Showing 2403 resultsNames
A & S Henry & Co Ltd was founded in 1805 in Manchester by Alexander Henry in partnership with his brother Samuel. Their uncle, Alexander Henry (born 1766 of Scottish parents), had emigrated to America from Ireland in 1783, establishing himself as a merchant in Philadelphia. The younger Alexander Henry also emigrated from Ireland and joined in his uncle's business but returned to England in 1804, rapidly establishing his company in marketing and distributing the products of the cotton industry from Manchester. The company expanded, opening branch offices in Bradford, Belfast, Leeds, Huddersfield and Glasgow to act as collecting stations for textile products of all kinds. In 1858 an office was opened in Dundee at 51 St Andrews Street although all business continued to be carried out through Glasgow until c.1903. The company's Dundee interests grew with the acquisition of premises and existing companies in the city and in 1953 A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was incorporated as a separate company. In 1972 A & S Henry & Co was taken over by Great Universal Stores and in the same year A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was taken over entirely by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd
A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd was incorporated in 1953 as a separate company within the A & S Henry Group to manage the parent company's operations in Dundee at Victoria Road Calender. The Company also had premises in London and Liverpool for the manufacture of cotton and jute sacks. Subsidiaries of the Company included E Carr & Sons Ltd, London, Jaffé Bros & Co (Dundee) Ltd, Moore & Weinberg (Dundee) Ltd, A & S Henry & Co (Paper Sacks) Ltd, and English Spinners Ltd, Blackburn. The firm also had a 25% holding in Tay Spinners Ltd, which was sold in 1970. In 1972 the parent company was taken over by Great Universal Stores and in the same year A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, was taken over entirely by the Titaghur Jute Factory Co Ltd. The Titaghur Company's holdings in Hardie and Smith Ltd and Dundee Brattice and Waterproofing Co Ltd, (acquired earlier in 1972) were transferred to A & S Henry (Dundee) Ltd, in December of that year for administrative purposes. William Watson (Dundee) Ltd, was acquired by the Company in 1980. In 1978 Titaghur sold 51% of its interest in A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, to Asiatic Jute Co Boston, USA and in 1983, A & S Henry & Co (Dundee) Ltd, and its subsidiaries were placed in the hands of a receiver.
Results 2401 to 2403 of 2403