Showing 2400 resultsNames
Skinner, second son of John Skinner (1744–1816), bishop of St. Andrews, was born at Aberdeen on 24 October 1778, and educated at Marischal College, University of Aberdeen and at Oxford, where he matriculated from Wadham College on 3 March 1798, graduating B.A. in 1801, and M.A., B.D., and D.D. in 1819. Skinner was ordained by Bishop Samuel Horsley of St. Asaph's in March 1802. Returning to Scotland, he officiated as assistant, and afterwards as colleague, to his father in the incumbency of St. Andrew's Church, Aberdeen. On 11 September 1816 he was elected by the clergy of the diocese as successor to his father in the see of Aberdeen, and was consecrated at Stirling on 27 October 1816. Skinner was one of the bishops who attended the synod held at Laurencekirk on 18 June 1828 to revise the canons of 1811; thirty canons were adopted and duly signed on 20 June. In 1832 he confirmed as many as four hundred and sixty-two persons, and a first effort was made in the same year to circulate religious works in the Gaelic language. On 29 August 1838 he attended another synod held in St. Paul's Church, Edinburgh, when the canons were again revised. Upon the death of Bishop James Walker, Skinner was unanimously elected primus by an episcopal synod held in St. Andrew's Church, Aberdeen, on 2 June 1841. Both as bishop and "as senior Episcopalian bishop in Scotland," Skinner worked to consolidate the "Scottish Episcopal Church as a serious religious presence" in Scotland. This effort included having "the church's documents translated into Scottish Gaelic." He also "oversaw the establishment of Glenalmond College, near Perth" in 1844. He saw the school being used for educating potential clergy. In the previous year a serious controversy had sprung out of the refusal of Sir William Dunbar, priest of St. Paul's Chapel, Aberdeen, to receive or to administer the sacrament in accordance with the Scottish ritual. Acting with the concurrence of his synod, Skinner excommunicated Dunbar on 13 August 1843. The bishop was – according to the Dictionary of National Biography – assiduous and exemplary in the discharge of his duties, and did much during his primacy to consolidate the episcopal party in Scotland. Skinner was married and had one daughter, Mary Garioch (1806 - 1864). He died at 1 Golden Square, Aberdeen, on 15 April 1857, and was buried in the Spital cemetery on 22 April. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Skinner_(bishop) accessed 9/4/2020
The idea of a hospital at Blairgowrie had been initiated by Mrs Clerk-Rattray in 1882, and on whose death bequeathed £25 for 'such an institution should it ever be founded'. Several attempts were made to get subscriptions going over the following years but they all failed. Then Mrs Macpherson of Newton Castle, Blairgowrie gifted the site and that was followed by subscriptions ranging from donations of £1000 downwards. The architect, Lake Falconer of L & J Falconer, architects, Blairgowrie, gave his services free, while furnishings and landscaping was also donated. Blairgowrie and Rattray Districts Cottage Hospital was opened on 30 May 1901, housing two large wards with room for three female and three male beds, plus more if needed. By 2020, it was part of NHS Tayside, known as Blairgowrie Community Hospital, housing a 17 bedded GP Uniit and a Minor Injury and Illness Unit
There has been a Bleachfield at Claverhouse since at least 1792, operated at that time by Thomas Collier & Co. In 1814, the firm of Turnbull & Co., was founded at Claverhouse by Hector Turnbull, son of Hector Turnbull, (one of the first apprentices of the British Linen Co.'s field at Saltoun, who had come to Luncarty, Perth, to join William Sandeman, bleacher and linen dealer), in partnership with William Baxter (second son of John Baxter) and Henry Boase (of the Dundee New Bank). In 1865 Turnbull & Co., described as bleachers of Claverhouse, yarn millers at Trottick and calenderers in Dundee, was owned by the co-partnery of Sir David Baxter of Kilmeron (son of William Baxter, died 1854) and Henry Samuel Boase. In October of that year the firm's name was changed to Boase & Co. with Sir David Baxter owning, on behalf of Baxter Brothers & Co., half the company. The other half was held by the managing partners, Henry Samuel Boase and his second son Alfred, who became sole managing partner in 1871. Boase & Co. was registered as a limited company in 1892 with Baxter Brothers owning 55% of the shares and Alfred Boase as general manager and Charles Millet Boase as assistant manager and secretary. After the death of Charles Millet Boase in 1921 Baxter Brothers & Co. Ltd., acquired the remaining shares and Boase & Co. Ltd., became a wholly owned subsidiary and a member of the Low & Bonar group in 1924.
In 1861 W L Boase purchased a factory at Johnshaven for the manufacture of hemp sackings. In 1867 a factory in Maxwelltown, Dundee, was also purchased and the following year Boase joined the firm of Boswell & Co, hemp spinners, Leven. This firm became known as Small and Boase in 1869 when W.L. Boase's cousin Edward Boase became a partner. Boase Spinning Company registered as a limited liability company in 1886 and was an amalgamation of Messrs Small and Boase, Leven, and William L. Boase and Co, Dundee. It was registered as a private company in 1908 and was incorporated as the Boase Spinning Company (1920) Ltd in 1920. In 1968 a new holding company was created, called South Mills (Textiles) Limited, while the Rockwell and G.C. Taylor & Son branches continued to have the name Boase Spinning Company. Sidlaw Industries Limited purchased a controlling interest in the company in 1972, buying the company outright in 1973. South Mills (Textiles) became a dormant company in 1984.
Bob Smith was Chief Technician at Dundee Dental Hospital
Bonar & Bemis Ltd was previously called the Canadian-Bemis Bag Co Ltd. It was based in Montreal and manufactured paper and plastic bags throughout Canada. It had links with The Canadian Bag Co Ltd and Thomas Bonar & Co (Canada) Ltd.
The firm R H Cole Ltd became the Cole Group PLC in 1981 and in 1986 it became Cole Electronics Ltd. It later became Bonar Cole Electronics Ltd. The company purchased PL Instrumental Electronics Limited in 1983.
The Glasgow firm of J E Small, Paper Bag Manufacturer, was incorporated in 1923. The company was also based at New Bridge Mills, Bury, Lancashire. In 1952 J E S (Glasgow) Limited was incorporated to purchase the company, after which it changed its name back to J E Small Limited. The company became Bonar Small Limited in 1981, and in 1983 it became Bonar Consultancy Limited.
Hugh Smith was a family company established in 1875 producing heavy and medium machine tools designed primarily for shipbuilding and steel fabricators. Hugh Smith & Co Ltd was incorporated in 1903 and was voluntarily wound up in 1935 when Hugh Smith & Company (Possil) Ltd was incorporated. The name changed to Hugh Smith (Glasgow) Ltd in October 1960 and it became Bonar Hugh Smith in 1981.
Results 176 to 200 of 2400