Showing 2403 resultsNames
Dundee General Hospitals Board of Management was established in 1948 as the body of the National Health Service responsible for running the Dundee Royal Infirmary, the Royal Victoria Hospital, Armistead Convalescent Home, The Bughties, the Constitution Road Clinic, the Deafness Clinic, the Eye Institution, the Infant Hospital, the Orthopaedic and Rheumatic Clinic, the Gerard Cottage Hospital, Kings Cross Hospital, Maryfield Hospital, the Sidlaw Hospital and the Dundee Women's Hospital as well as the Mobile Mass Radiography Unit and the Special Appliance clinic. The first new hospital to be inaugurated under the control of the Board of Management was Ninewells Hospital, which was offically opened in 1974.
Richard Charles Alexander, a native of Edinburgh, was educated at George Watson's College, and at the University of Edinburgh, where he initially matriculated as a student of Arts, graduating M.A. in 1904. By then he had already begun his medical studies, and in 1908 he obtained his Medical degree with honours. A period of study in Paris followed, before he returned to Edinburgh to take up the exacting rounds of the young surgeon in training. In 1911 he obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, rising to become a tutor in clinical surgery, and an interim assistant surgeon. He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps between 1916 and 1919, an experience that was, inevitably, a tough lesson in practical surgery. Alexander returned to work in Edinburgh, and in 1921 was appointed visiting surgeon at Dundee Royal Infirmary and lecturer in clinical surgery at the University of St. Andrews. He became known as a first-rate teacher, with a remarkable memory, and in 1935 was promoted by the University Court to be Professor of Surgery in succession to Professor John Anderson. He also held posts of consulting surgeon to Perth Royal Infirmary and the Memorial Cottage Hospital, St. Andrews. During World War II, Alexander, in addition to his academic duties, served as Surgical Director of the Emergency Medical Service in the Eastern Region of Scotland. In recognition of this work he was awarded the C.B.E. in 1944. With the institution of the National Health Service in 1948, he continued his close relations with the practice of surgery in the hospitals of the Eastern Region, and was a member of the Board of Management of the Dundee General Hospitals. He retired in 1951, but kept an interest in clinical affairs and was a very well known and active figure in the city until his death in 1968.
Major General Neil Douglas Wimberley, CB, DSO, MC was the former Commanding Officer of the 51st Highland Division and Commandant of the Army Staff College, Camberley and was appointed Principal of University College Dundee on 1 October 1946. Wimberley was educated at Cambridge before entering Sandhurst. Staff at University College Dundee had experienced strained relations with those of St Andrews in the few years up to 1946 and the appointment of Wimberley served to boost morale. Despite initially enjoying good relations with Principal Irvine of St Andrews, within a year Wimberley was aware that the position UCD held and the regard in which it was held by Principal Irvine. Wimberley began to examine ways in which UCD could exist and at the same time develop within the St Andrews University framework. Whilst Wimberley was in favour of strengthening the financial and position of UCD he did not support any moves for separation of UCD from St Andrews. During Wimberley's tenure, a number of very capable academics joined the staff at Dundee and made concerted efforts to develop the courses and with support from the University College Council, develop the physical structures of campus. The period of examination of the roles of each constituent part of St Andrews University resulted in the Cooper and Tedder reports, both of which involved large scale reorganisation. Queen's College was established in 1954 as a direct result of the findings of a Royal Commission. This reported in April 1952 that the incorporation of University College, Dundee in the University of St Andrews could not continue as it was and made recommendations regarding the restructuring of the two institutions. Wimberley was not considered for the post of Master of Queens College and retired in 1954.
Edith Philip Smith, B.A., Ph.D., F.L.S., D.Sc., F.R.S.E., was Lecturer in Botany at University College and Queen's College, Dundee, between 1926 and 1960. From 1955 to 1960 she was head of department and for a time she was an instructor in genetics.
Emeritus Professor James Adams was born in Stirling in 1909 and was educated at the University of St Andrews and Oxford. He served in the RAF during the Second World War and was appointed inspector of schools thereafter. From 1950 he was lecturer in Humanities at the University of Aberdeen until 1954, when he was appointed to the Bell Chair of Education at University College Dundee. Professor Adams retired in 1980 and died in May 1983.
John David Bathgate MacDougall was born in 1918 and educated at Perth Academy and University College, Dundee, graduating from St. Andrews University with an MB, ChB with commendation in 1942. He joined the staff of St Salvator's College in 1943 and transferred to University College, Dundee, in 1946. His major research interest was tissue culture, and it is possible that his findings relating to the toxicity level of silicone rubbers was partly responsible for silicone rubber's subsequent adoption in surgical practice and by the National Blood Transfusion Service. He died in 1967.
Professor Archibald Duncan Campbell, Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Dundee, was a graduate from the University of Glasgow in 1945 and lectured there from 1945 to 1955. He was appointed as the first incumbent of the Bonar Chair of Applied Economics at Queen's College, Dundee, in 1955 and also became the first Dean of the first Faculty of Social Sciences in a Scottish University. In addition to his academic duties Professor Campbell fulfilled many national functions as a member of a variety of public bodies and investigative committees. This work included his membership of the Fleck Committee on the Fishing Industry in 1959 to 1960 and the Scottish Economic Council 1967-1970. He was also a member of various arbitration bodies of enquiry in labour matters. In recognition of this service he was awarded the CBE in 1972. In 1974 he gave up his Chair and became a full-time Chief Executive with Sidlaw Industries Ltd, the Dundee based textile manufacturers.
Donald Gordon was a tutor in surveying in the Department of Civil Engineering.
Angus MacGillivray, FRSE FSA Scot., was born in 1865 in Abriachan, Invernesshshire. He was educated at Fordyce Academy, and Aberdeen University Between 1889 and 1935 he held varous academic and medical apointments, notably as Lecturer in Ophthalmology at University College, Dundee and founder and surgeon of the Department of Ophthalmology, Dundee Royal Infirmary. MacGillivray died at his home in Crail in 1947
William Norrie Everitt held the Baxter Chair of Mathematics from 1962
Arthur Alexander Matheson was Emeritus Professor of Scots Law in the University of Dundee. He graduated MA with first-class honours in Classics, and LLB, with distinction, from the University of Edinburgh and became a Classical Exhibitioner at Balliol. He passed advocate in 1944. In 1949, at the age of 29, he was appointed to the newly instituted Chair of Scots Law in University College, Dundee and was the first Dean of the Faculty of Law, created in 1955. From 1958 until 1966 he was Master of Queen's College, Dundee during which time the ground was prepared for the foundation of the University of Dundee in 1967. He retired due to ill health in 1980 and died just before Christmas in 1981.
Professor Alexander David Peacock, Professor of Natural History at University College, Dundee, 1926-1956, was educated at Newcastle Royal Grammar School and Armstrong College, Newcastle (at that time part of the University of Durham) where he gained his BSc. in 1904. He first taught at a Jarrow school and then returned to Armstrong College as a student demonstrator in Zoology. After a short period as entomologist to the Nigerian Agriculture Department, he returned to Armstrong College as a lecturer in 1913. During the First World War, after serving at the front with the Royal Army Medical Corps he was recalled to headquarters to lecture on insects of military importance and he carried out research on trench fever. In 1919 he again returned to lecture at Armstrong College, and in 1926 he was appointed to the Chair of Natural History in University College, Dundee in succession to James Fairlie Gemmill. Peacock's work on the causes of trench fever led to the award of DSc. in 1927. The merit of his scientific work, especially in the field of parthenogenesis and cell-structures, was well acknowledged. He was for a time president of the zoology section of the British Association for the Advancement of Science and was awarded the Keith Medal of the Royal Society of Edinburgh for a paper in the Society's "Proceedings" and for his contributions in the fields of entomology and cytology. His early investigations in applied biology found fruit in the Second World War when, by his work in the establishment of a pest-control service in Scotland he materially safeguarded the nation's food supplies. Amongst his other duties and interests during his career in Dundee was his concern for adult education, and he was a prominent member of the local Education Committee and the Workers' Education Association. He also took an interest in the Polish community in Dundee, and was president of the Polish Society in the city during the Second World War. After the War he persuaded the War Office to donate a nissen hut which was used to establish the University field station at Braedownie, Glen Clova. A. D. Peacock was the father of Sir Alan Turner Peacock (1922-2014) , a noted economist and government advisor who held a number of academic posts, including serving as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Buckingham.
William Morton Mackay was appointed to University College in 1923 as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and retired as Senior Lecturer in 1962. He died on 12 November 1971.
Professor William John Tulloch was born in Dundee in 1887 and graduated MB ChB from St Andrews University in 1909. In 1914 he became the first lecturer in Bacteriology at Dundee and was promoted to the new chair at University College, Dundee, in 1921. He retired in 1962.
Henry Jack was born near Dundee in 1917 and went to the High School in Dundee. He entered Edinburgh University as a student in 1936 and graduated with a First Class Honours MA in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy in 1940. He gained an award at Christ's College, Cambridge in December 1940, but shortly afterwards was called up for meteorological work in the Royal Air Force. He returned to Cambridge in 1946, gained the Mathematical Tripos in 1949, and continued his studies there for a further year. In 1950 he was appointed to a lectureship in the Department of Mathematics at University College Dundee, to a Senior Lectureship in 1964 and to a Readership at the University of Dundee in 1970. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1970 and died in January 1978.
Iain Adamson was educated at Morgan Academy, Dundee and at St Andrews University where he studied mathematics. He lectured in mathematics at the University of Belfast, returning to Dundee in 1960 where he was appointed as a lecturer in mathematics in Queen's College. He undertook visiting lectureships to the University of Western Australia in the 1966, 1972 and 1978. Adamson was employed by the University of Dundee as a senior lecturer from c 1978. He retired from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in 1993 and published a number of books. He died in 2010.
Christopher J. Talbot was born in Lowestoft in 1940. Educated at Westminster City Grammar School, London, he later attended Imperial College, London from where he graduated BSc in 1963. He was an Oppenheimer Scholar at the Research Institute of African Geology, University of Leeds between 1963-1967 from where he obtained his PhD in 1967. After two years as a Research Associate at the School of Mining, Sheffield University he joined the Geology Department at Dundee University as an assistant lecturer. From 1983 he was Professor of Tectonics and Geodynamics at Uppsala University, Sweden concentrating on teaching and research into rock deformation. Talbot has conducted extensive research overseas and has published widely. He was still at Uppsala University in 2003.
David Rutherford Dow was a native of Crail, Fife. He was educated in Crail and at Waid Academy in Anstruther before attending St Andrews University, graduating MB ChB with distinction in 1911. He obtained a DPH in 1912 and in 1924 his MD thesis on arteriosclerosis was awarded commendation. He was admitted FRCPE and FRSE in 1932. After graduating, he acted as house surgeon in Dundee Royal Infirmary before moving to Great Ormond Street Hospital London. In 1913, Dow was appointed assistant lecturer in anatomy at United College, St Andrews and continued there until 1925 when he was appointed to the Cox Chair of Anatomy at University College Dundee. During the Second World War, he was also in charge of the anatomy department at United College at St Andrews. He was appointed Master of Queens College in 1954 and held this post while continuing with his teaching duties until 1958 when he retired. He was awarded the degree of LLD of St Andrews, honoris causa, in 1959. Professor Dow died in December 1979. Dr Agnes Dow (nee Morton), wife of DR Dow, also taught at University College. The Memorial Trust was set up after her death in 1998 and administered by Thorntons Solicitors. The Trust provides scholarships, student support, teaching facilities and other funding to medecine and dentistry. There is also a Dow Memorial Lecture which honours both husband and wife.
A. D. Walsh, or Donald Walsh as he was known, was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, in 1916. Educated at Cambridge he took a PhD in physical chemistry in 1941 and became an ICI fellow. In 1955, after six years as a lecturer and reader in physical chemistry at Leeds University, Walsh took over the chair of chemistry at Queen's College, Dundee. He was well respected for his work on molecular spectroscopy and combustion and his contribution to chemistry was recognised with his election to the Royal Society in 1964. During his time in Dundee he oversaw the expansion of the Chemistry Department and was made Dean of the Faculty of Science when the new University was created in 1967. As his international standing grew Walsh was frequently asked to lecture abroad. Forced to retire in 1976 through ill health, he died in 1977 at the age of sixty.
David Dick was born in Glasgow and attended Glasgow University before going to Balliol College, Oxford as a research student. In the late 1950s Dick was appointed Carlsberg Wellcome Research Fellow at the Carlsberg Laboratory in Copenhagen before returning to Oxford. In 1966 he took the post of Visiting Professor of Psychology at Duke University in the United States then, in 1968, was appointed Cox Professor of Anatomy at Dundee University. He was responsible for building up a distinguished Anatomy Department in the University's Medical Sciences Institute and was well respected both as a researcher and teacher. Illness forced him to take partial retirement in 1988 and he retired fully in 1991. Dick was a keen church goer and also took an active interest in politics, becoming honorary vice-president of the local branch of the Liberal Democratic Party. He also stood as a candidate in local district council elections. His other interests included writing and he published a collection of poems entitled 'Physics of the Heart' inspired by his struggle against heart disease. David Dick died in 1992 aged 65 and was survived by his wife Elizabeth and their children.
Professor Adam Patrick was born on the 29 June 1883 and was educated at Greenock Academy and then at the University of Glasgow where he graduated with an MA in 1904 and MB, ChB with Honours in 1908. In 1913 he graduated MD from Glasgow again with Honours and was awarded the Bellahouston Gold Medal for his MD thesis. After completing house posts at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow, the Glasgow Western Infirmary and Ruchill Infectious Diseases Hospital, he was appointed extra honorary dispensing physician at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and assistant to the professor of the practice of medicine in the University of Glasgow. During the first world war he served with the RAMC in the Mediterranean area and on his return to Glasgow in 1919 was elected Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1923 he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of St. Andrews, based at the medical school in Dundee, and during his professorship he was also visiting physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary and other local hospitals. He also operated a private practice as a consulting physician from his home in Windsor Street, Dundee. His practice mainly covered Angus, Perthshire and Fife, but he also had patients from outwith the area. He was elected FRCP in 1931 and FRCP Ed, in 1942. The Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the University of Glasgow was conferred on him in 1948 and that of the University of St. Andrews in 1952. He died on 19 September 1970. Professor Patrick took a deep interest in student life in the University and did much to establish the William Low Residence. In the Eastern Region of Scotland he inaugurated a Consultant Service in Medicine with regular visits to the district hospitals. He retired from the chair in 1950 and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine.
Professor Steggall was born in London in 1855, the son of Dr J W B Steggall, a physician, originally from East Anglia. He was educated at the City of London School and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating second Wrangler in 1878. He subsequently taught at Clifton College (1878-9) and Owens College, Manchester (1880-1883) before being appointed to the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at the newly founded University College, Dundee. He became Professor of Pure and Applied Mathematics in 1895. On his retirement in 1933 he received an honorary degree from the University of St Andrews. As well as being a brilliant mathematician, Steggall was keenly interested in music, art, architecture, and photography. He married Isabella Katherine Frazer, the sister of Sir James G Frazer, in 1878, with whom he had two daughters and a son, a Royal Naval officer who was killed at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
Professor Bell was Symers Professor of Physiology in the University of Dundee (formerly University College and Queen's College, Dundee), 1947-1975. He was a keen photographer and took photographs within the University and its surrounding area and during his travels around Britain and abroad, the latter particularly on the work of the Inter-University Council.
Robert Cochrane Buist was born in Dundee and studied at the Universities of St. Andrews, Cambridge and Edinburgh, at each of which he had a distinguished academic career. After serving as assistant physician at the Royal Edinburgh Asylum, Dr Buist was appointed lecturer in Clinical Midwifery and Gynaecology at University College, Dundee, in 1901, a post he held until his retirement in 1925. He was secretary of the Dundee Branch of the British Medical Association from 1894. Buist died 5 February 1939
Enid Gauldie, née MacNeilage, was educated at University College Dundee, graduating with an MA in 1947. She then worked for the University Library in St Andrews and for the reference section of Dundee Public Library, before leaving to have children. During this time she occasionally worked part time in the University Library in Dundee. In 1967 Gauldie was awarded a BPhil and went on to become a research assistant in the University's History Department. She remained there until 1970 when she left to have another child. Gauldie has published several books and articles and, in her retirement, opened an antique bookshop in Glendoick, Perthshire.
Results 2251 to 2275 of 2403