Showing 2563 resultsNames
A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was incorporated in 1953 as a separate company within the A & S Henry Group to manage the parent company's operations in Dundee at Victoria Road Calender. The Company also had premises in London and Liverpool for the manufacture of cotton and jute sacks. Subsidiaries of the Company included E Carr & Sons Ltd, London, Jaffé Bros & Co (Dundee) Ltd, Moore & Weinberg (Dundee) Ltd, A & S Henry & Co (Paper Sacks) Ltd, and English Spinners Ltd, Blackburn. The firm also had a 25% holding in Tay Spinners Ltd, which was sold in 1970. In 1972 the parent company was taken over by Great Universal Stores and in the same year A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, was taken over entirely by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd. The Titaghur Company's holdings in Hardie and Smith Ltd and Dundee Brattice and Waterproofing Co Ltd, (acquired earlier in 1972) were transferred to A & S Henry (Dundee) Ltd, in December of that year for administrative purposes. William Watson (Dundee) Ltd, was acquired by the Company in 1980. In 1978 Titaghur sold 51% of its interest in A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, to Asiatic Jute Co Boston, USA and in 1983, A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, and its subsidiaries were placed in the hands of a receiver.
A & S Henry & Co Ltd was founded in 1805 in Manchester by Alexander Henry in partnership with his brother Samuel. Their uncle, Alexander Henry (born 1766 of Scottish parents), had emigrated to America from Ireland in 1783, establishing himself as a merchant in Philadelphia. The younger Alexander Henry also emigrated from Ireland and joined in his uncle's business but returned to England in 1804, rapidly establishing his company in marketing and distributing the products of the cotton industry from Manchester. The company expanded, opening branch offices in Bradford, Belfast, Leeds, Huddersfield and Glasgow to act as collecting stations for textile products of all kinds. In 1858 an office was opened in Dundee at 51 St Andrews Street although all business continued to be carried out through Glasgow until c.1903. The company's Dundee interests grew with the acquisition of premises and existing companies in the city and in 1953 A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was incorporated as a separate company. In 1972 A & S Henry & Co was taken over by Great Universal Stores and in the same year A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was taken over entirely by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd
- fl 1930s
A. S. Cumming was General Manager of J & G Paton Jute/Flax Processing of Montrose. In the 1930s he studied at Dundee Technical College.
In response to changing dynamics in Abernyte, the Abernyte Heritage Group was established in the mid 1980s as part of a drive to celebrate and retain local identity. The group was composed of longstanding residents and recent arrivals to the village and was involved in a number of projects. In 1988 the Group undertook its first project, Abernyte portrait of a Perthshire village in 1988, and in 1992 created a village collage. In 1996, the group decided to undertake an oral history study which saw them interview Abernyte residents and commit to tape their experiences and memories.
The Abertay Historical Society was founded at a meeting in University College, Dundee on 29 May, 1947 by the Principal, Major-General D.N. Wimberley and History Lecturer, Dr Wainwright. It was formed to encourage the study of local history in Angus, Perthshire and Fife. The Society and the University of Dundee have maintained close links: its meetings are normally held on University premises, while many members and office-holders have been University staff, including several presidents. The Society's original remit has been implemented through talks and lectures, excursions and annual publications, and with other agencies, it has also lobbied for the preservation of local historical buildings. It was instrumental in the creation of Dundee Heritage Trust. The Society also takes part in the Dundee Afternoon Lecture Series, which is run jointly by the Dundee Centre of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, the Dundee Members' Group of the National Trust for Scotland, the Dundee Naturalists' Society and the Abertay Historical Society. While based in Dundee, the Society also organises events in other parts of the Abertay area. The Archaeological Section of the Society was originally started as a semi-independent division of the Society, organising local excavations, and its own series of meetings, but from 1993, it was decided that the Council would oversee the running of the Section. The mid-1990s also saw the end of members excursions. For a brief period in the early 1970s, there was also an Industrial Archaeology Section, mainly concerned with recording the local industrial heritage. The archaeological work carried out by the Society has, since 2015, been organised by its Fieldwork Division. Since 1953, the Society has produced publications, usually on an annual basis, with the majority written by members.
Abertay Paper Sacks Ltd, Dundee was set up in 1949, with an agreement between Paper Sacks Ltd and C Davidson & Sons Ltd, Aberdeen, re manufacture. Both Low & Bonar and Jute Industries Ltd had commercial (sales) connections with the firm but it was short-lived.
Adam Anderson (1780-1846) was Rector of Perth Academy for 28 years from 1809, and then Professor of Natural History at St Andrews University, 1837-1846. Anderson concerned himself with numerous engineering projects: gas and water supply as well as matters to do with navigation of the Tay. He helped pioneer the use of gas lighting in Perth and the supply of water from the Tay by steam engine. In doing so he brought together skills that he possessed in chemistry, physics, geology, mathematics, architecture, and politics. Adam Anderson published widely on scientific and related matters and became a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1820. In 1827 the University of St. Andrews awarded him an honorary LLB. As an educationalist Anderson worked for the extension of education to working class children and adults – a Mechanics Institute was set up as a result. A Liberal he took part in agitation around the 1832 Reform Act. In 1837 he was awarded the Chair of Natural Philosophy at University of St Andrews, although he maintained close links with Perth, returning regularly. When he died on 5th December 1846 his coffin was escorted from St Andrews to Perth by a cortege for a civic funeral in the town. Source: https://madeinperth.org/adam-anderson/
Yagüi-Beltrán was a medical student at the University of Dundee and assisted Laura Adam with her research into David Kinloch.
Agnes Margot Cox MBE (1905-1983) was born in Lochee on 8 March 1905, the eldest child of James Ernest and Agnes Jane Cox. She was educated at Bentley Priory. A member of the British Red Cross, Margot served at the British Red Cross Convalescent Home, La Selva, Italy during the Second World war. She died at her home, Seaton House, Nairn on March 16 1983 and was buried at the Cox family burial ground, Meigle, Perthshire.
The Air Ministry was a department of the Government of the United Kingdom with the responsibility of managing the affairs of the Royal Air Force, that existed from 1918 to 1964. It was under the political authority of the Secretary of State for Air. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Ministry
Results 1 to 25 of 2563