Showing 2403 resultsNames
Michael Shafe was born in 1936 in Bromley, Kent. He graduated B.Sc.(Econ.) from the London School of Economics in 1957 then, from 1962 to 1963, he studied for the A.L.A. at the Northwestern Polytechnic (London), School of Librarianship. Shafe was appointed an administration assistant in the Education and Production Department at the National Coal Board in 1957. He was Senior Library Assistant at The London Library from 1959 to 1963. From 1963 to 1971 he was at the University of York as Assistant and then Sub-Librarian also spending a year on exchange at the University of Wisconsin. Shafe was appointed Deputy Librarian at the University of Dundee in 1971 where he stayed until retiring in 1995. During his career he played an active part in University life, serving on many committees, and while at Dundee was responsible for several exhibitions and publications on the history of University education in Dundee. He was also an active member of the Dundee Civic Trust, the Scottish Georgian Society, the Broughty Ferry Public Library Action Committee, the Broughty Ferry Education and Recreation Association and the Dundee Branch of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society.
Robert Percival Cook, M.B., B.Chir., Ph.D. (Cambridge), B.Sc. (Melbourne), F.R.S.E., was born in Melbourne, Australia, on 14 April 1906. He was educated at Trinity Grammar School, Kew, Melbourne and Scotch College, Melbourne, before attending the University of Melbourne between 1922 and 1925, graduating with a B.Sc. In April 1926 he entered the Department of Pharmacology, University of London, to work with Professor Alfred Joseph Clark. In October of that year he went to Caius College, Cambridge where worked in the Biochemical Laboratory with Professor Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins. He then spent some time at L'Institut Pasteur, in Paris, where he met his wife, Matilda. He then returned to Cambridge and, in 1930, received his Ph.D. The years from June 1932 to August 1935 were spent in industry, working on citric acid. In October 1935, he returned once more to Cambridge and 1938 began studying medicine. In 1940 Cook took up his first post as Lecturer in Biochemistry at what was then University College, Dundee (from 1954 Queen's College, Dundee and from 1967 the University of Dundee) in the then Department of Physiology under Profosser Robert Campbell Garry. At this point Cook was the sole biochemist in the department. The department was soon after renamed, on Cook's suggestion and with Garry's consent, the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry. An honours degree course in biochemistry was started in session 1946-1947. During this time, he received his D.Sc. (1942) and M.B., B.Chir. (1944). Over the next 30 years he would become a well-known member of the academic community in Dundee. His wartime research concerned nutritional values of foods in local institutions, and later he became an international authority on cholesterol, editing a definitive book and pursuing widely-quoted research, much of which he carried out on himself. He was rumoured to have consumed 12-egg omelettes, prepared by his wife, in order to measure blood and excretory values. In 1958 'Cholesterol: Chemistry, Biochemistry and Pathology', which he both edited and contributed chapters to, was published and was quickly recognised as a key work on the subject. Cook's work ultimately paved the way for Dundee to become a major centre for life sciences teaching and research. In March 1966, largely thanks to Cook's endeavours over many years and with the strong support of Professor George Howard Bell (who had succeeded Garry in 1947), full departmental status was given to Biochemistry with Cook appointed as head of the much expanded department. He also played a key role in the development of the new Biological Sciences Institute which would house the new department and provide excellent facilities for it. Cook's efforts also led to the founding of a Chair in Biochemistry, but he refused to be considered for this post as he felt a younger outside candidate was needed, and ultimately Peter Garland was appointed to the Chair in 1970. Nevertheless in January 1972, Cook was elected to a personal Chair in Biochemistry. In 1973 he became Emeritus Professor following his retirement on health grounds. In 1974, along with his wife, he produced and published an anotated English translation of Claude Bernard's 'Phenomena of Life Common to Animals and Vegetables'. Away from academia, Cook retained a strong interest in Australia and was also also a keen collector of stamps and other materials relating to postal history. He also had a strong interest in, and knowledge of, art. He died in Dundee on 26 August 1989 and was survived by his wife, who died in 1998, and children. Writing of him in Contact, the University's internal magazine, in October 1989, his colleague Geoffrey Dutton wrote "He served this University very well indeed. We remember him with gratitude."
After National Service as an RAF Photographer and several years with ICI, Stan came to the University in 1963 to initiate the then Library Photographic Service. He took up a part-time appointment with the transfer of the Unit to the Central Media Service in 1984 and dedicated his time to the Peto collection, bringing attention to an often-overlooked collection. He retired at the end of September 1990, after 27 years with the University.
Enid Gauldie, née MacNeilage, was educated at University College Dundee, graduating with an MA in 1947. She then worked for the University Library in St Andrews and for the reference section of Dundee Public Library, before leaving to have children. During this time she occasionally worked part time in the University Library in Dundee. In 1967 Gauldie was awarded a BPhil and went on to become a research assistant in the University's History Department. She remained there until 1970 when she left to have another child. Gauldie has published several books and articles and, in her retirement, opened an antique bookshop in Glendoick, Perthshire.
Robert Cochrane Buist was born in Dundee and studied at the Universities of St. Andrews, Cambridge and Edinburgh, at each of which he had a distinguished academic career. After serving as assistant physician at the Royal Edinburgh Asylum, Dr Buist was appointed lecturer in Clinical Midwifery and Gynaecology at University College, Dundee, in 1901, a post he held until his retirement in 1925. He was secretary of the Dundee Branch of the British Medical Association from 1894. Buist died 5 February 1939
Professor Bell was Symers Professor of Physiology in the University of Dundee (formerly University College and Queen's College, Dundee), 1947-1975. He was a keen photographer and took photographs within the University and its surrounding area and during his travels around Britain and abroad, the latter particularly on the work of the Inter-University Council.
Professor Steggall was born in London in 1855, the son of Dr J W B Steggall, a physician, originally from East Anglia. He was educated at the City of London School and Trinity College, Cambridge, graduating second Wrangler in 1878. He subsequently taught at Clifton College (1878-9) and Owens College, Manchester (1880-1883) before being appointed to the Chair of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at the newly founded University College, Dundee. He became Professor of Pure and Applied Mathematics in 1895. On his retirement in 1933 he received an honorary degree from the University of St Andrews. As well as being a brilliant mathematician, Steggall was keenly interested in music, art, architecture, and photography. He married Isabella Katherine Frazer, the sister of Sir James G Frazer, in 1878, with whom he had two daughters and a son, a Royal Naval officer who was killed at the Battle of Jutland in 1916.
Professor Adam Patrick was born on the 29 June 1883 and was educated at Greenock Academy and then at the University of Glasgow where he graduated with an MA in 1904 and MB, ChB with Honours in 1908. In 1913 he graduated MD from Glasgow again with Honours and was awarded the Bellahouston Gold Medal for his MD thesis. After completing house posts at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow, the Glasgow Western Infirmary and Ruchill Infectious Diseases Hospital, he was appointed extra honorary dispensing physician at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and assistant to the professor of the practice of medicine in the University of Glasgow. During the first world war he served with the RAMC in the Mediterranean area and on his return to Glasgow in 1919 was elected Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1923 he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of St. Andrews, based at the medical school in Dundee, and during his professorship he was also visiting physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary and other local hospitals. He also operated a private practice as a consulting physician from his home in Windsor Street, Dundee. His practice mainly covered Angus, Perthshire and Fife, but he also had patients from outwith the area. He was elected FRCP in 1931 and FRCP Ed, in 1942. The Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the University of Glasgow was conferred on him in 1948 and that of the University of St. Andrews in 1952. He died on 19 September 1970. Professor Patrick took a deep interest in student life in the University and did much to establish the William Low Residence. In the Eastern Region of Scotland he inaugurated a Consultant Service in Medicine with regular visits to the district hospitals. He retired from the chair in 1950 and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine.
David Dick was born in Glasgow and attended Glasgow University before going to Balliol College, Oxford as a research student. In the late 1950s Dick was appointed Carlsberg Wellcome Research Fellow at the Carlsberg Laboratory in Copenhagen before returning to Oxford. In 1966 he took the post of Visiting Professor of Psychology at Duke University in the United States then, in 1968, was appointed Cox Professor of Anatomy at Dundee University. He was responsible for building up a distinguished Anatomy Department in the University's Medical Sciences Institute and was well respected both as a researcher and teacher. Illness forced him to take partial retirement in 1988 and he retired fully in 1991. Dick was a keen church goer and also took an active interest in politics, becoming honorary vice-president of the local branch of the Liberal Democratic Party. He also stood as a candidate in local district council elections. His other interests included writing and he published a collection of poems entitled 'Physics of the Heart' inspired by his struggle against heart disease. David Dick died in 1992 aged 65 and was survived by his wife Elizabeth and their children.
A. D. Walsh, or Donald Walsh as he was known, was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, in 1916. Educated at Cambridge he took a PhD in physical chemistry in 1941 and became an ICI fellow. In 1955, after six years as a lecturer and reader in physical chemistry at Leeds University, Walsh took over the chair of chemistry at Queen's College, Dundee. He was well respected for his work on molecular spectroscopy and combustion and his contribution to chemistry was recognised with his election to the Royal Society in 1964. During his time in Dundee he oversaw the expansion of the Chemistry Department and was made Dean of the Faculty of Science when the new University was created in 1967. As his international standing grew Walsh was frequently asked to lecture abroad. Forced to retire in 1976 through ill health, he died in 1977 at the age of sixty.
David Rutherford Dow was a native of Crail, Fife. He was educated in Crail and at Waid Academy in Anstruther before attending St Andrews University, graduating MB ChB with distinction in 1911. He obtained a DPH in 1912 and in 1924 his MD thesis on arteriosclerosis was awarded commendation. He was admitted FRCPE and FRSE in 1932. After graduating, he acted as house surgeon in Dundee Royal Infirmary before moving to Great Ormond Street Hospital London. In 1913, Dow was appointed assistant lecturer in anatomy at United College, St Andrews and continued there until 1925 when he was appointed to the Cox Chair of Anatomy at University College Dundee. During the Second World War, he was also in charge of the anatomy department at United College at St Andrews. He was appointed Master of Queens College in 1954 and held this post while continuing with his teaching duties until 1958 when he retired. He was awarded the degree of LLD of St Andrews, honoris causa, in 1959. Professor Dow died in December 1979. Dr Agnes Dow (nee Morton), wife of DR Dow, also taught at University College. The Memorial Trust was set up after her death in 1998 and administered by Thorntons Solicitors. The Trust provides scholarships, student support, teaching facilities and other funding to medecine and dentistry. There is also a Dow Memorial Lecture which honours both husband and wife.
Christopher J. Talbot was born in Lowestoft in 1940. Educated at Westminster City Grammar School, London, he later attended Imperial College, London from where he graduated BSc in 1963. He was an Oppenheimer Scholar at the Research Institute of African Geology, University of Leeds between 1963-1967 from where he obtained his PhD in 1967. After two years as a Research Associate at the School of Mining, Sheffield University he joined the Geology Department at Dundee University as an assistant lecturer. From 1983 he was Professor of Tectonics and Geodynamics at Uppsala University, Sweden concentrating on teaching and research into rock deformation. Talbot has conducted extensive research overseas and has published widely. He was still at Uppsala University in 2003.
Iain Adamson was educated at Morgan Academy, Dundee and at St Andrews University where he studied mathematics. He lectured in mathematics at the University of Belfast, returning to Dundee in 1960 where he was appointed as a lecturer in mathematics in Queen's College. He undertook visiting lectureships to the University of Western Australia in the 1966, 1972 and 1978. Adamson was employed by the University of Dundee as a senior lecturer from c 1978. He retired from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in 1993 and published a number of books. He died in 2010.
Henry Jack was born near Dundee in 1917 and went to the High School in Dundee. He entered Edinburgh University as a student in 1936 and graduated with a First Class Honours MA in Mathematics and Natural Philosophy in 1940. He gained an award at Christ's College, Cambridge in December 1940, but shortly afterwards was called up for meteorological work in the Royal Air Force. He returned to Cambridge in 1946, gained the Mathematical Tripos in 1949, and continued his studies there for a further year. In 1950 he was appointed to a lectureship in the Department of Mathematics at University College Dundee, to a Senior Lectureship in 1964 and to a Readership at the University of Dundee in 1970. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1970 and died in January 1978.
William Morton Mackay was appointed to University College in 1923 as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and retired as Senior Lecturer in 1962. He died on 12 November 1971.
Professor William John Tulloch was born in Dundee in 1887 and graduated MB ChB from St Andrews University in 1909. In 1914 he became the first lecturer in Bacteriology at Dundee and was promoted to the new chair at University College, Dundee, in 1921. He retired in 1962.
Professor Alexander David Peacock, Professor of Natural History at University College, Dundee, 1926-1956, was educated at Newcastle Royal Grammar School and Armstrong College, Newcastle (at that time part of the University of Durham) where he gained his BSc. in 1904. He first taught at a Jarrow school and then returned to Armstrong College as a student demonstrator in Zoology. After a short period as entomologist to the Nigerian Agriculture Department, he returned to Armstrong College as a lecturer in 1913. During the First World War, after serving at the front with the Royal Army Medical Corps he was recalled to headquarters to lecture on insects of military importance and he carried out research on trench fever. In 1919 he again returned to lecture at Armstrong College, and in 1926 he was appointed to the Chair of Natural History in University College, Dundee in succession to James Fairlie Gemmill. Peacock's work on the causes of trench fever led to the award of DSc. in 1927. The merit of his scientific work, especially in the field of parthenogenesis and cell-structures, was well acknowledged. He was for a time president of the zoology section of the British Association for the Advancement of Science and was awarded the Keith Medal of the Royal Society of Edinburgh for a paper in the Society's "Proceedings" and for his contributions in the fields of entomology and cytology. His early investigations in applied biology found fruit in the Second World War when, by his work in the establishment of a pest-control service in Scotland he materially safeguarded the nation's food supplies. Amongst his other duties and interests during his career in Dundee was his concern for adult education, and he was a prominent member of the local Education Committee and the Workers' Education Association. He also took an interest in the Polish community in Dundee, and was president of the Polish Society in the city during the Second World War. After the War he persuaded the War Office to donate a nissen hut which was used to establish the University field station at Braedownie, Glen Clova. A. D. Peacock was the father of Sir Alan Turner Peacock (1922-2014) , a noted economist and government advisor who held a number of academic posts, including serving as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Buckingham.
Arthur Alexander Matheson was Emeritus Professor of Scots Law in the University of Dundee. He graduated MA with first-class honours in Classics, and LLB, with distinction, from the University of Edinburgh and became a Classical Exhibitioner at Balliol. He passed advocate in 1944. In 1949, at the age of 29, he was appointed to the newly instituted Chair of Scots Law in University College, Dundee and was the first Dean of the Faculty of Law, created in 1955. From 1958 until 1966 he was Master of Queen's College, Dundee during which time the ground was prepared for the foundation of the University of Dundee in 1967. He retired due to ill health in 1980 and died just before Christmas in 1981.
Angus MacGillivray, FRSE FSA Scot., was born in 1865 in Abriachan, Invernesshshire. He was educated at Fordyce Academy, and Aberdeen University Between 1889 and 1935 he held varous academic and medical apointments, notably as Lecturer in Ophthalmology at University College, Dundee and founder and surgeon of the Department of Ophthalmology, Dundee Royal Infirmary. MacGillivray died at his home in Crail in 1947
William Norrie Everitt held the Baxter Chair of Mathematics from 1962
Donald Gordon was a tutor in surveying in the Department of Civil Engineering.
Professor Archibald Duncan Campbell, Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Dundee, was a graduate from the University of Glasgow in 1945 and lectured there from 1945 to 1955. He was appointed as the first incumbent of the Bonar Chair of Applied Economics at Queen's College, Dundee, in 1955 and also became the first Dean of the first Faculty of Social Sciences in a Scottish University. In addition to his academic duties Professor Campbell fulfilled many national functions as a member of a variety of public bodies and investigative committees. This work included his membership of the Fleck Committee on the Fishing Industry in 1959 to 1960 and the Scottish Economic Council 1967-1970. He was also a member of various arbitration bodies of enquiry in labour matters. In recognition of this service he was awarded the CBE in 1972. In 1974 he gave up his Chair and became a full-time Chief Executive with Sidlaw Industries Ltd, the Dundee based textile manufacturers.
Emeritus Professor James Adams was born in Stirling in 1909 and was educated at the University of St Andrews and Oxford. He served in the RAF during the Second World War and was appointed inspector of schools thereafter. From 1950 he was lecturer in Humanities at the University of Aberdeen until 1954, when he was appointed to the Bell Chair of Education at University College Dundee. Professor Adams retired in 1980 and died in May 1983.
John David Bathgate MacDougall was born in 1918 and educated at Perth Academy and University College, Dundee, graduating from St. Andrews University with an MB, ChB with commendation in 1942. He joined the staff of St Salvator's College in 1943 and transferred to University College, Dundee, in 1946. His major research interest was tissue culture, and it is possible that his findings relating to the toxicity level of silicone rubbers was partly responsible for silicone rubber's subsequent adoption in surgical practice and by the National Blood Transfusion Service. He died in 1967.
Edith Philip Smith, B.A., Ph.D., F.L.S., D.Sc., F.R.S.E., was Lecturer in Botany at University College and Queen's College, Dundee, between 1926 and 1960. From 1955 to 1960 she was head of department and for a time she was an instructor in genetics.
Results 126 to 150 of 2403