Showing 2421 resultsNames
A. D. Foote was born in Toxteth in 1931. He was educated in Manchester from 1938 and at Balliol College, Oxford, from 1949 where he read Classics and English. Foote suffered from schizophrenia from the age of 26. After he recovered from an illness he spent some years as Warden of the International Voluntary Service Centre in London. To get a quieter job he worked at the National Central Library in Malet Place till 1965. In 1969 he moved to Dundee where his family stayed; he had to spend the first 5 years in hospital. There, he edited a quarterly magazine for the patients which ran up to 22 issues. A. D. Foote has been writing poetry and short stories as a vocation, and from 1985 earning income as a translator. He speaks Finnish, Polish, Hungarian, Cornish, Arabic, Ido and Interlingua.
A. D. Walsh, or Donald Walsh as he was known, was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, in 1916. Educated at Cambridge he took a PhD in physical chemistry in 1941 and became an ICI fellow. In 1955, after six years as a lecturer and reader in physical chemistry at Leeds University, Walsh took over the chair of chemistry at Queen's College, Dundee. He was well respected for his work on molecular spectroscopy and combustion and his contribution to chemistry was recognised with his election to the Royal Society in 1964. During his time in Dundee he oversaw the expansion of the Chemistry Department and was made Dean of the Faculty of Science when the new University was created in 1967. As his international standing grew Walsh was frequently asked to lecture abroad. Forced to retire in 1976 through ill health, he died in 1977 at the age of sixty.
Ashwell and Nesbit Ltd. was an engineering firm based in London and Leicester. They specialised in heating and ventilation systems, which they installed in various kinds of buildings all around the UK. The were active from c1901 until closure in 1968
The Association was founded in 1918 and its origins lay in the weekly informal meetings of producers in the Chamber of Commerce. Discussions at these meetings may have been on any or every aspect of the trade from the price of goods to wages paid, types of machinery and new developments. The Association was initially founded as a cartel to protect the prices of members' products. However, the founders rapidly saw the potential of a large and strong employers' organisation. Committees were set up to investigate every aspect of the trade and manufacturing process and the Association rapidly became the representative of all members in negotiating with employees - organised unions or otherwise. This also had an advantage for the unions in that no matter which firm employed their disputing members, they negotiated with the Association and any agreement was binding on all member firms and union members. The prinicple was that not only did the Association allow firms to avoid damaging price-cutting competition, but by joint representative negotiation with employees it helped avoid strikes over parity in wages. In many ways the Association's industrial relations were ahead of their time. Indeed the Dundee jute industry led the field in the use of work-study projects with the co-operation of the unions. This led to the introduction of a points system for grading jobs, and payment for them, on a scale according to difficulty and time required to perform each specific function. Consequently when the Equal Pay Act was introduced the Association's member firms had little problem in adjusting, as their pay scales were based on the difficulty factor of each operation, and they were among the first to convert to equal pay. The Association set the prices for jute goods until challenged by the monopolies commission under the Restrictive Trade Practices Act. Although the Association eventually won their case, fighting it was financially ruinous and they abandoned price setting. From an early membership of fifty-six spinners and manufacturers in Dundee and Tayport alone, by 1982 there were only four spinners and four manufacturers of jute in the entire UK.
Badenach Nicolson (1832-1899) was the Secretary to Lord Advocate 1866-68 and 1874-80.
Bannatyne House in Newtyle was bought by Alexander H Moncur, ex-Lord Provost of Dundee, in 1887. He enlarged the building to make it into Bannatyne Home of Rest, a holiday home for women who worked in the Dundee jute mills. The Home was officially gifted and endowed in 1892, and provided accommodation for up to 50 people. By 1961, the Home was in financial difficulties and was forced to close. The house was sold to Colonel James Bannatyne in 1962.
Results 126 to 150 of 2421