Showing 2403 resultsNames
Major General Neil Douglas Wimberley, CB, DSO, MC was the former Commanding Officer of the 51st Highland Division and Commandant of the Army Staff College, Camberley and was appointed Principal of University College Dundee on 1 October 1946. Wimberley was educated at Cambridge before entering Sandhurst. Staff at University College Dundee had experienced strained relations with those of St Andrews in the few years up to 1946 and the appointment of Wimberley served to boost morale. Despite initially enjoying good relations with Principal Irvine of St Andrews, within a year Wimberley was aware that the position UCD held and the regard in which it was held by Principal Irvine. Wimberley began to examine ways in which UCD could exist and at the same time develop within the St Andrews University framework. Whilst Wimberley was in favour of strengthening the financial and position of UCD he did not support any moves for separation of UCD from St Andrews. During Wimberley's tenure, a number of very capable academics joined the staff at Dundee and made concerted efforts to develop the courses and with support from the University College Council, develop the physical structures of campus. The period of examination of the roles of each constituent part of St Andrews University resulted in the Cooper and Tedder reports, both of which involved large scale reorganisation. Queen's College was established in 1954 as a direct result of the findings of a Royal Commission. This reported in April 1952 that the incorporation of University College, Dundee in the University of St Andrews could not continue as it was and made recommendations regarding the restructuring of the two institutions. Wimberley was not considered for the post of Master of Queens College and retired in 1954.
Richard Charles Alexander, a native of Edinburgh, was educated at George Watson's College, and at the University of Edinburgh, where he initially matriculated as a student of Arts, graduating M.A. in 1904. By then he had already begun his medical studies, and in 1908 he obtained his Medical degree with honours. A period of study in Paris followed, before he returned to Edinburgh to take up the exacting rounds of the young surgeon in training. In 1911 he obtained the Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, rising to become a tutor in clinical surgery, and an interim assistant surgeon. He served in the Royal Army Medical Corps between 1916 and 1919, an experience that was, inevitably, a tough lesson in practical surgery. Alexander returned to work in Edinburgh, and in 1921 was appointed visiting surgeon at Dundee Royal Infirmary and lecturer in clinical surgery at the University of St. Andrews. He became known as a first-rate teacher, with a remarkable memory, and in 1935 was promoted by the University Court to be Professor of Surgery in succession to Professor John Anderson. He also held posts of consulting surgeon to Perth Royal Infirmary and the Memorial Cottage Hospital, St. Andrews. During World War II, Alexander, in addition to his academic duties, served as Surgical Director of the Emergency Medical Service in the Eastern Region of Scotland. In recognition of this work he was awarded the C.B.E. in 1944. With the institution of the National Health Service in 1948, he continued his close relations with the practice of surgery in the hospitals of the Eastern Region, and was a member of the Board of Management of the Dundee General Hospitals. He retired in 1951, but kept an interest in clinical affairs and was a very well known and active figure in the city until his death in 1968.
Dundee General Hospitals Board of Management was established in 1948 as the body of the National Health Service responsible for running the Dundee Royal Infirmary, the Royal Victoria Hospital, Armistead Convalescent Home, The Bughties, the Constitution Road Clinic, the Deafness Clinic, the Eye Institution, the Infant Hospital, the Orthopaedic and Rheumatic Clinic, the Gerard Cottage Hospital, Kings Cross Hospital, Maryfield Hospital, the Sidlaw Hospital and the Dundee Women's Hospital as well as the Mobile Mass Radiography Unit and the Special Appliance clinic. The first new hospital to be inaugurated under the control of the Board of Management was Ninewells Hospital, which was offically opened in 1974.
Baldovan Institution was founded in 1852, mainly through the benevolence of Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvy and from voluntary contributions and fees. It was established on the north bank of the Dighty as an orphanage, hospital and place of education and training for 'imbecile' children, accommodating 30 children. As such it was the first hospital of its kind in Scotland and the second in Britain. The Orphanage opened on 30th November 1854 and the Asylum opened on 6th January 1855. In 1856 it's name was changed to Baldovan Asylum and it expanded it's operations after it received it's licence under the Lunacy Act of 1858, which legalised it's function as a home for children. It was found that contact with 'imbeciles' had a detrimental effect upon the orphans and so in 1867 the Orphanage moved to other premises and the Baldovan Asylum concentrated its efforts on the care and education of mentally handicapped children. By 1879 the number of children accommodated at the Asylum had increased to 70 and the site where the Administrative block now stands was acquired. By 1904 the Main Building wards were built and occupied by 160 children. The Mental Deficiency (Scotland) Act was passed in 1913, providing state supervision of mental defectives, which led to an increased demand for accommodation at Institutions like Baldovan. Between 1904 and 1932 further developments included another ward, staff residency, school facilities, a large Recreation Hall as well as occupational therapy and training in domestic, farm and garden work. In 1925 the Baldovan Institution Confirmation Act sanctioned the trustees to form an Incorporation with the counties of Aberdeen, Forfar (Angus), Kincardine and Perth to undertake the management of the hospital with provision for children of all four counties. In 1948 the running of the Hospital was transferred to the National Health Service. Subsequent developments included a change of name in 1959 to Strathmartine Hospital and major building works in 1963-1965, which saw the demolition of the original premises and the creation of new and improved facilities, including three new single storey wards and a swimming pool. Two new 25 bed wards were opened in 1980.
The Dundee Lunatic Asylum was established as part of the Dundee Infirmary and supported by voluntary contributions from c.1810. The foundation stone of the new asylum was laid on 3rd September 1812. The Asylum was officially opened in April 1820, when three patients were admitted. It was erected to the design of William Clark and was later extended by the Architect, William Burns. In 1819 the Dundee Lunatic Asylum was erected into a Body Corporate and Politic by an Act of George III as part of the Dundee Royal Infirmary and Asylum and in 1820 it was formally established as a separate entity - the Dundee Lunatic Asylum - in premises in Albert Street, Dundee. In 1875 it received a Royal Charter from Queen Victoria and became the Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum. In 1874 the Directors purchased land at Westgreen Farm, a pleasant and healthy site, near the parish of Liff and Benvie, for the purpose of building a new asylum. The foundation stone for the new asylum was laid on 17th September 1879 and patients were transferred there by October 1882. The building of Gowrie House began in January 1899 to the south of the main building of Westgreen, for the accomodation of around 60 private patients. In 1903 Westgreen Asylum was sold to Dundee District Lunacy Board and was thereafter called the Dundee District Asylum, but Gowrie House continued to be operated by the trustees as the Dundee Royal Lunatic Asylum. Operations of the Royal Asylum were transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and administered by the Dundee Mental Hospitals Board of Management, under the jurisdiction of the Eastern Regional Hospital Board. In 1959 the District Asylum (Westgreen) and the Royal Asylum (Gowrie House) were amalgamated, along with the psychiatric wards at Maryfield Hospital to form the Dundee Royal Mental Hospital. In 1963 the Dundee Mental Hospitals Board of Management became known as the Dundee Northern Hospitals Board of Management and the Dundee Mental Hospital was to be henceforth known as the Royal Dundee Liff Hospital. On 1st April 1974 the new Tayside Health Board assumed the functions of all other Hospital Management Boards in Tayside. In 1992 Royal Dundee Liff Hospital became part of the Dundee Health Care (NHS) Trust. In 1999 the three non acute Trusts in Tayside (Dundee, Angus and Perth) amalgamated to form the Tayside Primary Care Trust. A new psychiatric unit was opened in 2001 in the grounds of Ninewells Hospital to allow for the closure of the main building at Liff (formerly Westgreen, then Centre Division and finally Greystanes House), which closed in December 2001. The hospital fully closed in c 2013
The Dundee Eye Institution was established in 1836 by Dr Cocks, a practitioner in the city, to provide a free service to those who could not afford ophthalmic treatment. It operated in premises at 84 Murraygate from 1844 to 1892, when it moved to a larger building at 86 Nethergate so that the Institution could expand its work. At first hospital operations were carried out at the Royal Infirmaries in Edinburgh and Glasgow, but in 1892 the Dundee Royal Infirmary established an ophthalmic department which included two four bed wards for Eye Institution patients. After this the Eye Institution confined itself to out-patient work, though it continued to develop links with the Medical School of St Andrews University, which was then situated in Dundee. The Institution closed circa 1975.
A meeting of newly elected directors in August 1931 led to the establishment of the Dundee Orthopaedic and Rheumatic Clinic in November of that year. The clinic was based in premises at 3 Kemback Street, Dundee. In 1948 the administration of the service passed to the National Health Service. The clinic closed circa 1975.
The Dundee Women's Hospital and Nursing Home developed from a dispensary for women and children set up in the 1890s for the treatment of women by female doctors. In May 1897 a small hospital, the Dundee Hospital for Women, was set up in Seafield Road to provide surgical care at a low cost. It later moved to Elliott Road. When the National Health Service Act came into effect in 1948 the Women's Hospital and Nursing Home unsuccessfully petitioned the Secretary of State for permission to keep operating the hospital as a private charitable concern and not as part of the National Health Service. The hospital closed circa 1975.
Stracathro Hospital was established in 1939 as a wartime Emergency Hospital facility for casulalties of World War II. It then became a District General Hospital and since 2005, Stracathro has been the site for the Scottish Regional Treatment Centre.
Hillside Home, Perth was founded in 1876 for those suffering with incurable diseases. In 1883, it moved to a site on Dundee Road, Perth and became known as Hillside Home. In 1888 a building was provided for patients suffering from consumption (TB). In 1901 Barnhill Sanatorium in Perth opened. This was probably the building referred to as a new hospital for those with consumption and was built in connection to Hillside. In 1908 the property adjacent to Hillside and accomodation was provided for the treatment of phtisis. Hillside closed in 1997 and was demolished in 2007 to make way for a housing development.
Health Councils began in 1975 following the publication of the Millan Report. Initially three councils were established, in Angus, Dundee and Perth and Kinross. In 1991 these came together to be known as Tayside Health Council. The council was an independent body, that surveyed the service provided by the NHS from the patients perspective. By conducting visits to NHS premises, and making use of volunteers and members of the public to compile surveys and reports, they provided evidence of the level of care received by patients. The council was dissolved 31st March 2005, and replaced by The Scottish Health Council, a national organisation with local offices in each health board area.
The idea of a hospital at Blairgowrie had been initiated by Mrs Clerk-Rattray in 1882, and on whose death bequeathed £25 for 'such an institution should it ever be founded'. Several attempts were made to get subscriptions going over the following years but they all failed. Then Mrs Macpherson of Newton Castle, Blairgowrie gifted the site and that was followed by subscriptions ranging from donations of £1000 downwards. The architect, Lake Falconer of L & J Falconer, architects, Blairgowrie, gave his services free, while furnishings and landscaping was also donated. Blairgowrie and Rattray Districts Cottage Hospital was opened on 30 May 1901, housing two large wards with room for three female and three male beds, plus more if needed. By 2020, it was part of NHS Tayside, known as Blairgowrie Community Hospital, housing a 17 bedded GP Uniit and a Minor Injury and Illness Unit
The Perth City and County Infirmary was completed and open to patients on 1st October 1838. The building was designed by city architect William Macdonald Mackenzie (1797-1856) in the Grecian style of architecture. The hospital was funded by contributions and subscriptions and the original cost of the land and buildings was £6812-15-3 ½ and contiuned to be supported by congregational collections, donations from idividuals and by a number of legacies. After various additions and alterations to the hospital, a new building was erected with the original building now housing the A.K. Bell Library. The new Perth Royal Infirmary was built in 1914 in Taymount Terrace and cost £36,000, largely from donations, supcriptions and fund-raising. The P.R.I is still in use as a hospital today.
At the outbreak of the Second World War, the Emergency Medical Service was established to try and cope with the large numbers of expected war casualties. Seven 'temporary' hospitals were built in Scotland for this; Bridge of Earn in Perthshire, Stracathro in Angus, Ballochmyle in Aryshire, Peel in Selkirkshire, Killearn in Dunbartonshire, Raigmore in Inverness and Law in Lanarkshire. Bridge of Earn Hospital was built in 1939 and in 1946 the Rehabilitation Unit which had been at Gleneagles Hotel, was moved to Bridge of Earn. Then in 1947 the Orthopaedic Unit was transferred from Larbert. This allowed Bridge of Earn Hospital to continue after the War and it was only in 1992 that it closed.
Murthly Hospital was completed and open to patients on 1st April 1864 as the Perth District Asylum for pauper lunatics. It was the second district asylum to open in Scotland, and in 1894 became one of the first to build villas within its grounds in an early attempt to provide accommodation for patients based on the colony or village system. The hospital closed in 1984 and is now demolished.
The Society in Aid of Incurable Persons in Dundee and District was formed in 1896-1897. The Society raised funds to purchase Balgay House, Jedburgh Road, Dundee, which was extended and adapted to become the Victoria Hospital for Incurables, Dundee. The Hospital opened on 26th August 1899 and in 1900 Queen Victoria named the Institution the Royal Victoria Hospital. In 1928 the Society was granted a Royal Charter by King George V to become a Body Corporate and Politic under the title 'The Royal Victoria Hospital, Dundee'. The Hospital provided long-term nursing care for a small number (usually about fifty) of terminally ill patients from 1899 to 1948, when it was transferred to the administration of the National Health Service. Developments after this date included the addition of a geriatric ward in 1959. By the early twenty-first century Royal Victoria was mainly used as a hospital for patients within the Dundee area over the age of 65. Royal Victoria Hospital is also home to the Centre for Brain Injury Rehabilitation.
The Community Medicine Department of Tayside Health Board was based at Westgate Health Centre, Charleston Drive, Dundee. It's duties included assessments for rehousing on health grounds. Tayside Health Board replaced the Eastern Regional Hospital Board following The National Health Service (Scotland) Act of 1972.
Dundee College of Nursing was opened on 7th June 1969 and the first Principal was Mr. F. Ellis. The College was developed to fulfil the policy of the Eastern Regional Hospital Board Nurse Training Committee that there should be a single school in the Dundee area for the training of student nurses for admission to the General or other Parts of the Register of Nurses and for all pupil nurses training for admission to the Roll of Nurses. The opening of the new College provided instruction for 500 student and pupil nurses from general and mental hospitals in the Dundee area.
Perth College of Nursing and Midwifery was formed in 1969, as an amalgamation of the Group Training Schools of the Perthshire General Hospitals and Murray and Murthly Hospitals. It's premises were located at 129 Glasgow Road, Perth. It closed c 1995.
The following is copied from the British Medical Journal, volume 311, 14 October 1995 James Walker, emeritus professor of obstetrics and gynaecology, University of Dundee (b 1916; q Glasgow 1938; MRCOG 1947;MD 1954), d 27 June 1995. After the war, in which he served in the RAF, Jimmy Walker became one of the pioneers of fetomaternal medicine, his research at Glasgow forming the basis of his MD thesis. In 1956 he went to a chair of obstetrics and gynaecology at St Andrews (later Dundee), where he remained until he retired in 1981, pioneering cervical screening long before it became a national service. Thereafter he became a professor at Kebangsaan University, Kuala Lumpur, where he helped develop the department of obstetrics and gynaecology. A member and chair of many national and international committees, he chaired the international federation committee of gynaecology and obstetrics on annual reports, records, and definitions of terms in human reproduction, being awarded the distinguished service award at the Montreal conference in 1994. He was awarded the CBE in 1971. He leaves a wife, Cathie, a son (professor of obstetrics at Leeds) and two daughters (both doctors) [Malcolm Macnaughton].
Dundee Limb Fitting Centre was originally based in Broughty Ferry, founded in 1965 by Professor George Murdoch, who specialised in the study of prosthetics and officially opened by legendary amputee and air ace Sir Douglas Bader. It moved to the Tayside Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Technology Centre by Ninewells Hospital in 1999.
Results 151 to 175 of 2403