Showing 2403 resultsNames
The SunSunnyside Royal Hospital nyside Staff Social & Recreational Club was a members club run by staff from the Sunnyside Royal Hospital. Club records start with meeting minutes from 1982 with the clubhouse being opened in 1985 after renovations. The club house was located at the Sunnyside House, Hillside.
The Sunnyside Staff Social & Recreational Club was a members club run by staff from the Sunnyside Royal Hospital. Club records start with meeting minutes from 1982 with the clubhouse being opened in 1985 after renovations. The club house was located at the Sunnyside House, Hillside.
Originally donated to Sunnyside Museum by Mrs Duncan of Montrose, daughter of the Mrs Guthrie in the photograph.
The photos that make up this collection were given to Sunnyside Museum by Ivy Baxter, whose sister trained at Sunnyside. They were later transferred to the University of Dundee Archives.
Sunnyside Bowling Club was formed on 25th July 1973 and was wound up in 1995.
King's Cross Hospital was opened in November 1889 at Clepington Road, Dundee. It was the first permanent fever hospital in Dundee, built by the Town Council for the treatment of infectious diseases, such as typhus, smallpox, diptheria, etc. Prior to this fever patients were admitted to ordinary wards at Dundee Royal Infirmary. However the need for isolation was gradually recognised with the erection of wooden pavilions on the outskirts of Lochee and also on the site of the present King's Cross Hospital for the reception of smallpox and typhus patients between 1867 and 1873. These temporary structures were demolished with the building of King's Cross Hospital. Initially there were only two wards, but by 1913 the hospital had been extended to seven wards plus a variety of ancillary buildings. In 1893 accommodation was built for cases of smallpox, with a small unit for cases of cholera. This became known as Kings Cross Hospital (West). It was used intermittently especially between 1901 and 1905 and on a larger scale in 1927 during an outbreak of variola minor, which necessitated the building of another ward on the site. With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948, the administration of King's Cross Hospital passed from the Local Authority to the newly formed Eastern Regional Hospital Board. The Regional Board decided to centralise the management of infectious disease in King's Cross Hospital and to close the former fever hospitals of Friarton in Perth, Whitehills in Forfar and Little Cairnie in Arbroath. King's Cross thus became a Regional Hospital for Tayside, admitting patients from Dundee, Angus, Perth, Perthshire, Kinross and North Fife. While many bacterial infectious diseases were controlled over the years with the introduction of immunisation and antibiotics, outbreaks of viral illnesses, such as influenza, hepatitis, meningitis and AIDS, as well as diarrhoeal illnesses, such as gastro-enteritis and salmonella, illustrate the changing pattern of infectious diseases. A new Cubicle Isolation Unit (Ward 9), based on a Swedish prototype, was opened on 5th March 1964. In 1979 King's Cross Hospital West, the original smallpox hospital was closed and in 1982 Wards 3,4 and 5 were upgraded to accommodate patients with respiratory disease, and geriatric patients. The construction of a new Out-Patient Department, as well as a Pulmonary Function Laboratory and an extension of the X-ray Department began in 1988. During the 1990s and 2000s many of the hospital's services were transferred to Ninewells Hospital. The hospital now serves as the administrative headquarters of NHS Tayside and also retains various out-patient services including audiology, physiotherapy and x-ray.
The Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was opened on 20th September 1965 and occupied "The Lodge", a house built by John Don of William, John Don & Company and which had housed a Red Cross hospital during the First World War and then the Infant Hospital. The Centre was the first special purpose in-patient facility in the United Kingdom to offer a comprehensive, integrated service to amputees. In 1979 the title Tayside Rehabilitation Engineering Services was adopted to embrace the full range of activities at the Centre and its sister unit in Dundee Royal Infirmary. In 1994 the Centre became part of the Dundee Teaching Hospital NHS trust.
In 1836 the need for medical provision "for the relief of the poor" in Arbroath was so great that a dispensary was set up by public subscription and run by the local medical practitioners. A typhus epidemic in 1842 resulted in the first in-patient service, a small fever ward for the isolation of typhus sufferers, and from 1843 subscriptions were being raised to develop this into an infirmary. With the aid of donations from subscribers and from Lord Panmure the new Infirmary opened in 1845 to provide both out-patient and in-patient care. By 1913 this building was becoming overcrowded and in 1916 the Infirmary moved to a new building on Rosemount Road. This was extended further in 1961 with the addition of the Queen Mother maternity wing. In 1948 the hospital was absorbed into the Eastern Region Hospital Board under the terms of the National Health (Scotland) Act of 1947. In 2020 it is managed by NHS Tayside.
The Rev James Gerard Young DD (1821-99) was minister of the Parish of Monifieth from 1855-1899. The Gerard Trust resulted from provision made in his will for the establishment of a cottage hospital in Monifieth. The Gerard Cottage Hospital opened in October 1905 and operated under the management of a trust until July 1948 when its running was transferred to the Eastern Regional Hospital Board. The records deal particularly with the establishment and administration of the Gerard Cottage Hospital, Monifieth. The hospital was closed in 1969 and the building was altered and extended to become St. Mary's Residential Home for the elderly, run by the Sisters of that Order and owned by the Diocese of Dunkeld.
With the 1947 National Health Service (Scotland) Act, the Eastern Region Hospital Board was created to manage hospital provision in Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. With reorganisation in the 1970s, this role was undertaken by Tayside Health Board, whose districts corresponded with the local authority boundaries.
The Eastern Regional Hospital Board was established in July 1948 in response to the NHS (Scotland) Act. From headquarters in Dundee it managed hospital provisions in the counties of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. Its services were also used by the North and East Fife hospitals. Following reorganisation in the mid-1970s, it was replaced by the Tayside Health Board. The board consisted of three boards of management, each concerned with one or more hospitals grouped as to type and geographical region.
The Eastern Joint Ophthalmic Services Committee consisted of the ophthalmic service committees of Dundee, Angus, Perth and Kinross. From 1948 it was responsible for the financial and practical administration of the ophthalmic service for these three areas, providing eyecare, eye testing and spectacles for individuals and school children.
The National Health Service Executive Council was appointed under the National Health Service Act (Scotland) of 1947. It was responsible for the financial administration of the Act in the general medical service and the dental, pharmaceutical, general practice and ophthalmic services. The Dundee, Perth and Kinross and Angus Executive Councils operated as part of a Scottish Association of Executive Councils founded in 1948.
The Insurance Committees' function was to deal with claims for treatment under the National Insurance Act (1911). They operated via various sub-committees - namely Finance, Sanatorium Benefit and Medical Benefit committees to make provision for sickness and maternity benefit. The operations of the committees were restructured under the National Health Insurance (Scotland) Act of 1937, and their function ceased entirely with the beginning of the National Health Service.
Maryfield Hospital had its origins as the East Poorhouse Hospital, which was opened in 1893 by Dundee Parish Council for the treatment of the sick poor. The Hospital was built alongside the East Poorhouse, situated on five acres of land near Stobswell, on the west side of Mains Loan, south of Clepington Road, Dundee. The Poor Law Amendment Act of 1845 provided the framework upon which the welfare services could be built and the Parochial Board of Dundee adopted a resolution in 1852 to provide a Poorhouse for the Parish, which was to accommodate paupers, including the physically and mentally ill. It opened in 1856 and was renamed the East Poorhouse after the amalgamation of the Parochial Boards of Dundee and Liff and Benvie in 1879. The Liff and Benvie Parish Poorhouse, latterly known as the West Poorhouse, was erected on the north side of Blackness Road and opened in 1864. Following the abolition of the parish councils under the Local Government (Scotland) Act in 1929 its running was taken over by the town council. In the 1930s it began to concentrate its efforts in the field of maternity and childcare. In 1948 it became part of the new National Health Service. Maryfield Hospital expanded and eventually occupied all of the old poorhouse site, and was Dundee's second main hospital after the Royal Infirmary. Maryfield Hospital also had psychiatric wards, which were amalgamated in 1959 with the District Asylum (Westgreen) and the Royal Asylum (Gowrie House) to form the Dundee Royal Mental Hospital. Maryfield Hospital closed down to patients in stages between 1974 and 1976 and its services were taken over by the new Ninewells Hospital (opened in 1974). Some of the buildings were subsequently used by Tayside Health Board for administrative purposes.
The Convalescent Hospital was opened on 28 November 1860 in premises in Union Place to provide convalescent facilities funded by public subscription. It moved to William Street, Forebank, in 1870 and its operation ceased around 1911. Dundee Convalescent Hospital was not connected with Dundee Convalescent Home, Barnhill, which was endowed by David Baxter and which was part of Dundee Royal Infirmary.
The formation of a sanatorium for the free treatment of the effects of Tuberculosis was first proposed in 1899. The Earl of Airlie donated a site at Auchterhouse in the Sidlaw Hills outside Dundee. The Sanatorium was opened by his wife in September 1902, receiving its first patients in March of the following year. It operated as a charitable concern until 1910, when management of the Sanatorium was transferred to the Dundee Royal Infirmary. The Sanitorium was latterly used as a convalescent home and also catered for respite care patients. Sidlaw Hospital was closed from 4 November 1980 and its patients transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Dundee.
Dundee Mental Hospital (Board of Management) was the body in charge of operating mental health provision in Dundee from 1948 to 1974, when the administration was transferred to Tayside Health Board. As such it was responsible for the management of Royal Dundee Liff Hospital, which was also its administrative centre, Strathmartine Hospital and the Armitstead Children's Hospital.
Dundee District Board of Lunacy was created out of the larger County District Lunacy Board in 1899. In its new form it purchased Westgreen Asylum from Dundee Royal Asylum for Lunatics in 1903 for £90,000. Westgreen Asylum was then developed to provide care for pauper patients in the Dundee area. From May 1914 the name of the board changed to the Dundee District Board of Control.
Dundee Royal Infirmary had its origins in the Voluntary Dispensary founded in the city by public subscription in 1782. This proved so beneficial to the community that in 1793 Dr. Small proposed that an Infirmary for indoor patients should be founded. His proposal was realised in 1798, when the first 56-bed Dundee Infirmary was erected at King Street. Only the central portion was built at the time, the wings being erected in 1825-27. The Infirmary was granted a Royal Charter by George III in 1819, establishing it into a Body Corporate and Politic, called the "Dundee Royal Infirmary and Asylum". In 1820 the Asylum was formally established as a separate entity in premises in Albert Street, Dundee. By the mid nineteenth century the King Street premises were no longer adequate and in 1852 building started on a new site in Barrack Road, near Dudhope Castle. Designed by Messrs. Coe & Godwin of London, it was completed and opened in February 1855, when patients were transferred from King Street. Originally constructed to accommodate 220 patients, later additions were made and the hospital began to diversify its services with new children's, ear and eye, ear nose and throat wards and an out patient clinic. The infirmary was granted further Royal Charters in 1877 and 1898 - the former on the occasion of the opening of a convalescent home at Barnhill and the latter providing for the addition of a maternity hospital. In July 1948 the running of the Infirmary was transferred to the National Health Service in accordance with the 1947 National Health Service (Scotland) Act. The hospital closed in 1998.
The Scottish Institute for Policing Research was established in 2007. It is a partnership between Scottish Universities and the Scottish police service. Nicholas Fyfe Dean of the University of Dundee's School of Social Sciences was the founding Director. Its key strategic aims are to develop policing research capacity in Scottish universities; using this capacity to carry out high quality research of relevance to Scottish police forces; developing knowledge exchange mechanisms to strengthen the evidence base on which policing policy is founded; and developing national and international links with other researchers, practitioners and policy makers.
Professor Chris Murray is the first Professor of Comic Studies in the world. He created the Comic Studies program at the University of Dundee and lectures in Comics, Film, and English. He personal comics collection is so large, he built a shed in his garden to house it.
Results 176 to 200 of 2403