Showing 2400 resultsNames
The Episcopalians of Lochlee and Lethnot were driven out of their parish churches in 1716, after which they built new meeting houses on the Rowan and in Glen Lethnot. The Lethnot congregation died out by 1800 and the present church (St Drostan's) was built in 1879 in memory of the former Bishop of Brechin, Alexander Penrose Forbes, by his brother. It is the fourth Episcopalian church to have been constructed in Glenesk. There has been no resident clergyman at St Drostan's since 1921 and Lochlee was served from Fasque (1921-1942), Montrose (1942-1946), Drumtochty (1946-1953 and Brechin (1953 to date). In 1983 the charge was renamed Tarfside. Since 2005 the Reverend Jane Nelson has been Priest in Charge. The church's constitution was updated in 2009. The church is also the site of a self-catering lodge which can be used by groups or individuals.
St Andrew's Episcopal Church in Brechin, Angus is part of the Brechin Diocese. After being driven from Brechin Cathedral in 1695, the Episcopalians established a meeting-house in the High Street. A chapel was built in 1743. The seats and books of the chapel were burned at the Market Cross in 1746 by Cumberland's soldiers; the chapel was later taken over by the Qualified congregation. The charge was vacant from 1749 and was overseen from Lochlee (Tarfside) from 1770-1786. St Andrews Church was built in 1809 and consecrated on 23 June 1811; this was replaced by present day St Andrews Church in 1888. The project of building a new church in 1888 was spearheaded by Reverend James Crabb, according to the wishes of the late Bishop of Brechin, Alexander Penrose Forbes. The new church building was designed by the architect Alexander Ross of the firm Ross & MacBeth of Inverness. Lochlee (Tarfside) has been linked to Brechin since 1953.
Skinner, second son of John Skinner (1744–1816), bishop of St. Andrews, was born at Aberdeen on 24 October 1778, and educated at Marischal College, University of Aberdeen and at Oxford, where he matriculated from Wadham College on 3 March 1798, graduating B.A. in 1801, and M.A., B.D., and D.D. in 1819. Skinner was ordained by Bishop Samuel Horsley of St. Asaph's in March 1802. Returning to Scotland, he officiated as assistant, and afterwards as colleague, to his father in the incumbency of St. Andrew's Church, Aberdeen. On 11 September 1816 he was elected by the clergy of the diocese as successor to his father in the see of Aberdeen, and was consecrated at Stirling on 27 October 1816. Skinner was one of the bishops who attended the synod held at Laurencekirk on 18 June 1828 to revise the canons of 1811; thirty canons were adopted and duly signed on 20 June. In 1832 he confirmed as many as four hundred and sixty-two persons, and a first effort was made in the same year to circulate religious works in the Gaelic language. On 29 August 1838 he attended another synod held in St. Paul's Church, Edinburgh, when the canons were again revised. Upon the death of Bishop James Walker, Skinner was unanimously elected primus by an episcopal synod held in St. Andrew's Church, Aberdeen, on 2 June 1841. Both as bishop and "as senior Episcopalian bishop in Scotland," Skinner worked to consolidate the "Scottish Episcopal Church as a serious religious presence" in Scotland. This effort included having "the church's documents translated into Scottish Gaelic." He also "oversaw the establishment of Glenalmond College, near Perth" in 1844. He saw the school being used for educating potential clergy. In the previous year a serious controversy had sprung out of the refusal of Sir William Dunbar, priest of St. Paul's Chapel, Aberdeen, to receive or to administer the sacrament in accordance with the Scottish ritual. Acting with the concurrence of his synod, Skinner excommunicated Dunbar on 13 August 1843. The bishop was – according to the Dictionary of National Biography – assiduous and exemplary in the discharge of his duties, and did much during his primacy to consolidate the episcopal party in Scotland. Skinner was married and had one daughter, Mary Garioch (1806 - 1864). He died at 1 Golden Square, Aberdeen, on 15 April 1857, and was buried in the Spital cemetery on 22 April. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Skinner_(bishop) accessed 9/4/2020
Stuart Donald, honorary Archivist for the Diocese of Brechin photographed the register in 2016-2017
The Mission of St. Margaret was established in 1861. In 1875 it was raised to an Incumbency and in 1888 a church was built in Ancrum Road.
The church began as a Summer Mission in 1864, and became a formal Mission in 1876, meeting in a room lent by Miss Kinloch of Carnoustie House. In 1881 the Church of the Holy Rood was built, and in 1898 the charge was raised to an Incumbency.
There has been a Bleachfield at Claverhouse since at least 1792, operated at that time by Thomas Collier & Co. In 1814, the firm of Turnbull & Co., was founded at Claverhouse by Hector Turnbull, son of Hector Turnbull, (one of the first apprentices of the British Linen Co.'s field at Saltoun, who had come to Luncarty, Perth, to join William Sandeman, bleacher and linen dealer), in partnership with William Baxter (second son of John Baxter) and Henry Boase (of the Dundee New Bank). In 1865 Turnbull & Co., described as bleachers of Claverhouse, yarn millers at Trottick and calenderers in Dundee, was owned by the co-partnery of Sir David Baxter of Kilmeron (son of William Baxter, died 1854) and Henry Samuel Boase. In October of that year the firm's name was changed to Boase & Co. with Sir David Baxter owning, on behalf of Baxter Brothers & Co., half the company. The other half was held by the managing partners, Henry Samuel Boase and his second son Alfred, who became sole managing partner in 1871. Boase & Co. was registered as a limited company in 1892 with Baxter Brothers owning 55% of the shares and Alfred Boase as general manager and Charles Millet Boase as assistant manager and secretary. After the death of Charles Millet Boase in 1921 Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd., acquired the remaining shares and Boase & Co. Ltd., became a wholly owned subsidiary and a member of the Low & Bonar group in 1924.
Chaspec Packaging Ltd was formed as a joint venture between Don Bros, Buist & Co and the Chaspec Manufacturing Co of Greenwich, Connecticut in 1964 and was based at the Abbey Works in Arbroath. The firm manufactured a variety of packaging including boxes for the U.S. whisky industry. In 1966 Dons bought Chaspec out and renamed the firm Don & Low Ltd (which was, confusingly, later the name of the parent company). The company eventually annexed T Gaunt Rainwear, another business owned by the parent company. In 1983 the company was incorporated as Don & Low Packaging Ltd. However, lack of financial success meant that in 1985 the Don and Low group opted to sell it to Low and Bonar Ltd. It was dissolved in 1997.
J & J Smart, Brechin, Ltd was founded in 1838 and was based in Brechin, Scotland. In 1960 the company entered into informal merger negotiations with Don Brothers, Buist & Co Ltd. As a result of this merger John B. Smart, son of the firm's chairman, joined the board of the larger firm. The company's name seems to have been retained for sometime after the merger. Although a relatively small business, J & J Smart produced a variety of fabrics, including jute and cotton, and also experimented with new fabrics such as rayon in the 1950s.
Catherine Kinnear (1912-1988) was a bibliophile and antiquarian. She was a graduate of the University of St Andrews then trained as an orthoptist, working for over 40 years at the Nethergate Eye Clinic. Kinnear was active in Dundee Civic Trust and the Abertay Historical Society of which she was a founder member and also served as president.
Results 126 to 150 of 2400