Showing 2403 resultsNames
The Polish Armed Forces Project was set up by Dr Petr Lesniewski, honorary research fellow at the University of Dundee. The object of the project is to collect oral history, memoirs, testimonials, recollections, documents and any other related material recording the presence of the 200,000 plus Polish soldiers, sailors and airmen who arrived in Scotland between 1940 and 1947. During the Second World War, Polish servicemen were interned in Hungary and Romania, held in forced labour camps in Russia, or forcibly conscripted into the German Army. Many thousands of them escaped to join the Allied war effort and were sent to Scotland for retraining at the Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, stationed in and around Leven and Largo in Fife, and the Polish First Armoured Division in Perth and towns and villages throughout Angus. At the end of the war many of the Polish soldiers trained in Fife who returned to their homeland became secret agents with the underground Home Army and lost their lives, whilst others vanished in Stalin's camps. As a result, thousands of the Polish servicemen stationed in Scotland chose to remain and were assimilated into Scottish society.
L.P. Michie was a chemist in Dundee that was active from at least 1907-1920.
John James Dalyell, son of James Dalyell and Marie Ann Dalyell, was born in France c.1835. He was brought up in Scotland, mainly at Carnoustie. He became a commission merchant and agent of the Royal Insurance Co, Dundee, specialising in setting rates for the transportation of jute products as well as dealing with industrial and domestic property insurance. Dalyell was an active member of a number of local organisations and clubs. He was instrumental in establishing the 3rd Forfarshire Artillery Volunteers, in which he served as Lieutenant and later Captain of B. Battery, and took a prominent role in the administrative business of the corps. Dalyell was a keen sportsman, being a member of the Angus and Mearns Rifle Association, Dundee Cricket Club, and the Caledonian Union, Dalhousie, and Monifieth Golf Clubs. He was Captain and later Honorary Secretary of the Caledonian Union Golf Club, Carnoustie, for whom he was an enthusiastic advocate and promoter. Dalyell tried his hand at authorship, and a number of his stories survive mainly in draft copy. They are generally humorous accounts of sporting excursions. In the early months of 1872 Dalyell contracted what became a serious illness, being chiefly afflicted with severe head pains. In its initial stages the malady resulted in several months spent travelling, but it soon became serious enough for Dalyell to give up his work with, first, the Royal Insurance Co, and then with William Shiels & Co, wine merchants of Leith, whom he had joined in late 1872. By summer 1873 Dalyell was forced to sever all his social and sporting ties with the area. He was admitted into the Royal Lunatic Asylum, Montrose, at about this time, and it appears that he was detained there, possibly until his death, which occurred some time after 1897.
The Grahame family is an ancient one, which can trace its history back to the early 12th Century, and the family were styling themselves 'of Morphie' by 1398. By the mid 19th Century the estate had passed from the last male line of Morphie, to his cousin, a representative-male of Barclay of Balmiquuan, on the condition that he and his heirs bear the name and arms of Grahame of Morphie only. It appears that the family deeds were sold at that time. In 1852 the estate was increased with the purchase of Stone O'Morphie from J R Scott Esquire.
John Drinkwater was born at Leytonstone, Essex, on 1 June 1882 and was educated at Oxford High School. His father tried to discourage him from going on stage despite being an actor himself. However, Drinkwater met Barry Jackson, a fellow theatrical enthusiast, and in 1907 they formed the Pilgrim Players. Success encouraged the pair, and Drinkwater became theatre manager of the Birmingham Repertory Theatre in 1909, which became a professional outfit in 1913. In 1918 Drinkwater completed his own first play, about Abraham Lincoln, which was a success, and continued in the historical genre thereafter, although his output as a writer encompassed a wide range. He died in London on 25 March 1937.
The museum is home to life and earth science specimens comprising some 80 million items within five main collections: botany, entomology, mineralogy, paleontology and zoology. The museum is a centre of research specialising in taxonomy, identification and conservation.
Alexander Thoms, of the Thoms of Clepington family, was the son-in-law of Matthew Forster Heddle (1862-1884), Professor of Chemistry at the University of St Andrews. As a young man Thoms went to Bengal, India, where he remained engaged in estate and plantation business for about thirty years. In 1884 he moved to St Andrews and remained there until his death. He was active in local affairs and a keen supporter of St Andrews Cottage Hospital. In 1884 he was ordained an elder in St Leonard's kirk and was kirk treasurer from 1889-1921. An amateur mineralogist, Thoms presented a valuable collection of stones and minerals to University College, Dundee. He died in 1925 aged 89.
The Abertay Historical Society was founded at a meeting in University College, Dundee on 29 May, 1947 by the Principal, Major-General D.N. Wimberley and History Lecturer, Dr Wainwright. It was formed to encourage the study of local history in Angus, Perthshire and Fife. The Society and the University of Dundee have maintained close links: its meetings are normally held on University premises, while many members and office-holders have been University staff, including several presidents. The Society's original remit has been implemented through talks and lectures, excursions and annual publications, and with other agencies, it has also lobbied for the preservation of local historical buildings. It was instrumental in the creation of Dundee Heritage Trust. The Society also takes part in the Dundee Afternoon Lecture Series, which is run jointly by the Dundee Centre of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society, the Dundee Members' Group of the National Trust for Scotland, the Dundee Naturalists' Society and the Abertay Historical Society. While based in Dundee, the Society also organises events in other parts of the Abertay area. The Archaeological Section of the Society was originally started as a semi-independent division of the Society, organising local excavations, and its own series of meetings, but from 1993, it was decided that the Council would oversee the running of the Section. The mid-1990s also saw the end of members excursions. For a brief period in the early 1970s, there was also an Industrial Archaeology Section, mainly concerned with recording the local industrial heritage. The archaeological work carried out by the Society has, since 2015, been organised by its Fieldwork Division. Since 1953, the Society has produced publications, usually on an annual basis, with the majority written by members.
Alexander Hutcheson lived at Herschel House, Broughty Ferry. He was an amateur antiquary and a pioneer in the study of old Scottish song-books.
The firm Patons of Montrose was known as John and George Paton in 1889. The family had owned a textile mill in Montrose for some time before this date and the business continued until at least 1922. The mill itself was known as Patons' Mill and was a well known local landmark.
Robert Fleming received the Freedom of the City of Dundee in 1927.
David Guthrie (d 1941) was a trainee journalist with D.C. Thomson, Dundee. He retired to Jersey and died there in 1941.
Born 8 November 1840 in the parish of Monikie, John Sturrock was an artisan, a member of a small, elite group of some 3,000 skilled men in Dundee. He was an engineer with joinery skills employed as a mill wright at Lilybank Foundry. During the time of these diaries he lodged in Victoria Street, living close to his place of work. His father, grandfather and brothers were employed in agriculture, as was the family of his cousin, Mary, whom he married in December 1867. The diaries showed Sturrock to be self-educated, hard working - Dundee's industrial fortunes were at their peak in the 1860s - pious and a nascent nationalist. Source: CA Whatley, 'Introduction' in 'The Diary of John Sturrock Millwright 1864-65' (1996)
In 1903 John C. Low and George Bonar entered into a partnership agreement to carry on the business of merchanting jute goods in both home and foreign markets. In 1909, East Port Calender works, a cloth-finishing and bag sewing and printing establishment was acquired. In 1912 the original partnership became incorporated as a Private Limited Company, Low & Bonar Ltd and the share capital of William Fergusson & Sons Ltd was purchased to give the company an interest in jute weaving. In 1924 the company acquired control of Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd. The Eagle Jute Mills were built in 1930 on the site of the Dens Foundry and engineering works formerly operated by Baxter Brothers. In 1951 with the acquisition of a controlling interest in Bonar Long & Co Ltd, the company diversified into the field of electrical engineering and in 1953 the group's jute spinning activities were further expanded by the acquisition of Henry Boase & Co.
The Economic Bag Co Ltd was based in Montreal and shared the same directors as The Canadian Bag Co Ltd, Bonar Packaging Ltd, and Bonar & Bemis Ltd.
Baron Self Copy Limited became Edenvale (Senior Citizens) Holidays Limited in 1981
PL Instrumental Electronics was bought by R H Cole Ltd, later Bonar Cole Electronics Ltd in 1981.
T Wighton & Co Limited was incorporated in 1925 as flax, tow, hemp and jute spinners, cotton spinners and doublers, linen manufacturers, rope, cord and twine manufacturers and merchants.
Low & Bonar probably bought Wemyss Textiles Ltd in 1976. Wemyss Textiles Limited was a holding company, manufacturing textiles through its subsidiary companies: G & J Johnston (Wemyss) Ltd, Wemyss Weavecraft Ltd, Ireland & Wishart Ltd, and Alexander Firth Ltd.
Aldous & Campbell Ltd became Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd in 1961. In 1965 GHP Lifts Limited was incorporated as a parent company for Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd and Etchells Congdon & Muir Ltd. In 1966 the two parts of the company split: the Etchells side of the business changed its name first to GHP Lifts Ltd, and almost immediately back to Etchells Congdon & Muir Ltd, finally becoming GHP Services Ltd from 1967. Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd became Grosvenor Hypower Ltd, changing its name to Bonar Hypower Ltd in 1981.
EAP (Extrusions) Ltd became EAP (Materials) Ltd in 1954.
Results 201 to 225 of 2403