Showing 2400 resultsNames
Aldous & Campbell Ltd became Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd in 1961. In 1965 GHP Lifts Limited was incorporated as a parent company for Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd and Etchells Congdon & Muir Ltd. In 1966 the two parts of the company split: the Etchells side of the business changed its name first to GHP Lifts Ltd, and almost immediately back to Etchells Congdon & Muir Ltd, finally becoming GHP Services Ltd from 1967. Aldous Campbell Hypower Ltd became Grosvenor Hypower Ltd, changing its name to Bonar Hypower Ltd in 1981.
George Bonar, Managing Director of Low & Bonar, invited Tom Long, an electrical engineer, and his colleague, Henrik Rissik, to Dundee to launch their new company for manufacturing mercury arc rectifiers, transformers and electric arc welding equipment, at premises in part of the Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd., Dundee factory, a subsidiary of Low and Bonar. The lease for the new company, Bonar Long & Co. Ltd, began in October 1936. Source: http://www.scran.ac.uk
Based in Montreal, the company was known as Thomas Bonar & Co (Canada) Limited until 1974, when the name became Bonar Packaging Limited. The firm manufactured jute sacks etc., and had links with Bonar & Bemis Ltd and The Canadian Bag Co Ltd.
Alexander Penrose Forbes B.A. was a Scottish Episcopalian divine and leading cleric in the Scottish Episcopal Church. He was educated at first the Edinburgh Academy, then Glasgow University, completing his studies at the East India Comprehensive College where he was based after joining the Civil Service. On his return to England he attended Brasenose College, Oxford, via the Boden Sanskrit scholarship. He graduated with a B.A. in 1844. He went on to be Bishop of Brechin from 1847 until his death in 1875. George Frederick Boyle was a Scottish nobleman. He was briefly elected at a by-election in February 1865 as MP for Buteshire. He held the offices of Deputy Lieutenant of Fife and Renfrewshire. Then he went on to hold the office of Lord Clerk Register of Scotland from 1879 until his death. Sources: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Forbes_(bishop_of_Brechin) and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Boyle,_6th_Earl_of_Glasgow
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the Emergency Medical Service was established to try and cope with the large numbers of expected war casualties. Seven 'temporary' hospitals were built in Scotland for this; Bridge of Earn in Perthshire, Stracathro in Angus, Ballochmyle in Aryshire, Peel in Selkirkshire, Killearn in Dunbartonshire, Raigmore in Inverness and Law in Lanarkshire. Bridge of Earn Hospital was built in 1939 and in 1946 the Rehabilitation Unit which had been at Gleneagles Hotel, was moved to Bridge of Earn. Then in 1947 the Orthopaedic Unit was transferred from Larbert. This allowed Bridge of Earn Hospital to continue after the War and it was only in 1992 that it closed.
Results 201 to 225 of 2400