began his lifelong love of the country. After graduating PhD in 1963, Scarth took up a post of Lecturer in Geography at Queen's College, Dundee, specialising in Geomorphology, the geography of France and Amercian Studies. He was the Director of American Studies at the university for 5 years and also organised the Transatlantic Student Exchange with Canadian and US universities. His own research focussed primarily on volcanoes which saw him spend many years travelling the world. Scarth took early retirement in 1993, after which he concentrated on publishing his work, including 'Savage Earth' (1997), a work commissioned to accompany the ITV series of the same name. Scarth also contributed many papers, reviewed articles and journals and translated work from French into English. A regular visitor before his retirement, in his later years he spent more time living in France, often returning to his home in Broughty Ferry and to visit his extended family in Leeds with whom he was very close. Scarth moved permanently to Yorkshire in 2016 when illness overtook him, where he died in April of the following year.
James Paris Duguid was born on 10 July 1919 in Bo'ness. He was educated at Shirley House, Blackheath, London then Edinburgh Academy and the University of Edinburgh, graduating in 1942. While studying at Edinburgh University, Duguid unlocked the key to how penicillin works. His findings were published in the Edinburgh Medical Journal in 1946 but because they did not reach a wider audience, he did not get the credit he deserved. This was followed by a host of other scientific research, including his groundbreaking finding when he was first to identify one of the most virulent mechanisms for transmitting the bacterial infections E.coli and salmonella. From 1944 to 1962 Duguid worked was a Senior Lecturer and Reader at University of Edinburgh before becoming Professor of Bacteriology at University of St Andrews (1963-1967) and then at University of Dundee (1967-1984). Duguid died in Inverness on 9th March 2012, aged 92
Dr Charlie Dixon was a Senior Lecturer in the Mathematics Department at the University of Dundee and had worked there for over 47 years on his retiral in 2000, making him one of the University's longest serving members of staff. Charlie was a dedicated and enthusiatic teacher and the students' perennial favourite. He was an avid supporter of extending access to University to those who might not have considered further studies. He was the founding member of the University's Schools Liaison Office and the first Dean of Students for the Faculty of Science and Engineering. Educated at Morgan Academy, Dundee, Charlie went on to study mathematics at the University of St Andrews. His first post was a research assistant at Queen's College, Dundee before moving to London in 1960 to work in the meteorology department at Imperial College, London. Charlie returned to Dundee two years later as lecturer, then senior lecturer in the Mathematics Department at the University. Dr Dixon also taught at the University of Western Australia and for a short spell, at the University of New Mexico. Charlie was married to Margaret who had worked Dundee College of Commerce and Maryfield Hospital. Some of the these papers form part of Charlie's collection. Charlie was an accomplished bagpipe player and also enjoyed gardening in his spare time. Charlie died in 2009 aged 74 years old.
Margaret Dixon was married to Dr Charlie Dixon, a senior Maths lecturer at the University of Dundee. Margaret worked at Maryfield Hospital and Dundee College of Commerce.
John Foggie, born 1855 in St. Andrews, was a Joiner (Master) and worked as a Chemical Laboratory Steward 1883-1884 and a Lecture Demonstrator in the Chemistry Department 1897, later working conconcurrently as a clerk of works within the University College. He died in 1930 of myocardial degeneration in Dundee.
Alexander McKenzie was born in Dundee on 6 December 1869, the son of a teacher. From an early age he took a strong interest in Classics, and was an outstanding student at Dundee High School and at St Andrews University, where he went at fifteen. On completing his MA Degree in 1889, however, he took up his other interest in chemistry, with a teaching career in view, and graduated BSc in 1891. He was encouraged in particular by Thomas Purdie, who took him on as a lecture assistant from 1891 to 1893, when he became one of the first 'University Assistants'. Teaching took up most of his time till 1896, when he began research work in Purdie's field of stereochemistry and optical activity. This led him to leave St. Andrews in 1898 for the stimulating atmosphere the University of Berlin, where he studied at Landolt's laboratory, with its excellent polarimetric equipment. By 1899 he had fulfilled the requirements for his DSc Degree, but he returned to make further investigations in collaboration with the eminent Marckwald. He also took a strong interest in German language and culture. McKenzie left Berlin early in 1901, after graduating PhD cum laude, with an outstanding dissertation, and took up a research studentship of the Grocers' Company at the Jenner Institute in London. In October 1902 he became Assistant Lecturer and Demonstrator in Chemistry at Birmingham University, and then was appointed head of the Chemistry Department at Birkbeck College, London, in 1905. Here he was confronted with heavy teaching and administrative duties, but argued for the importance of (and continued to carry out) research work. In 1914, he was appointed to the Chair of Chemistry in University College, Dundee. During the First World War he was engaged in chemical work of national importance, but on the cessation of hostilities he was able to return to the stereochemical research work for which he now had more time and space. There followed a long string of articles, written in collaboration with a large number of research students-at the time of his election into the Royal Society in 1916 he had published 44 original research papers. When he retired from the Chair in 1938 the total had risen to about 120. He also continued to teach organic chemistry, and inorganic chemistry to first-year students. McKenzie kept up his international contacts and interests in culture, and in golf. On his retirement he continued to take an interest in his old department, but he suffered recurrent asthma and died on 11 June 1951.
Rosa Michaelson was a Senior Lecturer in Information Systems in the School of Business, University of Dundee. She worked in academia for over 30 years, with experiences as a research associate on several projects in different disciplines, including Electrical Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and Mechanical Engineering. Her first job in the University was in Mechanical Engineering (1986-88), her second post was 1990-2005 (Fellow in Business Computing in the Department of Accountancy and Business Finance), and she became senior lecturer in 2005. Rosa also managed department computing systems before becoming a lecturer in computer science. She was a founder member of Women in Computing (1984 onwards), and had a 40% secondment as the SHEFC Gender Equality co-ordinator from 2000-2003. In 2011 Rosa was awarded a PhD by the Institute of Education London; the topic was a socio-technical investigation of 30 years of educational technology adoption in higher education. She supervised postgraduates at both the masters and doctoral level. Rosa was active in the DAUT (Dundee Association of University Teachers). She retired in 2014.
Douglas Samuel Jones was born in Corby in 1922, and was the eldest of four children. He was educated at Wolverhampton Grammar School and Corpus Christi College, Oxford. He served in the Royal Airforce in a research capacity during the Second World War and was awarded an MBE for his work. He graduated from Oxford in 1947 and spent a year at MIT, before joining the staff of the University of Manchester. In 1957 he became Professor of Mathematics at Keele, joining Queens College, Dundee (then a College of the University of St Andrews, but which became the University of Dundee in 1967) in 1965 as Ivory Professor of Applied Mathematics, a post he held until his retirement in 1992 after which he became Emeritus Professor. He also served as Dean of the Faculty of Science and as a member of the Mathematics sub-committee of the University Grants Committee. Considered by his peers to be an outstanding mathematician, he was well known for his work on electromagnetic waves and noise shielding and was the author of a number of significant publications. He died in November 2013, and was survived by his two children, his wife Ivy having predeceased him.
Ian Imlach was an architect and lecturer at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art, Dundee. Born in London, 1930, Ian moved to Scotland to study architecture at Scott Sutherland School, Aberdeen. After graduating he travelled to Singapore for work before returning to Scotland in 1958. He worked in the practice of James Parr before joining the staff at the School of Architecture, Duncan of Jordanstone where he lectured until his retirement in 1995. Significant builds he was responsible for include Villa, 11 Victoria Road, Broughty Ferry; Villa, Roseangle, 1968; Dundee Synagogue, 1978.
Campbell Hewson was born on 23 May 1929. He and his wife moved to Dundee and took up residence in Monifieth in 1965. He was senior lecturer in the Education Department in the University. He started his research into Dundee with a view to taking a degree but in 1969 was offered a senior position with Kirkcaldy College of Technology, which he took which meant that he could not continue with his studies. He died after an accident in 2007.
Results 2301 to 2325 of 2403