Showing 2400 resultsNames
Shiell and Small, solicitors, was founded in 1832 by John Shiell of Smithfield and David Small. It began trading in New Inn Entry before moving to larger premises in Bank Street in the 1860s. A family concern until 1891, W. Thomson Currie, who had been admitted as a co-partner, assumed control and continued the practice under the same name. Shiell and Small acted as Treasurers to the University College Dundee and the Technical Institute, served as Clerks for the Baxter Park Trust and were factors for the Dalhousie, Rossie Priory and Baldovan estates. Shiell and Small ceased trading in 1990.
Baxter Park was donated to the community by Sir David Baxter of Kilmaron (1793-1872) and his sisters Eleanor and Mary Anne (1800-1884). The layout of the park's 37 acres was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and included grassy areas, terraced walks and shrubberies which offered 'a most agreeable summer promenade affording beautiful recreation and pure air to all classes.' In the pavilion at the centre of the park, a marble statue of Sir David was erected, paid for by public subscription. On 9 September 1863 Baxter Park was opened by John Russsell, 1st Earl Russell (a former and future Prime Minister) in front of a crowd of over 70,000 people. Originally estimated to have cost £50,000, Baxter Park was placed under the charge of Trustees. In 1908, because the Trust Investments were no longer enough to maintain the park, the Trustees handed over responsibility to the Town Council.
The Exchange was established in 1856 by Sir John Ogilvy. He offered land in Bank Street which he and others had purchased to be used as the site. The Corn Exchange and its associated buildings were used by the public for concerts, classes, meetings and a picture saleroom. It was originally administered by a committee, which included members such as John Leng, proprietor of the Dundee Advertiser, and Lord Kinnaird.
The Eastern Bank of Scotland was established in Dundee in 1838 with an office in the Trades Hall. The bank had branches in Anstruther, Inverkeithing and Montrose as well as agents throughout Britain. In November 1862, negotiations were entered into with the Clydesdale Bank, resulting in amalgamation in 1863.
The Dundee and Arbroath Railway Company was incorporated in May 1836, the line opening in October 1838 from a temporary station at Craigie, Dundee, and becoming fully operational by April 1840. A proposed junction with the Arbroath and Forfar Railway was never built which left the line somewhat isolated, accentuated by stiff competition from a thriving waterborne coastal trade and a good existing road between Arbroath and Dundee. In August 1848 the line was leased to the Dundee and Perth Railway Company, and in 1862 this company was absorbed by the Scottish North Eastern Railway Company. Control then passed to the Caledonian Railway Company, who latterly leased it to the Aberdeen Railway Company. In 1880 it was passed to the Caledonian Railway/North British Railway Company, and finally in 1923 to the London & North Eastern Railway/London, Midland & Scottish Railway Company.
The Elder family owned 8 acres of land, part of the Camperdown Estate in Dundee. The land passed through at least six generations of the family, beginning with James Elder (c 1737-1778) who was infeft of the land by instrument of sasine in 1749.
Dr Stout was Director of the Association 1958-1971. The British Jute Trade Research Association was established in 1946. Its main functions were to carry out research on all aspects of jute production and processing and to provide assistance to member firms.
David Robert Robertson (1870-1949) was a Dundee jute merchant, botanist, antiquarian and mountaineer. He was a keen churchman with a great knowledge of the Highlands and a talent for sketching
The Grimond family were flax spinners. By 1793 David Grimond owned Lornty Mill, Blairgowrie and his brother James owned Oakbank Mll, Blairgowrie. The family business of J & A D Grimond was established in Dundee in 1840, originally as a cloth merchant, and soon after as jute weavers. Throughout the records the family name appears as Grimmond and Grimond.
William Christie was a Blacksmith in Rhynd, near Perth, in the mid 20th century. He also grew fruit on a small acreage and hired out equipment to other fruit growers in the area.
Alexander Strachan of Carmylie received the lands of Brigton, in the parish of Kinnettles, Forfarshire, from Robert III. In the first quarter of the seventeenth century the Lyon family of Glamis bought Brigton from the Strachans. The barony was acquired by the Douglas family, who were related to the Earls of Angus, in the first half of the eighteenth century. William Douglas, the first of Brigton was succeeded by his son Robert who died by 1752 and was succeeded by his son William.
Alexander J H Russell was born in 1882, the son of Walter Nicoll Russell of Dunfermline. He was educated at Dollar Academy, then at the universities of St Andrews, Cambridge and Liverpool. In 1910 he married Jessie Waddell. Russell became Professor of Hygiene and Bacteriology at Madras Medical College between 1912 and 1917, and Professor of Pathology between 1919 and 1921. From 1913 to 1914 he was Medical Officer of Health for Madras City, then Director of Public Health in 1922. Between 1933 and 1939 he was the Public Health Commissioner with the Government of India. In 1939 Russell retired, but he continued to play a role in public health, and between 1940 and 1945 he was Additional Deputy Chief Medical Officer for the Department of Health for Scotland. He died in 1958.
A bookselling, printing, and stationery business was set up in High Street by Thomas Donaldson in 1791, the first such shop in Dundee. Donaldson died in 1827, and in 1830 Frederick Shaw, a former apprentice, purchased the business from Thomas Donaldson's widow. In 1850 William Kidd was taken on as an apprentice, and in 1858 the shop moved to Reform Street. Kidd continued to work there until 1871, when he set up his own shop in Union Street. On his retirement in 1875, Frederick Shaw sold his business, to Kidd, who closed both shops, opening a new one in Nethergate. When, in 1883, Whitehall Street was built, William Kidd erected 'Palace Buildings' there, in which, in 1885, he opened a large new shop with warehouses and workshop.
William Duncan was an iron-moulder by trade and served his apprenticeship in the Albion Foundry. He was an investigator with Dundee Distress committee for four years before holding a similar position with Dundee Parish Council for three months in 1921. After leaving the Parish Council he returned to his trade as a moulder in the Blackness foundry. His field note book for his months at Dundee Parish Council was transcribed by William M Duncan.
The Dundee Institute of Architecture, Science and Art was established in 1884 on the proposal of Charles Ower, a specialist in domestic architecture. He suggested that a local organisation be formed along the lines of London's Architectural Association, "to afford facilities for the study of architecture, the applied sciences and the fine arts by means of papers and discussions; sectional meetings, classes for study; prizes; visits to public works and buildings or excursions for sketching; and such other means as the council may determine". In 1891 the Institute became the second architectural society in Scotland to enter into an alliance with the Royal Institute of British Architects, giving recognition to Dundee as the centre for architectural education north of the River Tay. At the instigation and with the support of The Institute, pupilage was initially supplemented by evening classes and by the 1920s, a School of Architecture was established. This was at the local Technical Institute before being moved to the new art college. In the 1930s, the Architect's Institute was involved in discussions concerning the proposed Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. Once the College was established, the Institute provided a representative on the Board of Governors and also provided teaching staff. The period after 1945 has been marked by the Institute's continued interest in architectural education, providing a liaison between local architectural practices and the School of Architecture at the Duncan of Jordanstone College, University of Dundee.
Badenach Nicolson (1832-1899) was the Secretary to Lord Advocate 1866-68 and 1874-80.
The Polish Armed Forces Project was set up by Dr Petr Lesniewski, honorary research fellow at the University of Dundee. The object of the project is to collect oral history, memoirs, testimonials, recollections, documents and any other related material recording the presence of the 200,000 plus Polish soldiers, sailors and airmen who arrived in Scotland between 1940 and 1947. During the Second World War, Polish servicemen were interned in Hungary and Romania, held in forced labour camps in Russia, or forcibly conscripted into the German Army. Many thousands of them escaped to join the Allied war effort and were sent to Scotland for retraining at the Polish Independent Parachute Brigade, stationed in and around Leven and Largo in Fife, and the Polish First Armoured Division in Perth and towns and villages throughout Angus. At the end of the war many of the Polish soldiers trained in Fife who returned to their homeland became secret agents with the underground Home Army and lost their lives, whilst others vanished in Stalin's camps. As a result, thousands of the Polish servicemen stationed in Scotland chose to remain and were assimilated into Scottish society.
L.P. Michie was a chemist in Dundee that was active from at least 1907-1920.
John James Dalyell, son of James Dalyell and Marie Ann Dalyell, was born in France c.1835. He was brought up in Scotland, mainly at Carnoustie. He became a commission merchant and agent of the Royal Insurance Co, Dundee, specialising in setting rates for the transportation of jute products as well as dealing with industrial and domestic property insurance. Dalyell was an active member of a number of local organisations and clubs. He was instrumental in establishing the 3rd Forfarshire Artillery Volunteers, in which he served as Lieutenant and later Captain of B. Battery, and took a prominent role in the administrative business of the corps. Dalyell was a keen sportsman, being a member of the Angus and Mearns Rifle Association, Dundee Cricket Club, and the Caledonian Union, Dalhousie, and Monifieth Golf Clubs. He was Captain and later Honorary Secretary of the Caledonian Union Golf Club, Carnoustie, for whom he was an enthusiastic advocate and promoter. Dalyell tried his hand at authorship, and a number of his stories survive mainly in draft copy. They are generally humorous accounts of sporting excursions. In the early months of 1872 Dalyell contracted what became a serious illness, being chiefly afflicted with severe head pains. In its initial stages the malady resulted in several months spent travelling, but it soon became serious enough for Dalyell to give up his work with, first, the Royal Insurance Co, and then with William Shiels & Co, wine merchants of Leith, whom he had joined in late 1872. By summer 1873 Dalyell was forced to sever all his social and sporting ties with the area. He was admitted into the Royal Lunatic Asylum, Montrose, at about this time, and it appears that he was detained there, possibly until his death, which occurred some time after 1897.
Results 151 to 175 of 2400