Showing 2412 resultsNames
Major General Neil Douglas Wimberley, CB, DSO, MC was the former Commanding Officer of the 51st Highland Division and Commandant of the Army Staff College, Camberley and was appointed Principal of University College Dundee on 1 October 1946. Wimberley was educated at Cambridge before entering Sandhurst. Staff at University College Dundee had experienced strained relations with those of St Andrews in the few years up to 1946 and the appointment of Wimberley served to boost morale. Despite initially enjoying good relations with Principal Irvine of St Andrews, within a year Wimberley was aware that the position UCD held and the regard in which it was held by Principal Irvine. Wimberley began to examine ways in which UCD could exist and at the same time develop within the St Andrews University framework. Whilst Wimberley was in favour of strengthening the financial and position of UCD he did not support any moves for separation of UCD from St Andrews. During Wimberley's tenure, a number of very capable academics joined the staff at Dundee and made concerted efforts to develop the courses and with support from the University College Council, develop the physical structures of campus. The period of examination of the roles of each constituent part of St Andrews University resulted in the Cooper and Tedder reports, both of which involved large scale reorganisation. Queen's College was established in 1954 as a direct result of the findings of a Royal Commission. This reported in April 1952 that the incorporation of University College, Dundee in the University of St Andrews could not continue as it was and made recommendations regarding the restructuring of the two institutions. Wimberley was not considered for the post of Master of Queens College and retired in 1954.
Professor Archibald Duncan Campbell, Professor of Applied Economics at the University of Dundee, was a graduate from the University of Glasgow in 1945 and lectured there from 1945 to 1955. He was appointed as the first incumbent of the Bonar Chair of Applied Economics at Queen's College, Dundee, in 1955 and also became the first Dean of the first Faculty of Social Sciences in a Scottish University. In addition to his academic duties Professor Campbell fulfilled many national functions as a member of a variety of public bodies and investigative committees. This work included his membership of the Fleck Committee on the Fishing Industry in 1959 to 1960 and the Scottish Economic Council 1967-1970. He was also a member of various arbitration bodies of enquiry in labour matters. In recognition of this service he was awarded the CBE in 1972. In 1974 he gave up his Chair and became a full-time Chief Executive with Sidlaw Industries Ltd, the Dundee based textile manufacturers.
Angus MacGillivray, FRSE FSA Scot., was born in 1865 in Abriachan, Invernesshshire. He was educated at Fordyce Academy, and Aberdeen University Between 1889 and 1935 he held varous academic and medical apointments, notably as Lecturer in Ophthalmology at University College, Dundee and founder and surgeon of the Department of Ophthalmology, Dundee Royal Infirmary. MacGillivray died at his home in Crail in 1947
Arthur Alexander Matheson was Emeritus Professor of Scots Law in the University of Dundee. He graduated MA with first-class honours in Classics, and LLB, with distinction, from the University of Edinburgh and became a Classical Exhibitioner at Balliol. He passed advocate in 1944. In 1949, at the age of 29, he was appointed to the newly instituted Chair of Scots Law in University College, Dundee and was the first Dean of the Faculty of Law, created in 1955. From 1958 until 1966 he was Master of Queen's College, Dundee during which time the ground was prepared for the foundation of the University of Dundee in 1967. He retired due to ill health in 1980 and died just before Christmas in 1981.
William Morton Mackay was appointed to University College in 1923 as lecturer in the Department of Electrical Engineering and retired as Senior Lecturer in 1962. He died on 12 November 1971.
Iain Adamson was educated at Morgan Academy, Dundee and at St Andrews University where he studied mathematics. He lectured in mathematics at the University of Belfast, returning to Dundee in 1960 where he was appointed as a lecturer in mathematics in Queen's College. He undertook visiting lectureships to the University of Western Australia in the 1966, 1972 and 1978. Adamson was employed by the University of Dundee as a senior lecturer from c 1978. He retired from the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science in 1993 and published a number of books. He died in 2010.
A. D. Walsh, or Donald Walsh as he was known, was born in Loughborough, Leicestershire, in 1916. Educated at Cambridge he took a PhD in physical chemistry in 1941 and became an ICI fellow. In 1955, after six years as a lecturer and reader in physical chemistry at Leeds University, Walsh took over the chair of chemistry at Queen's College, Dundee. He was well respected for his work on molecular spectroscopy and combustion and his contribution to chemistry was recognised with his election to the Royal Society in 1964. During his time in Dundee he oversaw the expansion of the Chemistry Department and was made Dean of the Faculty of Science when the new University was created in 1967. As his international standing grew Walsh was frequently asked to lecture abroad. Forced to retire in 1976 through ill health, he died in 1977 at the age of sixty.
Professor Adam Patrick was born on the 29 June 1883 and was educated at Greenock Academy and then at the University of Glasgow where he graduated with an MA in 1904 and MB, ChB with Honours in 1908. In 1913 he graduated MD from Glasgow again with Honours and was awarded the Bellahouston Gold Medal for his MD thesis. After completing house posts at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary, the Royal Maternity and Women's Hospital, Glasgow, the Glasgow Western Infirmary and Ruchill Infectious Diseases Hospital, he was appointed extra honorary dispensing physician at the Royal Hospital for Sick Children and assistant to the professor of the practice of medicine in the University of Glasgow. During the first world war he served with the RAMC in the Mediterranean area and on his return to Glasgow in 1919 was elected Fellow of the Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow. In 1923 he was appointed Professor of Medicine at the University of St. Andrews, based at the medical school in Dundee, and during his professorship he was also visiting physician to Dundee Royal Infirmary and other local hospitals. He also operated a private practice as a consulting physician from his home in Windsor Street, Dundee. His practice mainly covered Angus, Perthshire and Fife, but he also had patients from outwith the area. He was elected FRCP in 1931 and FRCP Ed, in 1942. The Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the University of Glasgow was conferred on him in 1948 and that of the University of St. Andrews in 1952. He died on 19 September 1970. Professor Patrick took a deep interest in student life in the University and did much to establish the William Low Residence. In the Eastern Region of Scotland he inaugurated a Consultant Service in Medicine with regular visits to the district hospitals. He retired from the chair in 1950 and was appointed Emeritus Professor of Medicine.
Enid Gauldie, née MacNeilage, was educated at University College Dundee, graduating with an MA in 1947. She then worked for the University Library in St Andrews and for the reference section of Dundee Public Library, before leaving to have children. During this time she occasionally worked part time in the University Library in Dundee. In 1967 Gauldie was awarded a BPhil and went on to become a research assistant in the University's History Department. She remained there until 1970 when she left to have another child. Gauldie has published several books and articles and, in her retirement, opened an antique bookshop in Glendoick, Perthshire.
Andrew McLaren Carstairs was born in India, the son of a missionary, and was educated at George Watson's College and St Andrews University from where he graduated with a first in History and Economics. During the Second World War he worked with British military intelligence, then in 1948 was appointed to a lectureship in Political Economy at St Andrews University. From 1951 until 1965 he lectured in Economic History and then moved to what was then Queen's College Dundee where he was to become Senior Lecturer in Economic History. His research interests included not only economic history but also electoral systems and constitutions. Carstairs was interested in all aspects of University life. He was a sought after chairman for numerous committees and a strong supporter of the rugby club. He retired in 1979 and died in 1990 after a short illness.
A native of Dundee, Robert Smith graduated BSc from Dundee University College in 1896 and in the same year was appointed to the botanical department of the college under Professor Patrick Geddes. During the winter session of 1896-1897 he studied at the University of Montpellier, under Professor Flahault, one of the leading European authorities on plant distribution at the time, and it was upon returning to Scotland after this study that he began to carry out his scheme for a botanical survey of this country, based upon the new continental methods he had learned. After Smith's premature death in August 1900, his brother William G Smith carried on his work and two further Botanical Survey of Scotland maps were published in 1905, Robert Smith being posthumously credited with collaboration in these efforts.
Professor G. P. Henderson was a lecturer in the department of Philosophy at the University of Dundee and the editor of the publication 'The Philisophical Quarterly'.
Dr Alec MacQueen, M.B., Ch.B., M.R.C.P.E., was born May 29, 1920, in Alexandria, Egypt. He was educated in Palestine and Fort Augustus Abbey School. In 1950 he joined the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry at Queens College, Dundee where he remained for the rest of his academic career. His research interest at first centred on diabetics but he soon became interested in problems of medical ethics such as euthanasia, organ transplants and abortion. His enthusiasm for debate led to the formation of a philosophy and science club centred on Dundee. MacQueen's methods of teaching anticipated later medical trends, in particular his use of clinical problems to demonstrate anatomy and his emphasis on students working independently with audio-visual aids. Alec MacQueen died in 1996.
Professor Aylwin Drakeford Hitchin held the Boyd Chair of Dental Surgery at the University of Dundee from 1947-1977, and was Dean of the Dundee Dental Hospital and school for most of that time. Professor Hitchin had an international reputation for his work on the pathogenesis of dental abnormalities and received a number of professional accolades, including being awarded a CBE in 1970. Professor Hitchin died on October 1st, 1996.
Sir Ian George Wilson Hill (1904-1982) was Professor of Medicine at University of Dundee, 1950-69. During that time he was also Honorary Physician to the Queen in Scotland (1956-70) and President of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (1963-66). Educated at George Watson's College Edinburgh and the Universities of Edinburgh, Michigan and Vienna. He was a lecturer at University of Aberdeen (1933-37), and University of Edinburgh (1937-49). From 1938-1950 he was Asst. Physician, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Through the Second World War (1939-1945) he served in various military hospitals, becoming Consulting Physician, XIVth Army, Burma and ALFSEA (1944-1945). After retiring in 1969 he spent a year as a visiting Professor at the University of Teheran, then two years as Professor Emeritus, Dean, Medical Faculty, Haile Selaisse I University, Ethiopia.
Professor Christopher A. Whatley, Bonar Professor of History (1997-2004), Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2002-2006) and Vice Principal of the University of Dundee (2006-2014), is a leading expert on the Act of Union of 1707. To mark the 300th anniversary of the Act he produced a new volume on the subject 'The Scots and the Union ' (Edinburgh University Press 2006). Dr Derek Patrick was Professor Whatley's research assistant and contributed to the writing of the volume.
Victor Skretkowicz was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the 26th August 1942. He graduated with a BA from McMaster University, Canada in 1964, an MA from University of New Brunswick, Canada in 1967, and a PhD from University of Southampton in 1974. In 1978 he joined the University of Dundee as Lecturer in English and in 1993 became Senior Lecturer. In 1989 Victor Skretkowicz become Dundee University's representative on the Joint Council for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, and in 1992 was elected convenor directing the Edinburgh-based research team creating volumes 9-12 of A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001- 2002). The Joint Council consisted of representatives from Scotland's oldest universities and was responsible for the financial and intellectual management of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. In 2001, a project began to create an electronic version of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. The Dictionary of Scots Language was to comprise electronic editions of the two historical dictionaries of the Scots Language: the twelve volumes of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, containing information on Scots words from the twelfth century to the end of the seventeenth century (older Scots), and the ten volume Scottish National Dictionary, containing Scots words from 1700 -1970s (modern Scots). The project was based at the University of Dundee and was directed by Dr Victor Skretkowicz. The project was completed in 2004. The Scottish National Dictionary was produced by the Scottish National Dictionary Association (SNDA), now the Scottish Language Dictionaries Limited. The SNDA received an award from the Heritage Lottery Fund to update the dictionary with a new supplement which was made available as part of the Scots Language Dictionary in 2005. The Scots Language Dictionaries Limited is Scotland's lexicographical body for the Scots language. The organisation was formed in 2002 and is responsible for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish tongue, the Scottish National Dictionary and the Dictionary of Scots Language. From 2001-2002 Victor Skretkowicz was member of the Standing Committee leading a proposal for the establishment of an Institute for the Languages of Scotland, overseeing the Feasibility Study, for which a grant was awarded by the Carnegie Trust. The proposed Institute for the Languages of Scotland would serve the Scottish Universities and the nation by co-ordinating and disseminating information on research into all languages of Scotland, past and present. Dr Victor Skretkowicz retired from the English Department in October 2007. He died on July 22, 2009.
Born in Cumbria, and with a background in sheep farming, Mary was a mature student at Dundee University, graduating in English and History. Her doctoral thesis 'Rural Society in Scotland from the Restoration to the Union' was completed in 2004. She led an oral history project at Abernyte which examined social change in the 20th century and where she was an active member of the community. Her publications were wide and varied, including 'Scottish crop yields in the second half of the seventeenth century: evidence from the Mains of Castle Lyon in the Carse of Gowrie' in Agricultural History Review (2007) and co-author of ' Battered but Unbowed: Dundee c1603-1727' in the publication 'Dundee 1600-1800'. Mary also worked as part of the University Archive's teaching team, specialising in 17th century Scots palaeography and where she was also responsible for cataloguing the Glamis Castle muniments on behalf of the Earl of Strathmore. She also taught the interdisciplinary M.Litt course, Women, Culture and Society. Through her background in early modern social and economic history she also contributed to the Maritime Environment module of the MRes in Environmental History run in conjunction with the University of Stirling.
John William Kimber (1875-1918) was born on the 21st of December 1875, in Portsmouth. Little information is known about his early life, apart from that one of his siblings was called Robert Percy Kimber, and their parents were from the London area. John W. Kimber served in the Royal Navy from 24th July 1891 to 31st December 1905. He began as a volunteer and left the Navy with the rank of Petty Officer of the 1st class. Kimber married Ada Jane McKone in Islington around 1903 and they moved to 5 Panmure Place in Broughty Ferry around 1906. The couple had three daughters - one of whom was called Edith - and one son named John (known as Jack) Kimber. Kimber had trained as an Instructor in Physical Training in Portsmouth in 1904, and achieved his Educational Institute of Scotland certificate in November 1906. He came to work at the University College Dundee for five years as Superintendent of the Fleming Gymnasium. He also worked for the Dundee School Board and the Voluntary Schools of the City. Kimber enlisted in the army for the First World War. He became a Lieutenant in the 4th/1st Battalion of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). In his training for the war he attended the Grenadier School of Instruction at Scone Camp, and also attended the Northern Command School of Instruction. John William Kimber died at Givenchy, on the 11th of May 1918, aged 42. He is buried in Etaples Military Cemetery in Pas-de-Calais, France.
John Foggie, born 1855 in St. Andrews, was a Joiner (Master) and worked as a Chemical Laboratory Steward 1883-1884 and a Lecture Demonstrator in the Chemistry Department 1897, later working conconcurrently as a clerk of works within the University College. He died in 1930 of myocardial degeneration in Dundee.
Rosa Michaelson was a Senior Lecturer in Information Systems in the School of Business, University of Dundee. She worked in academia for over 30 years, with experiences as a research associate on several projects in different disciplines, including Electrical Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and Mechanical Engineering. Her first job in the University was in Mechanical Engineering (1986-88), her second post was 1990-2005 (Fellow in Business Computing in the Department of Accountancy and Business Finance), and she became senior lecturer in 2005. Rosa also managed department computing systems before becoming a lecturer in computer science. She was a founder member of Women in Computing (1984 onwards), and had a 40% secondment as the SHEFC Gender Equality co-ordinator from 2000-2003. In 2011 Rosa was awarded a PhD by the Institute of Education London; the topic was a socio-technical investigation of 30 years of educational technology adoption in higher education. She supervised postgraduates at both the masters and doctoral level. Rosa was active in the DAUT (Dundee Association of University Teachers). She retired in 2014.
Campbell Hewson was born on 23 May 1929. He and his wife moved to Dundee and took up residence in Monifieth in 1965. He was senior lecturer in the Education Department in the University. He started his research into Dundee with a view to taking a degree but in 1969 was offered a senior position with Kirkcaldy College of Technology, which he took which meant that he could not continue with his studies. He died after an accident in 2007.
Norma Starszakowna was Head of Textiles and Fashion, and Chair of Design at the University of Dundee between 1984 and 1998, prior to becoming Chair of the UK Research Assessment Panel for Art and Design, and Director of Research at the London Institute, then Director f Research Art, Architecture and Design at University of Lincoln. She is also a successful Textile Designer having produced textiles for several high profile international Fashion brands and commercial Brands. This material is made up of correspondence, biographical material, publications and cuttings from newspapers and other publications largely relating to her time with the University of Dundee and the students and their work
Chris Murray is the world's first Professor of Comics Studies and created the comics program at the University of Dundee. He also lectures in English and Film.
Patrick Geddes was born in Ballater in 1854 and later studied under Thomas Huxley at the Royal College of Mines in London between 1874 and 1878. He worked as a Biology demonstrator and zoology lecturer at Edinburgh University between 1880 and 1888. Geddes held the Chair of Botany at University College Dundee between 1888 and 1919, lecturing in the summer terms only. During his time as Professor of Botany at University College Dundee, he travelled extensively in America lecturing at many universities and published widely on town planning and urban studies. He was appointed to the Chair of Sociology at University of Bombay in 1919 and continued until 1924. Geddes was asked to design the new Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1919 and travelled to it's opening in 1924. He was knighted in 1932 and died the same year in Montpellier.
Results 101 to 125 of 2412