Showing 2403 resultsNames
Victor Skretkowicz was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the 26th August 1942. He graduated with a BA from McMaster University, Canada in 1964, an MA from University of New Brunswick, Canada in 1967, and a PhD from University of Southampton in 1974. In 1978 he joined the University of Dundee as Lecturer in English and in 1993 became Senior Lecturer. In 1989 Victor Skretkowicz become Dundee University's representative on the Joint Council for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, and in 1992 was elected convenor directing the Edinburgh-based research team creating volumes 9-12 of A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001- 2002). The Joint Council consisted of representatives from Scotland's oldest universities and was responsible for the financial and intellectual management of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. In 2001, a project began to create an electronic version of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. The Dictionary of Scots Language was to comprise electronic editions of the two historical dictionaries of the Scots Language: the twelve volumes of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, containing information on Scots words from the twelfth century to the end of the seventeenth century (older Scots), and the ten volume Scottish National Dictionary, containing Scots words from 1700 -1970s (modern Scots). The project was based at the University of Dundee and was directed by Dr Victor Skretkowicz. The project was completed in 2004. The Scottish National Dictionary was produced by the Scottish National Dictionary Association (SNDA), now the Scottish Language Dictionaries Limited. The SNDA received an award from the Heritage Lottery Fund to update the dictionary with a new supplement which was made available as part of the Scots Language Dictionary in 2005. The Scots Language Dictionaries Limited is Scotland's lexicographical body for the Scots language. The organisation was formed in 2002 and is responsible for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish tongue, the Scottish National Dictionary and the Dictionary of Scots Language. From 2001-2002 Victor Skretkowicz was member of the Standing Committee leading a proposal for the establishment of an Institute for the Languages of Scotland, overseeing the Feasibility Study, for which a grant was awarded by the Carnegie Trust. The proposed Institute for the Languages of Scotland would serve the Scottish Universities and the nation by co-ordinating and disseminating information on research into all languages of Scotland, past and present. Dr Victor Skretkowicz retired from the English Department in October 2007. He died on July 22, 2009.
Annie Chalmers Walden, nee Nicoll, was born 12 August 1915 at 3 Balfour Street, Dundee. The youngest of four daughters, their parents ran a working men's cafe in Hunter Street. Annie attended Harris Academy, 1926-1932, then began her studies at Dundee University College. By 1935 Annie had gained a first class degree in Science, and a year later with honours in Zoology. She was also captain of the College's athletics team. Annie had studied under Professor Peacock, and continued working with him as researcher and tutor until 1937. Annie then worked as an assistant guide lecturer at the Perth Museum for two years, then at Leicester Museums as an education assistant There, she met Trevor Walden, (who would become the director of the Burrell collection in Glasgow) and they married in 1941. During WW2, Annie was posted the the British Library, while her husband served in the Navy. Her research involved investigating beaches for the D day landings. In 1945 Annie left London and took the post of Director of Halifax Museum. After the war and the births of her children, Annie worked as a demonstrator in the Zoolology Dept of Leicester University and also taught in local schools and colleges as well as working for Leicester University Press. In 1973, she trained as a teacher at Jordanhill College, Glasgow, after which she taught science in a number of schools, her final post being at Clydebank High School. Annie had two sons, Ian and Neil; Ian graduated from Dundee in 1966 having studied Engineering, and her niece, Sheila, lectured at Dundee in Chemistry. Annie has lived in Bowling, West Dunbartonshire since 1973 and was, for 26 years, the Chair of the Bowling and Milton Community Council.
Professor Christopher A. Whatley, Bonar Professor of History (1997-2004), Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2002-2006) and Vice Principal of the University of Dundee (2006-2014), is a leading expert on the Act of Union of 1707. To mark the 300th anniversary of the Act he produced a new volume on the subject 'The Scots and the Union ' (Edinburgh University Press 2006). Dr Derek Patrick was Professor Whatley's research assistant and contributed to the writing of the volume.
George Soutar was born in 1864 at East Leys of Dun, his father's farm. In 1879 the family moved to Montrose to let George attend the Academy. His main subjects at school were Classics and English, as they were at St Andrews, which he entered in 1882. He won the English Poetry Prize for a poem on 'Immortality', and graduated in 1887 with First Class Honours in Classics. His interest in poetry extended to several verses in The University Magazine, some of them original, others translations from the Greek. During the years he spent teaching in Banff, Ramsgate, Dundee, and as English Master in Elgin and Helensburgh, he was working on a thesis on 'Nature in Greek Poetry', which gained him the degree of D Litt from St Andrews in 1897. He was appointed External Examiner in English at St Andrews, and, in 1907, was elected to the staff of University College, Dundee, first as Lecturer, afterward as Reader in English, until he retired in 1935. He continued as External Examiner in English for a second term. He had also represented the University for many years on the St Andrews Provincial Committee for the Training of Teachers, of which he was chairman at the time of his death. He published a volume of Selections from Pope, a Book of Ballads and two articles on Sir George Mackenzie in the Scots Magazine. His major works were the aforementioned thesis, covering the whole range of extant Greek Poetry, and a major contribution of Scots words and phrases from the Angus and Mearns, to the Scottish National Dictionary.
Adrian Hodd was employed by the University of Dundee as a Research Assistant in the Geography department in the early 1970's. During his time in the department he completed his PhD Thesis, "Draining the Carse of Gowrie", (1974-5), before going on to produce two further works in the same vein, "Runrig on the Eve of Agricultural Revolution in Scotland" (1974) and "Cultivation of Orchard Fruits in the Carse of Gowrie" (1975), both of which were published in the Scottish Geographical Magazine.
W. Henry de Wytt graduated from the University of Glasgow in 1895 and acted as lecturer on Materia Medica and Therapeutics at St Andrews University from c 1896-1898. In 1898 he applied for the position of Chair of Materia Medica at St Andrews University.
Walter E. Spear was born in Germany in 1921 and came to Britain just before the war. After studying at the University of London he joined the University of Leicester, where he met Peter LeComber - one of his students and a future collaborator. The two joined the staff of the University of Dundee in 1969. The research of Spear and LeComber into amorphous silicon brought them much interest from the engineering world, and caught the attention of numerous companies and groups. The Dundee group made numerous innovations in this field including the creation of the amorphous film silicon transistor, later to be used to great effect in LCD technology. Spear garnered much international recognition for his work, including the European Physical Society Europhysics prize (1976) and the Max Born Medal and Prize for Physics (1977). Spear and his team published many papers on their research including two widely considered to be ground breaking: Substantial Doping of Amorphous Silicon. Solid State Communications, Volume 17. 1975 and Amorphous silicon field effect device and possible application. Electronics Letters, volume 15, 1979. (With P.G. LeComber and A. Ghaith) Peter LeComber died in 1992, and Spear withdrew from the field of active research soon after. He died on February 21st 2008, at the age of 87.
Stuart McDonald was a Pathology lecturer at Birmingham University and later at Queen’s College, Dundee from 1945 to 1946. He died in 1946.
Dr Bruce Walker lectured at the School of Architecture at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art. He also worked for Historic Scotland initially as a district architect and then as a technical author. He has published widely on the history of building construction in Scotland. Bruce Walker was the supervisor for the conservation of Cottown Old Schoolhouse, Carse of Gowrie, Perthshire; the project was supported by grants from Historic Scotland. Under Bruce Walker's supervision the project pioneered a revival of traditional Scottish earth building techniques.
Professor J. Anderson, D.S.O., M.B., Ch.B., F.R.C.S.E. Professor of Surgery, University College, Dundee Professor John Anderson was born 1886 at Macduff, Banffshire. He graduated at Aberdeen University in 1908. After one year as a House surgeon at Dundee Royal Infirmary he became a surgical officer at the Beckett Hospital, Barnsley and then studied at Tuebingen and Berliner Universities. In these two years there he acquired a working knowledge of experimental and applied methods of research. In 1911 he came back to Dundee and worked as an assistant surgeon at Dundee Royal Infirmary. On the outbreak of the first World War he joined the R.A.M.C. He was made surgical specialist to the 20th Casualty Clearing Station in France and later served as consulting surgeon to the 3rd Army under Sir Henry Gray. In 1918 he was awarded the D.S.O. After World War I he continued his work with great ability and zealous devotion to surgery. He was elected to two of the most exclusive surgical clubs in the country, membership of the Moynihan Club entailed annual visits to the principal surgical clinics at home and on the continent. He was appointed to numerous hospital posts, including those of surgeon to the Royal Infirmary, to the Glenlomond Sanatorium, the Infants hospital and Arbroath Infirmary. Students and patients gave him the highest respect. In 1930 he married the child of Maj.-General E. G. Sinclair- Maclaganin. With her he had two children, Kathleen and Isobel Jean. He became a senior surgeon at Dundee Royal Infirmary and he succeeded the late Prof. Turton Price in 1933. At the age of 49 he died on August 17th 1935.
Christopher Bartlett, born 1931, was brought up in Dorset and graduated from University College, Exeter, with first class Honours in History in 1953. He was awarded his PhD from London school of Economics in 1956. From there he went on to hold appointments at the Institute of Historical Research, London, University College, London, the University of Edinburgh, and the University of the West Indies. In 1962 he came to Dundee as a lecturer in History at Queens College, and was appointed Reader in the Department of Modern History at Dundee University in 1968. He was appointed to a Personal Chair of International History in 1978. Steering the History Department through difficult times in the 1980s, on his retirement he was appointed Professor Emeritus. His research in International History focused on the Great Power Rivals since 1815, and Anglo-American relations since 1945. During his career he published books including Great Britain and Sea Power, 1815-53 (1963), The Rise and Fall of the Pax Americana: American foreign policy in the twentieth century (1974), A History of Post-war Britain, 1945-74 (1977), The Global Conflict: The International Rivalry of the Great Powers 1880-1990 (1984) and Peace, War and the European Powers 1814-1914 (1996). He was a Fellow of the Royal Historical Society, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. Chris Bartlett died October 2008
Sir Thomas Malcolm Knox, Principal of St. Andrews University 1953-1966, was born in 1900 and was educated at Bury Grammar School and the Liverpool Institute. In 1923 he gained a First in Literae Humaniores from Pembroke College, Oxford, and for the next eight years held various secretarial and executive positions in Lever Bros. Ltd. In 1931 he was accepted for the post as Lecturer in Philosophy at Jesus College, Oxford, and in 1933 he was subsequently appointed to an official Fellowship and Tutorship. In 1936 he moved to the Chair of Moral Philosophy at St. Andrews and in 1953 was finally confirmed as Principal. He retired in 1966 and died in 1980. Knox was known to philosophers in his capacity as translator of Hegel and as editor of the works of R.G. Collingwood. In recognition of his devotion to scholarship he received the Hon. D. Litt. from Glasgow and was elected Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 1955.
James Drever (1910-1991) was born in Edinburgh to Orcadian parents. He was educated at the Royal High School, Edinburgh, and at the Universities of Edinburgh and Cambridge. His training was in philosophy, but during his years as an Assistant in Philosophy at Edinburgh and a lecturer at Newcastle (and his service in the Royal Navy) he nurtured an interest in Psychology. In 1944, he was appointed to succeed his father, also James Drever (1873-1950), as Professor of Psychology at Edinburgh. He became Editor of the British Journal of Psychology and served as President of the British Psychological Society in 1960-1961. He further developed an interest in the theory, principles and practice of higher education and was appointed to the Committee on Higher Education, the Robbins Committee, in 1961, the report of which would lead to the expansion of university education in the United Kingdom, and led to Queens's College Dundee, becoming the University of Dundee. He was appointed as Master of Queen's College in 1966 to oversee its transition to University status and became the first Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Dundee upon its establishment in 1967. Under his leadership the newly independent instituion rapidly developed, although restrained by financial issues and changing government policies. He retired in 1978, but kept up his links with the University until his death in 1991 at the age of 81.
Sir Ian George Wilson Hill (1904-1982) was Professor of Medicine at University of Dundee, 1950-69. During that time he was also Honorary Physician to the Queen in Scotland (1956-70) and President of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (1963-66). Educated at George Watson's College Edinburgh and the Universities of Edinburgh, Michigan and Vienna. He was a lecturer at University of Aberdeen (1933-37), and University of Edinburgh (1937-49). From 1938-1950 he was Asst. Physician, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Through the Second World War (1939-1945) he served in various military hospitals, becoming Consulting Physician, XIVth Army, Burma and ALFSEA (1944-1945). After retiring in 1969 he spent a year as a visiting Professor at the University of Teheran, then two years as Professor Emeritus, Dean, Medical Faculty, Haile Selaisse I University, Ethiopia.
Professor Aylwin Drakeford Hitchin held the Boyd Chair of Dental Surgery at the University of Dundee from 1947-1977, and was Dean of the Dundee Dental Hospital and school for most of that time. Professor Hitchin had an international reputation for his work on the pathogenesis of dental abnormalities and received a number of professional accolades, including being awarded a CBE in 1970. Professor Hitchin died on October 1st, 1996.
Michael Masterson was appointed lecturer in political science at the University of Dundee (then Queen's College, Dundee) in 1965. He was a well-respected member of the politics department and became involved in issues surrounding the welfare of international students and student exchanges. In recognition of this he became the University's first co-ordinator of overseas student affairs. In 1995 this department was merged with schools liaison to form a new student recruitment service of which Masterson was made director. He retired from the university in 1998. He was also involved in local and community government in Dundee and in the 1970s carried out research on the early development of Community Councils in Scotland for the Scottish Office.
Professor G. P. Henderson was a lecturer in the department of Philosophy at the University of Dundee and the editor of the publication 'The Philisophical Quarterly'.
Dr Alec MacQueen, M.B., Ch.B., M.R.C.P.E., was born May 29, 1920, in Alexandria, Egypt. He was educated in Palestine and Fort Augustus Abbey School. In 1950 he joined the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry at Queens College, Dundee where he remained for the rest of his academic career. His research interest at first centred on diabetics but he soon became interested in problems of medical ethics such as euthanasia, organ transplants and abortion. His enthusiasm for debate led to the formation of a philosophy and science club centred on Dundee. MacQueen's methods of teaching anticipated later medical trends, in particular his use of clinical problems to demonstrate anatomy and his emphasis on students working independently with audio-visual aids. Alec MacQueen died in 1996.
James Alfred Ewing was born in Dundee in 1855. He was the youngest of the three sons of the minister of St Andrew's Free Church. He received his schooling in the city at West End Academy and Dundee High School before obtaining a scholarship to study for a degree in engineering at Edinburgh University. In 1878 he became Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Physics at the newly established University of Tokyo. While in Japan Ewing undertook research into earthquakes and devised new types of seismometer. He also studied magnetism and gave the name to the phenomenon of hysteresis. He was the first professor of Mechanical Engineering at University College, Dundee, a post he held from 1883 until 1890. Appalled by the living conditions of the working classes in Dundee, especially compared to those in Japan, he became involved in improving these conditions, particularly the sewage system. In 1890 he was appointed Professor of Mechanism and Applied Mechanics at Cambridge University. It was during this period The Steam Engine and other Heat Engines was published. Ewing left Cambridge in 1903 to become Director of Naval Education at the Admiralty in Greenwich, a position he held until 1917. He was knighted in 1911. At the outbreak of the First World War Ewing agreed to become head of "Room 40", a specialist unit involved in deciphering German coded naval messages. In May 1916 Ewing was appointed Principal and Vice-Chancellor of Edinburgh University, and under his leadership the institution subsequently went through unprecedented expansion. He retired in 1929 and died in 1935.
George Harvey Smith was a lecturer of Pathology, in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Dundee, 1938-1967. He began working as a demonstrator at the University of St. Andrews in 1938 and become a lecturer in 1943. The collection relates to his time as a student.
Dr James Caird was educated at Perth Academy, then graduated with First Class Honours in Geography in 1950. In 1951 the University of Renne, in Brittany, bestowed him with the degree of Docteur de L'Universite for his thesis entitled 'Iles celtiques de Bretagne et d'Ecosse'. He joined the University of Glasgow Geography Department as an assistant, then appointed as Lecturer in 1957, and Senior Lecture in 1967 He had been an Advisoer of Sudies in the Faculty of Arts since 1966. He then became Dean of Faculty of Arts from 1965-1966 at the University of Ife, Nigeria. He was keenly interested in the subject of the historical geography of Scotland, and the evolution of rural settlements and crofting. He was a member of the Institute of British Geographers, a member of its Population Studies Group and of the Geography Panel of the Scottish Universities Entrance Board. Dr. James Caird became Chair of Geography at Dundee University in 1975.
A native of Dundee, Robert Smith graduated BSc from Dundee University College in 1896 and in the same year was appointed to the botanical department of the college under Professor Patrick Geddes. During the winter session of 1896-1897 he studied at the University of Montpellier, under Professor Flahault, one of the leading European authorities on plant distribution at the time, and it was upon returning to Scotland after this study that he began to carry out his scheme for a botanical survey of this country, based upon the new continental methods he had learned. After Smith's premature death in August 1900, his brother William G Smith carried on his work and two further Botanical Survey of Scotland maps were published in 1905, Robert Smith being posthumously credited with collaboration in these efforts.
Andrew McLaren Carstairs was born in India, the son of a missionary, and was educated at George Watson's College and St Andrews University from where he graduated with a first in History and Economics. During the Second World War he worked with British military intelligence, then in 1948 was appointed to a lectureship in Political Economy at St Andrews University. From 1951 until 1965 he lectured in Economic History and then moved to what was then Queen's College Dundee where he was to become Senior Lecturer in Economic History. His research interests included not only economic history but also electoral systems and constitutions. Carstairs was interested in all aspects of University life. He was a sought after chairman for numerous committees and a strong supporter of the rugby club. He retired in 1979 and died in 1990 after a short illness.
Results 101 to 125 of 2403