Showing 2400 results

Names

Robert Smith

A native of Dundee, Robert Smith graduated BSc from Dundee University College in 1896 and in the same year was appointed to the botanical department of the college under Professor Patrick Geddes. During the winter session of 1896-1897 he studied at the University of Montpellier, under Professor Flahault, one of the leading European authorities on plant distribution at the time, and it was upon returning to Scotland after this study that he began to carry out his scheme for a botanical survey of this country, based upon the new continental methods he had learned. After Smith's premature death in August 1900, his brother William G Smith carried on his work and two further Botanical Survey of Scotland maps were published in 1905, Robert Smith being posthumously credited with collaboration in these efforts.

G. P. Henderson

Professor G. P. Henderson was a lecturer in the department of Philosophy at the University of Dundee and the editor of the publication 'The Philisophical Quarterly'.

Alexander Tulloch MacQueen

Dr Alec MacQueen, M.B., Ch.B., M.R.C.P.E., was born May 29, 1920, in Alexandria, Egypt. He was educated in Palestine and Fort Augustus Abbey School. In 1950 he joined the Department of Physiology and Biochemistry at Queens College, Dundee where he remained for the rest of his academic career. His research interest at first centred on diabetics but he soon became interested in problems of medical ethics such as euthanasia, organ transplants and abortion. His enthusiasm for debate led to the formation of a philosophy and science club centred on Dundee. MacQueen's methods of teaching anticipated later medical trends, in particular his use of clinical problems to demonstrate anatomy and his emphasis on students working independently with audio-visual aids. Alec MacQueen died in 1996.

Professor A.D. Hitchin

Professor Aylwin Drakeford Hitchin held the Boyd Chair of Dental Surgery at the University of Dundee from 1947-1977, and was Dean of the Dundee Dental Hospital and school for most of that time. Professor Hitchin had an international reputation for his work on the pathogenesis of dental abnormalities and received a number of professional accolades, including being awarded a CBE in 1970. Professor Hitchin died on October 1st, 1996.

Professor Ian Hill

Sir Ian George Wilson Hill (1904-1982) was Professor of Medicine at University of Dundee, 1950-69. During that time he was also Honorary Physician to the Queen in Scotland (1956-70) and President of the Royal College of Physicians in Edinburgh (1963-66). Educated at George Watson's College Edinburgh and the Universities of Edinburgh, Michigan and Vienna. He was a lecturer at University of Aberdeen (1933-37), and University of Edinburgh (1937-49). From 1938-1950 he was Asst. Physician, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Through the Second World War (1939-1945) he served in various military hospitals, becoming Consulting Physician, XIVth Army, Burma and ALFSEA (1944-1945). After retiring in 1969 he spent a year as a visiting Professor at the University of Teheran, then two years as Professor Emeritus, Dean, Medical Faculty, Haile Selaisse I University, Ethiopia.

Professor Christopher A. Whatley and Dr. Derek Patrick

Professor Christopher A. Whatley, Bonar Professor of History (1997-2004), Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (2002-2006) and Vice Principal of the University of Dundee (2006-2014), is a leading expert on the Act of Union of 1707. To mark the 300th anniversary of the Act he produced a new volume on the subject 'The Scots and the Union ' (Edinburgh University Press 2006). Dr Derek Patrick was Professor Whatley's research assistant and contributed to the writing of the volume.

Victor Skretkowicz

Victor Skretkowicz was born in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the 26th August 1942. He graduated with a BA from McMaster University, Canada in 1964, an MA from University of New Brunswick, Canada in 1967, and a PhD from University of Southampton in 1974. In 1978 he joined the University of Dundee as Lecturer in English and in 1993 became Senior Lecturer. In 1989 Victor Skretkowicz become Dundee University's representative on the Joint Council for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, and in 1992 was elected convenor directing the Edinburgh-based research team creating volumes 9-12 of A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001- 2002). The Joint Council consisted of representatives from Scotland's oldest universities and was responsible for the financial and intellectual management of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. In 2001, a project began to create an electronic version of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue. The Dictionary of Scots Language was to comprise electronic editions of the two historical dictionaries of the Scots Language: the twelve volumes of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, containing information on Scots words from the twelfth century to the end of the seventeenth century (older Scots), and the ten volume Scottish National Dictionary, containing Scots words from 1700 -1970s (modern Scots). The project was based at the University of Dundee and was directed by Dr Victor Skretkowicz. The project was completed in 2004. The Scottish National Dictionary was produced by the Scottish National Dictionary Association (SNDA), now the Scottish Language Dictionaries Limited. The SNDA received an award from the Heritage Lottery Fund to update the dictionary with a new supplement which was made available as part of the Scots Language Dictionary in 2005. The Scots Language Dictionaries Limited is Scotland's lexicographical body for the Scots language. The organisation was formed in 2002 and is responsible for the Dictionary of the Older Scottish tongue, the Scottish National Dictionary and the Dictionary of Scots Language. From 2001-2002 Victor Skretkowicz was member of the Standing Committee leading a proposal for the establishment of an Institute for the Languages of Scotland, overseeing the Feasibility Study, for which a grant was awarded by the Carnegie Trust. The proposed Institute for the Languages of Scotland would serve the Scottish Universities and the nation by co-ordinating and disseminating information on research into all languages of Scotland, past and present. Dr Victor Skretkowicz retired from the English Department in October 2007. He died on July 22, 2009.

Dr Mary Young (1948 - 2010)

Born in Cumbria, and with a background in sheep farming, Mary was a mature student at Dundee University, graduating in English and History. Her doctoral thesis 'Rural Society in Scotland from the Restoration to the Union' was completed in 2004. She led an oral history project at Abernyte which examined social change in the 20th century and where she was an active member of the community. Her publications were wide and varied, including 'Scottish crop yields in the second half of the seventeenth century: evidence from the Mains of Castle Lyon in the Carse of Gowrie' in Agricultural History Review (2007) and co-author of ' Battered but Unbowed: Dundee c1603-1727' in the publication 'Dundee 1600-1800'. Mary also worked as part of the University Archive's teaching team, specialising in 17th century Scots palaeography and where she was also responsible for cataloguing the Glamis Castle muniments on behalf of the Earl of Strathmore. She also taught the interdisciplinary M.Litt course, Women, Culture and Society. Through her background in early modern social and economic history she also contributed to the Maritime Environment module of the MRes in Environmental History run in conjunction with the University of Stirling.

John William Kimber

John William Kimber (1875-1918) was born on the 21st of December 1875, in Portsmouth. Little information is known about his early life, apart from that one of his siblings was called Robert Percy Kimber, and their parents were from the London area. John W. Kimber served in the Royal Navy from 24th July 1891 to 31st December 1905. He began as a volunteer and left the Navy with the rank of Petty Officer of the 1st class. Kimber married Ada Jane McKone in Islington around 1903 and they moved to 5 Panmure Place in Broughty Ferry around 1906. The couple had three daughters - one of whom was called Edith - and one son named John (known as Jack) Kimber. Kimber had trained as an Instructor in Physical Training in Portsmouth in 1904, and achieved his Educational Institute of Scotland certificate in November 1906. He came to work at the University College Dundee for five years as Superintendent of the Fleming Gymnasium. He also worked for the Dundee School Board and the Voluntary Schools of the City. Kimber enlisted in the army for the First World War. He became a Lieutenant in the 4th/1st Battalion of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). In his training for the war he attended the Grenadier School of Instruction at Scone Camp, and also attended the Northern Command School of Instruction. John William Kimber died at Givenchy, on the 11th of May 1918, aged 42. He is buried in Etaples Military Cemetery in Pas-de-Calais, France.

Linda Freehling

John Foggie, born 1855 in St. Andrews, was a Joiner (Master) and worked as a Chemical Laboratory Steward 1883-1884 and a Lecture Demonstrator in the Chemistry Department 1897, later working conconcurrently as a clerk of works within the University College. He died in 1930 of myocardial degeneration in Dundee.

Rosa Michaelson

Rosa Michaelson was a Senior Lecturer in Information Systems in the School of Business, University of Dundee. She worked in academia for over 30 years, with experiences as a research associate on several projects in different disciplines, including Electrical Engineering, Artificial Intelligence and Mechanical Engineering. Her first job in the University was in Mechanical Engineering (1986-88), her second post was 1990-2005 (Fellow in Business Computing in the Department of Accountancy and Business Finance), and she became senior lecturer in 2005. Rosa also managed department computing systems before becoming a lecturer in computer science. She was a founder member of Women in Computing (1984 onwards), and had a 40% secondment as the SHEFC Gender Equality co-ordinator from 2000-2003. In 2011 Rosa was awarded a PhD by the Institute of Education London; the topic was a socio-technical investigation of 30 years of educational technology adoption in higher education. She supervised postgraduates at both the masters and doctoral level. Rosa was active in the DAUT (Dundee Association of University Teachers). She retired in 2014.

Robert Campbell Hewson

Campbell Hewson was born on 23 May 1929. He and his wife moved to Dundee and took up residence in Monifieth in 1965. He was senior lecturer in the Education Department in the University. He started his research into Dundee with a view to taking a degree but in 1969 was offered a senior position with Kirkcaldy College of Technology, which he took which meant that he could not continue with his studies. He died after an accident in 2007.

Norma Starszakowna

Norma Starszakowna was Head of Textiles and Fashion, and Chair of Design at the University of Dundee between 1984 and 1998, prior to becoming Chair of the UK Research Assessment Panel for Art and Design, and Director of Research at the London Institute, then Director f Research Art, Architecture and Design at University of Lincoln. She is also a successful Textile Designer having produced textiles for several high profile international Fashion brands and commercial Brands. This material is made up of correspondence, biographical material, publications and cuttings from newspapers and other publications largely relating to her time with the University of Dundee and the students and their work

Professor Chris Murray

Chris Murray is the world's first Professor of Comics Studies and created the comics program at the University of Dundee. He also lectures in English and Film.

Sir Patrick Geddes

Patrick Geddes was born in Ballater in 1854 and later studied under Thomas Huxley at the Royal College of Mines in London between 1874 and 1878. He worked as a Biology demonstrator and zoology lecturer at Edinburgh University between 1880 and 1888. Geddes held the Chair of Botany at University College Dundee between 1888 and 1919, lecturing in the summer terms only. During his time as Professor of Botany at University College Dundee, he travelled extensively in America lecturing at many universities and published widely on town planning and urban studies. He was appointed to the Chair of Sociology at University of Bombay in 1919 and continued until 1924. Geddes was asked to design the new Hebrew University in Jerusalem in 1919 and travelled to it's opening in 1924. He was knighted in 1932 and died the same year in Montpellier.

Dr Alastair R. Ross (born 1941)

Dr Alastair R. Ross, born in 1941 is one of the leading figurative scupltors in the UK. A former lecutrer in Fine Art at the University of Dundee, Ross has also lectured in the USA and Malta. Ross is a fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors and has won many awards including the Society's Sir Otto Beit Medal, an Academician of the Royal Scottish Academy, an R.G.I. and an Hon. Fellow of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland. His works embrace a wide variety of artistic concepts, scales, media and contexts. Although, the human figure is at the core of Ross's work. His influences include Donatello, Ivan Mestrovich, Wilhelm Lehmbruck, Fritz Wotruba and Auguste Rodin.

Kate Stewart Fraser

Kate Stewart Fraser was born in Annfield Street, Dundee in 1886 and was the daughter of John Fraser. She was educated at Morgan Academy and Harris Academy and then University College, Dundee (which she attended 1905-1910) and was awarded an honours MA by the University of St Andrews in 1909. She had served as a pupil teacher at Hill Street School and later taught at Harris Academy, Dundee. During the Great War she emigrated to Canada where she married her fiancé Thomas Willock (Tom) Scott, an accountant from Wormit. They had two children Kathryn, known as Kay, a French teacher, and Thomas Stewart, known as Stewart. Kate Scott died in Toronto in 1974. Stewart Scott also became a teacher and died on 29th March 2006 in Toronto. He was survived by his second wife Maia and his three children.

James Fergusson McKellican

J.F.McKellican was educated at Blairgowrie High School and Dundee High School. He studied medicine at Queens College, Dundee and graduated in 1963, awarded the title of 'Student of the Year' in his graduation year. During a long career, Dr McKellican was employed in General Medical Practice,which included teaching and GP Consultant for the Centre for Medical Education, University of Dundee. McKellican retired from practice in 2002

James Ernest Cox

  • Person
  • 12 Sept 1876-17 July 1950

James Ernest Cox was the eldest son of Ada Mary Cox and Edward Cox of Cardean and Drumkilbo, Meigle. Educated at a preparatory school and at Uppingham, he then studied at Pembroke College, Cambridge, where he graduated B.A.

In 1899 he joined the firm of Messrs Cox Brothers. He became a leading authority in jute and in 1920, when Jute Industries Ltd acquired companies in the city, including Cox Brothers Ltd, he was chairman of the firm. From 1920 until 1948 he was a chairman of Jute Industries Ltd and its subsidiary companies and was a prominent figure in the business and commercial world. Following the death of his father In 1913 he joined the Board of the First, Second and Third Scottish-American Trust Company and the Northern American Trust Company. Later he became chairman of the companies and held these positions, along with that of chairman of the Camperdown Trust Company Ltd, until his resignation in 1947. He was a member of the local board of the Northern Assurance Company Ltd, and an extra-ordinary director of the Scottish Widows' Fund and Life Assurance Society. In 1919 he became president of the Chamber of Commerce and for many years he was a prominent member of the Association of Jute Spinners and Manufacturers.

In 1906 he became a member of the Council of University College, Dundee. Later he was appointed convener of the finance committee and in 1926 was appointed chairman of the council. In 1931 his services to the university were recognised when he received the honorary degree of LL.D. in 1931. He resigned from the chairmanship in 1939, and three years later was elected president of the College, a position he held for until 1946.

In 1934 he was appointed by the Scottish Secretary to the Committee on Scottish Health Services, established to review the entire national health policy and organisation in Scotland. JE Cox served for six years as a director of Dundee Royal Infirmary and wad also vice-president of the Royal Victoria Hospital. He was a General Commissioner of Income Tax for the Division of Dundee.

Dr Cox lived at Lyndhurst, Lochee prior to purchasing Methven Castle in 1922. The estate, of almost 1000 acres, comprised the mansion-house; policies and woodland; the home farm; and the farms of Easter Busby, Loanleven, and Easter, Middle and Wester Powside. He had an interest in agriculture, particularly pig breeding and won prizes at many shows, including several at the Royal Highland Show. He was also president of Methven Curling Club. While resident in Dundee Dr Cox was identified with St Margaret's Episcopal Church but after the purchase of Methven, he was prominently associated with St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, being treasurer of the Diocese of Brechin for 25 years.

He married Agnes Jane Tod in 1904. His wife, three sons, Commander David E. Cox, Michael George Cox and Douglas Hunter Cox and a daughter, Margot Cox, survived him. His first born son, Edward James Cox, had been killed in a motorcycle accident in 1925. A daughter Kathleen Mary Cox was born and died in 1911.

Helen Gill Parker (nee Irons)

  • Person
  • 1897-1969
Helen Irons was born in Perth, the eldest of four children. The family moved to Forfar where her railwayman father, William Irons, worked as the Station Foreman. Her Mother, Margaret Gill, was from Dundee.
Helen trained as a teacher at Dundee Training College, graduating in 1917. She worked as a teacher in Durham where she met and married William Parker, and had two children.
Her latter years were spent in Hampshire, where she had moved to be near her daughter.
Source: granddaughter
Results 101 to 125 of 2400