Showing 2478 results

Names

Bannatyne Home of Rest, Newtyle

Bannatyne House in Newtyle was bought by Alexander H Moncur, ex-Lord Provost of Dundee, in 1887. He enlarged the building to make it into Bannatyne Home of Rest, a holiday home for women who worked in the Dundee jute mills. The Home was officially gifted and endowed in 1892, and provided accommodation for up to 50 people. By 1961, the Home was in financial difficulties and was forced to close. The house was sold to Colonel James Bannatyne in 1962.

Baxter Brothers & Co Ltd

In 1818 William Baxter leased a flax spinning mill at Glamis and in 1822, in partnership with his eldest son Edward, built his first mill on the Dens Burn in Dundee. In 1825, when Edward left the company, two younger sons were assumed as partners and the firm's name was changed from William Baxter and Son to Baxter Brothers and Co. In 1853, a new partnership agreement was drawn up which included Peter Carmichael, an engineer and manager of Upper Dens Mill. In 1856 William Ogilvie Dalgleish, who married a granddaughter of William Baxter, was admitted as a partner and new partnership agreements were also drawn up in 1873 and in 1879. The firm was incorporated as a private limited company in 1892 when a majority holding was acquired in Boase and Co Ltd, bleachers Claverhouse. In 1921 Boase and Co. Ltd, became a wholly owned subsidiary and in 1929 Baxter's acquired Richard Hayward & Sons (1929) Ltd. In the meantime Baxter Brothers and Co Ltd, had become part of the Low & Bonar group established in 1924. The firm continued to trade as a manufacturing unit within the Low and Bonar group until 1978.

Baxter family

Sir George Washington Baxter (1853-1926) was the second son of William Edward Baxter (1825-1890), Liberal MP for Montrose Burghs from 1855 until 1885. W. E. Baxter was the nephew of the textile baron Sir David Baxter, and of Mary Ann Baxter, the founder of University College, Dundee. Sir George was a key figure in the family textile firm, Baxter Brothers, as well as being a prominent Liberal Unionist and President of University College. He married Edith Fagan, who was also a notable Unionist politician in the years after the Great War. On his death the bulk of his estate passed to his nephew, Colonel George Lewis Baxter DSO (1883-1962), second son of his older brother Edward Armitstead Baxter and Isobel Scott-Elliot. In December 1933 George L. Baxter married Mrs Jeanette Elizabeth Edith Grizel Don (b. 1894) - known as Grizel - the second daughter of Brigadier General William Douglas of Brigton, who had been divorced from her husband Captain William Gilbert Don a few days earlier. Their only child, a daughter, was killed in a riding accident in 1948 at the age of 12. Major Hebert Home Baxter (1885-1932) was the younger brother of George Lewis Baxter. Their cousin was Captain Walter Travers Scott-Elliot, Labour MP for Accrington 1945-1950, who was murdered in 1977 by his butler, the serial killer Archibald Hall.

Baxter family of Invereighty

  • Family
  • fl 1917-1948
The mother of the mother in law of the depositor was married to George W Baxter, who was this lady's second husband. The late husband of the depositor was descended from the latter's first husband (ie this lady was his step grandmother, his grandfather's second wife).

Baxter Park Trustees

Baxter Park was donated to the community by Sir David Baxter of Kilmaron (1793-1872) and his sisters Eleanor and Mary Anne (1800-1884). The layout of the park's 37 acres was designed by Sir Joseph Paxton and included grassy areas, terraced walks and shrubberies which offered 'a most agreeable summer promenade affording beautiful recreation and pure air to all classes.' In the pavilion at the centre of the park, a marble statue of Sir David was erected, paid for by public subscription. On 9 September 1863 Baxter Park was opened by John Russsell, 1st Earl Russell (a former and future Prime Minister) in front of a crowd of over 70,000 people. Originally estimated to have cost £50,000, Baxter Park was placed under the charge of Trustees. In 1908, because the Trust Investments were no longer enough to maintain the park, the Trustees handed over responsibility to the Town Council.
Results 151 to 175 of 2478