Showing 2403 resultsNames
The church began as a Summer Mission in 1864, and became a formal Mission in 1876, meeting in a room lent by Miss Kinloch of Carnoustie House. In 1881 the Church of the Holy Rood was built, and in 1898 the charge was raised to an Incumbency.
There has been a Bleachfield at Claverhouse since at least 1792, operated at that time by Thomas Collier & Co. In 1814, the firm of Turnbull & Co., was founded at Claverhouse by Hector Turnbull, son of Hector Turnbull, (one of the first apprentices of the British Linen Co.'s field at Saltoun, who had come to Luncarty, Perth, to join William Sandeman, bleacher and linen dealer), in partnership with William Baxter (second son of John Baxter) and Henry Boase (of the Dundee New Bank). In 1865 Turnbull & Co., described as bleachers of Claverhouse, yarn millers at Trottick and calenderers in Dundee, was owned by the co-partnery of Sir David Baxter of Kilmeron (son of William Baxter, died 1854) and Henry Samuel Boase. In October of that year the firm's name was changed to Boase & Co. with Sir David Baxter owning, on behalf of Baxter Brothers & Co., half the company. The other half was held by the managing partners, Henry Samuel Boase and his second son Alfred, who became sole managing partner in 1871. Boase & Co. was registered as a limited company in 1892 with Baxter Brothers owning 55% of the shares and Alfred Boase as general manager and Charles Millet Boase as assistant manager and secretary. After the death of Charles Millet Boase in 1921 Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd., acquired the remaining shares and Boase & Co. Ltd., became a wholly owned subsidiary and a member of the Low & Bonar group in 1924.
Chaspec Packaging Ltd was formed as a joint venture between Don Bros, Buist & Co and the Chaspec Manufacturing Co of Greenwich, Connecticut in 1964 and was based at the Abbey Works in Arbroath. The firm manufactured a variety of packaging including boxes for the U.S. whisky industry. In 1966 Dons bought Chaspec out and renamed the firm Don & Low Ltd (which was, confusingly, later the name of the parent company). The company eventually annexed T Gaunt Rainwear, another business owned by the parent company. In 1983 the company was incorporated as Don & Low Packaging Ltd. However, lack of financial success meant that in 1985 the Don and Low group opted to sell it to Low and Bonar Ltd. It was dissolved in 1997.
J & J Smart, Brechin, Ltd was founded in 1838 and was based in Brechin, Scotland. In 1960 the company entered into informal merger negotiations with Don Brothers, Buist & Co Ltd. As a result of this merger John B. Smart, son of the firm's chairman, joined the board of the larger firm. The company's name seems to have been retained for sometime after the merger. Although a relatively small business, J & J Smart produced a variety of fabrics, including jute and cotton, and also experimented with new fabrics such as rayon in the 1950s.
Catherine Kinnear (1912-1988) was a bibliophile and antiquarian. She was a graduate of the University of St Andrews then trained as an orthoptist, working for over 40 years at the Nethergate Eye Clinic. Kinnear was active in Dundee Civic Trust and the Abertay Historical Society of which she was a founder member and also served as president.
Shiell and Small, solicitors, was founded in 1832 by John Shiell of Smithfield and David Small. It began trading in New Inn Entry before moving to larger premises in Bank Street in the 1860s. A family concern until 1891, W. Thomson Currie, who had been admitted as a co-partner, assumed control and continued the practice under the same name. Shiell and Small acted as Treasurers to the University College Dundee and the Technical Institute, served as Clerks for the Baxter Park Trust and were factors for the Dalhousie, Rossie Priory and Baldovan estates. Shiell and Small ceased trading in 1990.
Baxter Park was donated to the community by Sir David Baxter of Kilmaron (1793-1872) and his sisters Eleanor and Mary Anne (1800-1884). The layout of the park's 37 acres was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and included grassy areas, terraced walks and shrubberies which offered 'a most agreeable summer promenade affording beautiful recreation and pure air to all classes.' In the pavilion at the centre of the park, a marble statue of Sir David was erected, paid for by public subscription. On 9 September 1863 Baxter Park was opened by John Russsell, 1st Earl Russell (a former and future Prime Minister) in front of a crowd of over 70,000 people. Originally estimated to have cost £50,000, Baxter Park was placed under the charge of Trustees. In 1908, because the Trust Investments were no longer enough to maintain the park, the Trustees handed over responsibility to the Town Council.
The Exchange was established in 1856 by Sir John Ogilvy. He offered land in Bank Street which he and others had purchased to be used as the site. The Corn Exchange and its associated buildings were used by the public for concerts, classes, meetings and a picture saleroom. It was originally administered by a committee, which included members such as John Leng, proprietor of the Dundee Advertiser, and Lord Kinnaird.
The Eastern Bank of Scotland was established in Dundee in 1838 with an office in the Trades Hall. The bank had branches in Anstruther, Inverkeithing and Montrose as well as agents throughout Britain. In November 1862, negotiations were entered into with the Clydesdale Bank, resulting in amalgamation in 1863.
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway Company was incorporated in May 1836, the line opening in October 1838 from a temporary station at Craigie, Dundee, and becoming fully operational by April 1840. A proposed junction with the Arbroath and Forfar Railway was never built which left the line somewhat isolated, accentuated by stiff competition from a thriving waterborne coastal trade and a good existing road between Arbroath and Dundee. In August 1848 the line was leased to the Dundee and Perth Railway Company, and in 1862 this company was absorbed by the Scottish North Eastern Railway Company. Control then passed to the Caledonian Railway Company, who latterly leased it to the Aberdeen Railway Company. In 1880 it was passed to the Caledonian Railway/North British Railway Company, and finally in 1923 to the London & North Eastern Railway/London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company.
The Elder family owned 8 acres of land, part of the Camperdown Estate in Dundee. The land passed through at least six generations of the family, beginning with James Elder (c 1737-1778) who was infeft of the land by instrument of sasine in 1749.
Dr Stout was Director of the Association 1958-1971. The British Jute Trade Research Association was established in 1946. Its main functions were to carry out research on all aspects of jute production and processing and to provide assistance to member firms.
David Robert Robertson (1870-1949) was a Dundee jute merchant, botanist, antiquarian and mountaineer. He was a keen churchman with a great knowledge of the Highlands and a talent for sketching
The Grimond family were flax spinners. By 1793 David Grimond owned Lornty Mill, Blairgowrie and his brother James owned Oakbank Mll, Blairgowrie. The family business of J & A D Grimond was established in Dundee in 1840, originally as a cloth merchant, and soon after as jute weavers. Throughout the records the family name appears as Grimmond and Grimond.
William Christie was a Blacksmith in Rhynd, near Perth, in the mid 20th century. He also grew fruit on a small acreage and hired out equipment to other fruit growers in the area.
Alexander Strachan of Carmylie received the lands of Brigton, in the parish of Kinnettles, Forfarshire, from Robert III. In the first quarter of the seventeenth century the Lyon family of Glamis bought Brigton from the Strachans. The barony was acquired by the Douglas family, who were related to the Earls of Angus, in the first half of the eighteenth century. William Douglas, the first of Brigton was succeeded by his son Robert who died by 1752 and was succeeded by his son William.
Alexander J H Russell was born in 1882, the son of Walter Nicoll Russell of Dunfermline. He was educated at Dollar Academy, then at the universities of St Andrews, Cambridge and Liverpool. In 1910 he married Jessie Waddell. Russell became Professor of Hygiene and Bacteriology at Madras Medical College between 1912 and 1917, and Professor of Pathology between 1919 and 1921. From 1913 to 1914 he was Medical Officer of Health for Madras City, then Director of Public Health in 1922. Between 1933 and 1939 he was the Public Health Commissioner with the Government of India. In 1939 Russell retired, but he continued to play a role in public health, and between 1940 and 1945 he was Additional Deputy Chief Medical Officer for the Department of Health for Scotland. He died in 1958.
A bookselling, printing, and stationery business was set up in High Street by Thomas Donaldson in 1791, the first such shop in Dundee. Donaldson died in 1827, and in 1830 Frederick Shaw, a former apprentice, purchased the business from Thomas Donaldson's widow. In 1850 William Kidd was taken on as an apprentice, and in 1858 the shop moved to Reform Street. Kidd continued to work there until 1871, when he set up his own shop in Union Street. On his retirement in 1875, Frederick Shaw sold his business, to Kidd, who closed both shops, opening a new one in Nethergate. When, in 1883, Whitehall Street was built, William Kidd erected 'Palace Buildings' there, in which, in 1885, he opened a large new shop with warehouses and workshop.
William Duncan was an iron-moulder by trade and served his apprenticeship in the Albion Foundry. He was an investigator with Dundee Distress committee for four years before holding a similar position with Dundee Parish Council for three months in 1921. After leaving the Parish Council he returned to his trade as a moulder in the Blackness foundry. His field note book for his months at Dundee Parish Council was transcribed by William M Duncan.
The Dundee Institute of Architecture, Science and Art was established in 1884 on the proposal of Charles Ower, a specialist in domestic architecture. He suggested that a local organisation be formed along the lines of London's Architectural Association, "to afford facilities for the study of architecture, the applied sciences and the fine arts by means of papers and discussions; sectional meetings, classes for study; prizes; visits to public works and buildings or excursions for sketching; and such other means as the council may determine". In 1891 the Institute became the second architectural society in Scotland to enter into an alliance with the Royal Institute of British Architects, giving recognition to Dundee as the centre for architectural education north of the River Tay. At the instigation and with the support of The Institute, pupilage was initially supplemented by evening classes and by the 1920s, a School of Architecture was established. This was at the local Technical Institute before being moved to the new art college. In the 1930s, the Architect's Institute was involved in discussions concerning the proposed Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. Once the College was established, the Institute provided a representative on the Board of Governors and also provided teaching staff. The period after 1945 has been marked by the Institute's continued interest in architectural education, providing a liaison between local architectural practices and the School of Architecture at the Duncan of Jordanstone College, University of Dundee.
Badenach Nicolson (1832-1899) was the Secretary to Lord Advocate 1866-68 and 1874-80.
Results 176 to 200 of 2403